How can a FL grandma video call children in IL on a Xoom?

lesmisman

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Before we buy an Android tablet, can someone tell me IF and HOW I can get a WiFi Android tablet to work for my elderly mother in FL so that she can just touch screen icons (without messing with a laptop keyboard) to do a video phone call to our laptop or IPod here in IL? I assume that Skype video calls do not work with Android 2.2 devices, but I get confused when I see/hear on YouTube that others are doing video calls with Android Tablets. I want her to have a tablet (minimum 7-in?) for ease of use. I prefer PC/Android to Iphone/Apple. Please error on the side of too much info. Thanks.

DreamSTi

Nov 18, 2009
Visit site
I use Fring to talk to my wife from my Android phone to her iPhone. And its free.

Edit: I would think there are much cheaper options out there if thats all she's really going to use the Xoom for FYI.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Gtalk (Google Talk) will be the main video-calling system on the XOOM. Skype will be coming soon but we don't know when yet. The best way to do the video calling will be for her to use her Gmail account and open the "Talk" app. Then you open your laptop to your Gmail account and on the left side you should see the option to IM with her. Just click the video icon and bam, video call.

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
Fring is good. I also tried Tango once, it was OKAY. I thought I read somewhere that the Xoom had like a baked in video call software.

jaeisber

May 25, 2010
Visit site
It does, it is google talk. Google Talk has video chat as well as voice only and text chat. I have used it many times for video calling. Works great. Video and audio quality is great assuming you have good bandwidth.

zmenchhofer

Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
It does, it is google talk. Google Talk has video chat as well as voice only and text chat. I have used it many times for video calling. Works great. Video and audio quality is great assuming you have good bandwidth.

also should work on 3g.... apples facetime works on VZW 3g but not on ATT 3g

neller2000

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
And before you buy your grandmother a Xoom because you might prefer Android over iOS, consider she might prefer ease of use. I want a Xoom, yes, but if I had a grandmother who wanted video calling, I'd buy her an iPad 2. It supposedly can do videocalling over FaceTime and Skype.

It will be revealed March 2nd I believe and available for purchase probably in April sometime.

neller2000

Jan 19, 2010
Visit site
That is correct.

But the XOOM Gtalk will work on 3G.

So will the iPad's Skype and other VoIP apps. My iPhone 4 can run Skype smoothly on 3G no problem. It's only FaceTime as far as I know.

If this is for a grandmother, the iPad 2 might be the best option by far.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
And before you buy your grandmother a Xoom because you might prefer Android over iOS, consider she might prefer ease of use. I want a Xoom, yes, but if I had a grandmother who wanted video calling, I'd buy her an iPad 2. It supposedly can do videocalling over FaceTime and Skype.

It will be revealed March 2nd I believe and available for purchase probably in April sometime.
Why not have her just wait for teleportation? This way she can be there, then just teleport home.

There are a lot of rumors about the iPad2. Not sure grandma has enough time left to be chasing technology.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
Why not have her just wait for teleportation? This way she can be there, then just teleport home.

There are a lot of rumors about the iPad2. Not sure grandma has enough time left to be chasing technology.

There's no need for hyperbole. Apple is announcing the iPad 2 - with 2 cameras - next Wednesday. Android isn't for everyone

jaeisber

May 25, 2010
Visit site
There's no need for hyperbole. Apple is announcing the iPad 2 - with 2 cameras - next Wednesday. Android isn't for everyone

But iOS isnt for everyone either. Personally, I don't find iOS to be more user friendly than Android. I honestly think that those who think iOS is easier to use have never used Android.

I constantly find myself searching through my iPhone to find various settings and information that I may need. One my Nexus One, I know exactly where it is and how to get to it.

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
But iOS isnt for everyone either. Personally, I don't find iOS to be more user friendly than Android. I honestly think that those who think iOS is easier to use have never used Android.

I constantly find myself searching through my iPhone to find various settings and information that I may need. One my Nexus One, I know exactly where it is and how to get to it.

Ugh, don't get me started on the settings menu in iOS. It's a total clusterf**k of app listings for their individual settings. I'd like how Android has the setting for the app IN the actual app.

cparker5

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Ugh, don't get me started on the settings menu in iOS. It's a total clusterf**k of app listings for their individual settings. I'd like how Android has the setting for the app IN the actual app.
When your Old waiting until June can make it already too late!