How can I read a barcode off the screen of a Nexus 5x?

A

AC Question

how can I read a barcode off the screen of a nexus 5x.

how can I read a barcode off the screen of a nexus 5x. I want to use reward cards and gift cards and AIRLINE BOARDING passes off the screen but every scanner I have tried cannot read the barcode off the screen of my phone

Various apps allow you to save the barcodes on rewards cards (even Android Pay!) but they are of new use because the barcode scanners at stores cannot read the barcode off the screen for some reason. I could do this on my Galaxy S4.

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Re: how can I read a barcode off the screen of a nexus 5x.

Do you have a screen protector on your device? Perhaps the screen protector is causing the scanner to fail to read the barcode due to halo effect. I had that problem on my 2013 Moto X, due to the screen protector. When I removed the screen protector, the barcodes scanned properly.

kiwi13605

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site
Sorry, this seems to be a nexus problem. No screen protector and all the rewards cards apps have the same problem. Not much good putting my rewards cards in the app if the scanner can't read them off my screen. Even Android Pay doesn't work and I have tried several others.

I know of other Nexus users who have noticed the same thing.

PhiPsi32

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

I have not had any issues with bar codes on the 5X or 6P.

Increase the screen brightness to maximum before scanning. This will eliminate most problems.

kiwi13605

Feb 3, 2016
Visit site

Thanks for replying. I have the screen at max brightness. The barcodes are large and clear. The barcode scanners I have tried all used to read my Galaxy S4 no prob (gas stations, retail stores etc).

The scanners don't even try to grab the barcode - they just act like there is nothing there. I thought about turning the back light off, maybe the light is blinding the scanner? Of course there is no way to turn the light off.

Bwana#AC

May 10, 2011
Visit site

I have auto brightness on and have had no problem with scanners being able to to read barcodes. I currently am having something scanned almost daily, and have used it in multiple apps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salpha