Hold off on Lollipop upgrade?

anon(6038817)

May 29, 2013
Visit site
I ordered my Moto X 2014 this week and am expecting it to arrive next week. I've been reading up on it and it seems there are still some bugs that need to be worked out in Lollipop. Some Moto X users are reporting various issues with it.

Is it worth it to upgrade to Lollipop right away, or is it better to stick with KitKat for the time being?

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
On the same fence here. It's not like Kit Kat sucks - it's perfectly fine. I don't see any obvious reasons why Lollipop is clearly superior, at least not yet. The supposed battery improvements are just beginning - maybe - to materialize. OTOH, the easiest, cleanest time to do the upgrade is with a blank slate new phone and it appears the 22.21.11 build is much less buggy.

Someone sell Lollipop to me - what does it have that I simply can't live without?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
I always wait until everyone else finds all the bugs, bricks their phones, etc. When it's all fixed (and there's a way to root that ROM - that's mandatory for me), I update.

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I moved to a Moto X about 3 weeks ago from a Nexus 5 that I sideloaded with Lollipop. I reckon its worth waiting till all is smooth with 5.0 before they release it fully. It is good (Lollipop) but not earth shattering. Patience is the order of the day :)

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
My N5 took a hit on the battery after going to 5.0. I am hoping my X arrives with 4.4.4 as I will be sticking with it until Google fixes 5.0..

cgardnervt

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
5.0 seems to be working for me for the most part! Google Now will error our and just reload here and there it seems. Nothing major and it still works just fine. battery even seems to last a little bit longer! Again, nothing ground breaking but I will take it. I got 5.0 VIA the soak test.

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
The version of L that hit Verizon (and the Pure edition was recently upgraded to) is really good. There's always some people who manage to install an app that drains their battery in 5 hours, but those people existed on KitKat too. In the 2 days I've been on L it's been really really smooth and battery has been very impressive with everything turned on (high accuracy location, bluetooth and wifi on 24x7 whether i use them or not, google now on, every item on my google account syncing, etc).

Whenever you upgrade to L (whether its immediately or a week later) I would recommend the following:

-Immediately do a factory reset
-Configure your phone
-Only install the apps you have to have for the first day or two (email clients, work IM clients, etc)
-Confirm battery is performing well
-Install your optional apps
-See if your battery is having issues

On2Vegas

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
I've been running 5.0 for about 2 weeks now (VZW) without any issue. Battery seems about the same to me, but I never had any problem with it before. As with any OS upgrade, some developers will not have optimized their app(s) so there could be the potential of a rogue app taking a hit to your battery. I haven't had any major app issue, except that for the last few days, Flipboard is showing unusually high battery usage. Other than that, I have no complaints or regrets with updating to Lollipop.

dmccracken42

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I've been on Verizon 5.0 for a couple of weeks now and have nothing but good things to say. The only bump in the road was a factory reset after upgrading. The battery life was really bad right after I upgraded. But since the factory reset I'm getting >24 hours of usage. Withe 4.4.2 I never saw more than 15 hours.

-Dennis-

mrjspeed

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I'm also seeing nothing but good things from 5.0 on my pure edition. I read horrible things from Nexus owners but I still decided to upgrade regardless. I have yet to find any major bugs. I've adopted the new features in L and am glad I didn't wait.

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
I got the update last night. I went ahead and cleared the system cache after the update finished, but so far I have not found any bugs. I specifically looked at things people have reported (funky wifi, bluetooth, and video playback among others) and nothing seems amiss on either my Moto X or my 2013 Nexus 7 (which also got the update last night). We'll see how battery life does.

anon(5002059)

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I have the Pure Edition and I am having no issues with the upgrade.
I am looking forward to the 2013 getting it too.
Its very nice. I was kinda nervous having been thru the iOS 7 "upgrade" that brought a horrid color scheme but it was for nothing.
I actually think my phone is purring.

Posted via the Android Central App

anon(6038817)

May 29, 2013
Visit site
Great responses so far. Thanks!

Do you think I'd have better results if I upgraded to Lollipop right away and then do a factory reset before installing any apps or customizing things?

Robisan

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Whenever you upgrade to L (whether its immediately or a week later) I would recommend the following:

-Immediately do a factory reset
-Configure your phone
-Only install the apps you have to have for the first day or two (email clients, work IM clients, etc)
-Confirm battery is performing well
-Install your optional apps
-See if your battery is having issues

This is the argument for just upgrading right out of the new box, since I'm going to be doing all of this setup anyway. However, I see on another thread you started that Lollipop overrides some of the Moto Assist functions in a significantly negative way. So I'd ask, what does L give you that makes it worth losing those functions? If you could revert to Kit Kat with zero hassle to get the MA features back would you? If not, what specifically makes L superior other than it's newer?

sharkita

Dec 7, 2013
Visit site
Great responses so far. Thanks!

Do you think I'd have better results if I upgraded to Lollipop right away and then do a factory reset before installing any apps or customizing things?

That's what I would do. I am planning to do a factory reset with my X once AT&T sends Lollipop my way, since it appears that more people have found that necessary rather than just wiping the system cache. Since I've had my X for awhile it's going to be a more time-consuming process, but I really want the best results I can get with the update. Ignoring it and trying to stay on KitKat isn't an option for me, since I will feel compelled to upgrade, just like I felt compelled to get the 2014 X as soon as it became available. Patience is NOT one of my virtues.

kadmanMusic

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
Only hiccup I've had is my camera kept crashing and wouldn't register the photos I thought I had taken. I restarted the phone and it seems to be working again, but maybe I will do a factory reset just to make sure the bugs are out.

Posted via the Android Central App

laytoncy

Nov 8, 2014
Visit site
^^This exactly. I'd do exactly that, especially if starting from brand new :)

This will be my first Android phone so you could say I'm new to Android. I have a Nexus 2013 WiFi on Lollipop now. I want Lollipop on my Moto X which should hopefully be here next week. What are the benefits of a factory reset before upgrading to Lollipop if the phone is brand new untouched?

Green_Laser

Sep 4, 2010
Visit site
What are the benefits of a factory reset before upgrading to Lollipop if the phone is brand new untouched?

I'd say mainly peace of mind. At this point in time, I've heard it's not necessary to factory reset a new device as it used to be rule number 1 on previous and older devices.
I did it to my moto x when I got it, though I don't really have proof that really did anything. All I can say (to myself mainly) is that I for sure started from scratch.

For the record, I started on KitKat and am still on it since I got phone in Oct. I have the update but have not yet applied it. I'm leaning toward upgrading and then factory resetting it. My main con to that is setting everything back up again (gmail accounts, app settings, wallpaper, launcher, icon theme, widgets, you get the pic :)

In your case however, I would do exactly like you mentioned. Right after you get phone, upgrade it and then factory reset it, even if the upgrade itself is still going to fully clear/reset those registers correctly, a factory reset can't hurt anyways, especially if you haven't set phone up yet.

Also, factory reset is not a long process, just the setting phone up part.

Hope that helps.

Disturbed_Angel

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
My plan is to update to 5.0, and then rest, then set up my Moto X once it arrives. The nice thing is that I have a Nexus 5 with 5.0 on it, and while I didn't reset it, and it is sucking the battery pretty quick, its just a extra device I keep in my room. This is helpful because I have been setting it up from 'extra device' mode to 'how I would use it full time' mode, and my hope is that this will make the set up post update and reset somewhat quicker and easier (and if thats not true, leave me my delusions! ;) ).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vaibh