Horrible battery life!

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I picked up my One on Thursday and I have found the battery life to be a joke. It is almost as bad as the GNex. For example, I put my screen brightness on low and screen timeout at 15 seconds. I close all apps and between midnight and 7am I had lost 21% in standby. That is not acceptable. During the day I can only make it until noon before I need to charge it. I hope that the battery life will improve by next week or I will be taking this back. I love everything about the phone but this battery life could be the downfall of this phone.

Bm96

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
It's probably too soon for you to decide. Aren't you still setting up and getting used to the phone? It will get better over time once you know how to maximize your overall battery usage, but I have only noticed good things about my One and I also picked it up Thursday.

Posted via Android Central App

XavierMatt

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I picked up my One on Thursday and I have found the battery life to be a joke. It is almost as bad as the GNex. For example, I put my screen brightness on low and screen timeout at 15 seconds. I close all apps and between midnight and 7am I had lost 21% in standby. That is not acceptable. During the day I can only make it until noon before I need to charge it. I hope that the battery life will improve by next week or I will be taking this back. I love everything about the phone but this battery life could be the downfall of this phone.

You could have a bad unit. Mine gives me 8 hours of heavy usage, 16 hours of medium usage and 24 of light to very light usage. - Plus if it's new you may need to run through a few charge cycles etc.

HTC ONE ~ Android Central App

darryjr

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
It may be your phone or weak signal and phone struggling to connect to network. I am moderate to heavy user, 3 hrs screen time, 2 push email accounts. I get up to 15 hours fairly easy.. However, I have the sprint version and have power saver enabled. I don't think Verizon has that option, either way I'd check signal or exchange unit. There are a lot of people out there that praise the battery on this phone.

Frankie15

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
I got 13 hours with over 5 hours on screen time yesterday. That is great to me because I barely reached 3 hours of screen on time on my previous phone. This was on WiFi the entire time though. I agree that it's too early to judge battery life though.

NickA

Sep 15, 2010
Visit site
Battery life has been on par for me compared to my other smartphones. I was at 41% last night when it went on the charger (16 hours from full charge), and I'm sure it will get better from there after a few more charging cycles.

I always factory reset my phones as soon as I walk out the door with them, or they come in the mail. Try that and don't install any apps, and see what you get for battery life. If it's still bad, then just swap the phone.

Making statements like "battery life is a joke" doesn't give us much to go on either. Blanket statements like that don't help anyone. Give us some statistics, maybe post some screen shots of your battery usage.

Army21

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Mine was in standby for about 9 hours last night and only lost 7% I would look for something else draining the battery or exchange it as a bad unit.

jeverts

Nov 23, 2010
Visit site
I got today, my 1st full day off 100 percent charge almost 12 hrs of heavy use, down to 50 percent

Sent from my One

Bm96

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm at 60% after 13 hrs

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 4

Hey Joe thanks for assisting us anxiously moving up to the release date.... I'm glad I got the phone and you're info was mostly spot on!

I'm happy someone who actually works for Verizon uses the forums on the regular. :)

Joe the Insider

Trusted Member
Feb 19, 2011
Visit site
Hey Joe thanks for assisting us anxiously moving up to the release date.... I'm glad I got the phone and you're info was mostly spot on!

I'm happy someone who actually works for Verizon uses the forums on the regular. :)

No problem, I just wish you guys didn't have to deal with uninformative people near you. Glad to help though, hopefully you guys are enjoying the Phone as much as I am.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 4

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
You guys realize standby time is pretty meaningless when it comes to battery life, right? Most people charge their phone daily. Screen on time is a MUCH more accurate indicator of battery performance; even that is pretty terrible as usage can vary so much. I've killed my phone battery by noon and I've had it last until 2AM, its so dependent on usage.

between midnight and 7am I had lost 21% in standby.
There is definately something amiss with your phone, its either an app drain or a defective battery, almost all the new Android phones, including the One have EXCELLENT standby time.

This is excellent.
Whats your screen on time? (Post your usage screen)

techgeek32#WN

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
I have full bars of 4g coverage in my area so that is not the problem. I have deleted most of my apps and performed a hard reset and I still lose 20% overnight. I know that some phones require time to stabilize the battery longevity and that is why I will be keeping it for the full 2 weeks to see if it improves. I don't think I have a bad phone and haven't noticed any abnormalities other than the Google apps error code. Just wanted to see if anyone else was having issues. My DNA is getting better battery life right now due to the excellent standby strength. I love the phone and hope the battery life improves.

Groovysunflowers

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I've been wondering if I have a bad unit as well. I'm not really tech savvy when it comes to battery life, as in I honestly don't know how to read the usage charts and what they mean. I noticed the Verizon One doesn't have the power saver option either, I wonder why they took that out (but were perfectly comfortable loading my phone with 7+ gb of bloatware!). I've noticed that I'm not getting as much battery life as I was expecting to....for example when I wake up, take my phone off the dock (using the included cable and wall adapter, just a dock that it plugs into) and I check my alerts from overnight, I will watch it go from 100% to 88 or 89% within 10-15 minsm or at least 1-2% every couple minutes. I don't keep my brightness up very high at all because of my glaucoma, and I'm still getting used to the phone and trying to find ways to maximize the battery life.

If I try to go all day off the charger (as in starting with 100% at around 11 am) the lowest I've gotten it was 26% in a matter of 6-7 hours. I completely forgot to do a factory reset out of the store though. Normally I'd have no problem doing it now BUT HTC Sync Manager randomly started working last night so I was finally able to get all my info from my iPhone transferred over, and don't want to risk it not working again LOL (and it took forever to organize everything!). Do I have a defective unit? I can post the usage screenshot if it'll help, but it's only been off the charger today from 11-1:17 and with little usage it's at 83% right now.

Edit: I've also noticed most of the time I have a full signal but there are a few times where I only get 3 bars. Would my unit be struggling to find the signal in that case? I also set up email to manually sync or smart sync so I'm trying to limit how much is running in the background.

Shawn_S

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Delete any crap apps you don't need
Disable the crap you can't delete
Download snap dragon battery guru - it has helped me with my DNA.
Edit - the snap dragon app has a power save mode.
Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

Last edited:

BBSeattle

Sep 9, 2010
Visit site
Take it back... something is not right.
I have had mine 3 days and the battery has been incredible.
On at 5:00, now 2:30... couple of calls and surfing Android Central on and off while watching the Little League World Series... at 94%.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
onais