Holy idle Batman.

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Got a new Pixel 7 yesterday. All the updates are done. But look at my idle.

What's going on here?

Got suspended in a group on FB for posting a battery question. But 42% isn't a normal battery question I wouldn't think.

Need some advice. Screenshot_20230326-083003.jpg

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I never really fully understood what the idle stats represent. I never really bothered to look into it either as for me it was never a big concern. In your case for example, was the phone last taken off the charger 8 hours ago and it has only lost 20 percent, and 42 percent of that 20 percent loss was as a result of idle cycles/processes? Where you using your phone heavily or lightly (seems probably quite lightly) during those 8 hours? What accounts for the other roughly 11 percent not shown?

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Was light usage. A few Facebook scrolling. 20% loss while the phone is idle is bonkers to me. I restrict almost all apps to only refresh when I open them. I read this battery drain idle issue relates only to 6a and 7 models. But only came to find this out after getting it.

spARTacus

Sep 9, 2018
Visit site
I was guessing it was closer to about 8 percent loss overall from idle over the 8 hrs, since it's 42 percent of the 20 percent loss, isn't it?

jordans0nly

Jun 26, 2010
Visit site
Possibly. Never had an issue with any other devices. Sigh. Google chat isn't any help. They're wanting me to take it to ubreakifix. That won't help anything.

Gary_Berg

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I suspect that overall power drain was very light, so idle was a large proportion of that. Use the phone more for a while so you can see if the percentage falls.

I mean, idle draw is going to be a certain amount of mah for a certain length of time. If you do nothing else it might be a large proportion of total power draw, but if you use the phone normally it'll be much smaller.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Your cell signal doesn't look very good -- is that at home? Poor cell signal can drain the battery (even if you're connected to wi-fi). You could test to see if the poor signal is the main cause of drain by testing it in Airplane Mode (but you can still keep wi-fi on and use wi-fi calling).

Also, since you just got the phone yesterday, keep in mind that (a) the first day of a phone is often a big battery drain, as you're installing and updating a ton of things (including the system), and (b) the system is still learning your usage pattern over the first few days, so battery life can be unsettled during this period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rjogi3777