Honor 6x or 8?

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys

Hope you can help :) I have a superb S7 Edge as my personal phone but I am realising that it is too good for my needs and as we have an extension upcoming and I just fancy a cheaper phone instead, all I use it for during my working day is sending/responding to emails some internet browsing and about 30 minutes of a drama using Netflix while I have a sandwich in my car between calls :)

I own the handset but can probably sell it for around the £350 mark (UK) I don't want to spend that much on a phone and I think a nice mid range phone would be perfect so I am drawn to the Honor phones as they seem to be getting good user reviews, the 8 is very appealing but it will cost me around £300 and ideally I would rather spend nearer £200 so what do you reckon is the new 6x the way to go? I like the idea of a 5.5" screen but I know the smaller screen would be fine as well.

I will miss the stunning screen on the Edge but as it is Amoled burn in does concern me slightly and with a new phone a 1080 hd screen will be more than good enough, I have considered a Oneplus 3 but they will be too expensive and I even considered the Moto G4 4th Gen but they don't get good reviews on build quality/support etc so I reckon Honor might be the way to go so any advice re which model would be great :)

Thanks

Last edited:

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Re: Honor 5x 6x 7 or 8?

Honor 8 definitely. Nougat update coming start of next month. And an incredible phone.
Look out for some deals, I should think there will be January sales offers.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Honor 8 definitely. Nougat update coming start of next month. And an incredible phone.
Look out for some deals, I should think there will be January sales offers.

Well I thought someone would say that after all I am on the Honor 8 thread :) the 8 is the one that I would prefer and at £250 I would go for it so I hope there will be a deal on I suppose Amazon UK is the best bet as Honor aren't that readily available here are they.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Well I thought someone would say that after all I am on the Honor 8 thread :) the 8 is the one that I would prefer and at £250 I would go for it so I hope there will be a deal on I suppose Amazon UK is the best bet as Honor aren't that readily available here are they.

How much is the 6x where you are? I read articles that the honor 6x is around $150 , which is around £123. IMO, the 6x is a better deal if you can get it for half as much as the honor 8. The honor 8 is better for sure but not twice as good IMO

You can also look at the z2 which has the snapdragon 820, 64gb internal,4gb ram,fhd for $170 which is around £138.

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the reply I agree re the 6x being the better choice it isn't released in the UK just yet so I have no idea on price but I hope it is well under £200 as the cheapest 8 I can find is £299 on Amazon UK don't forget I am in rip off UK, also I have had plenty of dearer phones in my time but after really thinking about it I would easily get by with a nice mid range phone, can I ask what make is the Z2 you mentioned?

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Ahhh I have just been trying to find that Z2 is it a Lenovo phone if so I just don't like Lenovo and it looks like what it is which is a cheap phone, I just fancy trying an Honor phone as they are nice looking quite stylish phones :) the 6x will be perfect for my needs but it depends on the price in the UK as we always pay way more for phones!

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Ahhh I have just been trying to find that Z2 is it a Lenovo phone if so I just don't like Lenovo and it looks like what it is which is a cheap phone, I just fancy trying an Honor phone as they are nice looking quite stylish phones :) the 6x will be perfect for my needs but it depends on the price in the UK as we always pay way more for phones!

Most definitely.... the z2 gives you a lot of bang for the specs, but while i would agree that the honor 8 is a better looking phone, the Zuk z2 isn't bad, IMO, considering the price and specs

ccddb6866c05f0a4edfe61c5facca22e.jpg

13e153dd87276f05af498456051c00e9.jpg

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Apparently lenovo software has dodgy support but don't quote me on that.

While i have had good performance and fairly quick software updates on the Honor 8, the same can't be said about my honor 5x which seems to have really slow updates compared to the Honor 8, and somewhat poor performing for the specs.

With regards to Lenovo, the Moto g4 was pretty meh , but my Moto z droid and Moto z play droid had pretty decent support ( the z droid got nougat a few months ago) and performed really well. The moto z play droid has octa core a53 just like the honor 5x , though moto uses 14nm.

Support wise, I haven't had a problem that required support on my Lenovo phones but in the ,pastI just go through my carrier and they will send me a replacement phone with overnight delivery.

Last edited:

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that and you are right it has great specs for the price but after reading a review they liked it but said it has to be loaded with new firmware due to it only being used in China so that causes problems in other countries (not that I understand any of that) :)

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I suppose I am quite biased as I just bought an Honor 8 about two weeks ago, but I would definitely recommend it to anyone who is looking for a great device with flagship-like performance for a great bargain.

Etyrnus

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
The 6x is interesting, I need to read through everything released about it though. It seems more like a slight improvement or update to the 5x whereas the 8 is considered flagship tier. Really the decider is which fits your budget and needs better. I personally have an 8, with a LeEco S3 and a Honor 5x as backups.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
The 6x is interesting, I need to read through everything released about it though. It seems more like a slight improvement or update to the 5x whereas the 8 is considered flagship tier. Really the decider is which fits your budget and needs better. I personally have an 8, with a LeEco S3 and a Honor 5x as backups.

The 5x had some performance issues but going from 28 to 16 is a significant improvement, not to mention at least doubling the internal storage and 50% more ram... And of course the second camera.

All this to me is more than just a slight improvement. It seems like something that most people could use ... Similar to the moto z play. It obviously isn't meant to have flagship specs, but at the same time an Honor 8 retails for 60% more...

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Well I don't know what to do now as I did fancy this phone and they are offering a 10% discount on the Honor UK site which makes it a bit more attractive but some reviews have said the display is not that bright and I do like a bright display :) I have just been offered a 99% mint LG G4 on my watch forum for only £155 it is a year old at the end of this January but it was bought as a back up phone and has not been used but I am thinking the G4 is a far superior phone to the 6x especially at this price, what do you reckon?

I know there is the G4 bootloop problem to worry about!

In fact the more I read about the bootloop problem the more I think even at that bargain price it isn't worth buying as I know it will happen to me.

Last edited:

andy a

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
Ahh won't it! I didn't know that. I have gone off the idea of the G4 as I really want Nougat and the bootloop issue is just too big a risk to take on so back to square one :)

Guytronic

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
(Off topic alert)
I have a G4 also.
Great phone IMO the bootloop scare caused me to put it away or consider selling it.

I wasn't sure if my honor 8 would replace it yet it has become my pocket partner.
The 6X does look fine I'll wait for the price to dump before getting serious.

The premium looks and feel of the 8 have spoiled me.