How can I stop my phone from reloading my apps whenever I come back to them?

Fr8x

Aug 18, 2018
Visit site
This is driving me crazy. It's impossible to multi task. I'm on uber. I get a text message, read it, get back to Uber and now it's loading from scratch in the middle of my trip. Go to my browser to complete the post i was typing but now it's reloading, and it's cleared my message and now I have to type it all over again. Go back to Google maps and I have to re-search the place and the direction. On Skype, go to contacts to retrieve a number but now it's dropped my call. It's extremely frustrating.

My phone is Huawei 2017 MYA L22. Its on Android 6.0. 2GB RAM.

I've gone through all the battery optimization options on the phone but it hasn't solved the problem. I've also gone through the development option. I have a phone with 1GB RAM, although, really slow, it will never kill or reload apps, everything is right where I left it. With this phone I almost never reach 1GB of usage and it acts like I'm using everything it's got.

It doesn't matter how long I'm gone for. It could be 1 sec...it'll still do it.

It's not rooted (would love to root it but that's another problem. Can't find the method to).

Any help would be greatly appreciated guys!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Huawei is notorious for overly aggressive RAM management. Their firmware is designed to kill apps fairly quickly, in an effort to prioritize battery over all else. This is the reason why the VLC developers decided to stop supporting Huawei devices: https://www.androidcentral.com/bloc...through-play-store-craziest-thing-happen-week. It sounds like you've already done what you can with Huawei's system settings -- there may not be much else you can do on that phone.

chanchan05

Q&A Team
Nov 22, 2014
Visit site
B. Diddy..
So no way around it? Even if I root?
Root will only give you administrator access to do additional things. It won't magically change your phone's performance. Your phone has too little RAM to run all the stuff you want it to run. Either buy a new phone with 3GB RAM or use different apps with less of a memory footprint.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think is though I have another phone with ibly 1gb ram that doesn't act this way.

What's "recenrs"? How do I get there?

It has to do with the firmware. Your other phone is presumably not a Huawei phone, and therefore its firmware probably isn't as aggressive about killing apps in the background.

Recents is the square button to the right of the Home button.

Fr8x

Aug 18, 2018
Visit site
Well thats a bummer! If there is no fix for this then I'm going to have to get rid of it and get another phone...a non-Huawei one. And I just got this phone too! I knew I should have gotten a Samsung! Are all Huaweis like this? How can anyone like this or even tolerate it? It's absolutely unusable. You literally have to wait 5-15 secs every time you get back to an app for it to load. And what makes it even more frustrating is that it loads from scratch so you lose everything you were doing...like this post here. Mid post, I changed the keyboard from Huawei to Gboard, came back and my post was gone and I had to retype it. You cannot multi task AT ALL. Why isn't there a commotion about this? I did my research and read plenty of reviews before getting this phone and I saw or read nothing about this. How? Googling this problem shows nothing...I can't be the only one bothered by it!

Any yes, I AM using the recent to toggle between apps and if anything I think getting to the apps that way makes it worst because if i keep hitting back to get to the app I was at, I get a better chance of finding it the way I left it. Through recent it's guaranteed to reload from scratch.

Eould removing the bloatware through root make a difference?

Rom-er

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Well thats a bummer! If there is no fix for this then I'm going to have to get rid of it and get another phone...a non-Huawei one. And I just got this phone too! I knew I should have gotten a Samsung! Are all Huaweis like this? How can anyone like this or even tolerate it? It's absolutely unusable. You literally have to wait 5-15 secs every time you get back to an app for it to load. And what makes it even more frustrating is that it loads from scratch so you lose everything you were doing...like this post here. Mid post, I changed the keyboard from Huawei to Gboard, came back and my post was gone and I had to retype it. You cannot multi task AT ALL. Why isn't there a commotion about this? I did my research and read plenty of reviews before getting this phone and I saw or read nothing about this. How? Googling this problem shows nothing...I can't be the only one bothered by it!

Any yes, I AM using the recent to toggle between apps and if anything I think getting to the apps that way makes it worst because if i keep hitting back to get to the app I was at, I get a better chance of finding it the way I left it. Through recent it's guaranteed to reload from scratch.

Eould removing the bloatware through root make a difference?
You don't necessarily have to root or remove bloatware. You can go to system settings>applications and then uninstall or disable any apps on the list that you aren't using.

Some system apps are very important and can't be disabled, do your research about the apps on your device to find out exactly which apps can be safely disabled without causing issues.

You said you went through dev settings, are you sure that you didn't enable some settings that might be causing this? If you enabled the "don't keep activities" or messed with the option for how many activities to keep, that might be part of the problem.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Make sure it's not the apps before doing anything else. I had one bank app that I would bring up in split mode with my password app, go to the password app to copy the login, paste it into the bank app, go back to the password app and copy the password, go back to the bank app to paste it in - and the login was blank.

I talked to the people who wrote the bank app (after developing software for over 40 years, you can convince people that you kind of know something about the process). They had never heard of anyone using a password app! Why would anyone have to? Don't I use the same password for everything?

When I got to their department head, he nearly had a heart attack. (I got a copy of the rewritten app in a couple of days.)

But some apps are written like that. "Oh, I'm not the foreground app any more? Clear everything."| It's called the "everyone thinks he's a developer" syndrome, and too many people have it. Developing software is 99% thinking and 1% coding. They forgot about the 99% (or never learned it). My "instruction manuals" used to be "Use it and see if you have any questions". Over the course of more than 40 years, I've had about 3 questions. Small ones. Develop it the way the user is going to use it, people. Please.

Evidently the Uber app isn't keeping its state when it gets killed. (I don't care how aggressive a phone is in killing apps - a killed app should come back exactly the way you left it.) Since you drive for them, talk to someone and see if you can get to their software people and teach them how to develop apps. Unless you hit the Back button, the app should never change state unless an event makes it change (your finger, a location change, a time tick, something external to the app). They're called event-driven programs. Let's not confuse "event" with Android killing an app - which it's designed to do, and which all Android apps are supposed to be able to handle elegantly.

Rom-er

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
But that isn't a removal. A disabling, yes. But the app is still there.
Its presence or not wasn't the point, the point was the fact that when disabled, an app uses no resources, requiring nothing to be kept in RAM, making the RAM that it would have occupied, available for other usage. Meaning, less demand on the device and more capability of doing other things. Also, I said "removal isn't necessary", hence, disabling instead.

Side note:

Some devices have system apps that can natively be uninstalled(not just disabled) by the OS, they are completely system apps, as they are reinstalled during a factory reset and can be uninstalled again, rinse and repeat.

The point was, root and removing bloatware isn't absolutely necessary, better, but not necessary.

I said you don't necessarily have to root OR remove bloatware.

I did not say you don't necessarily have to root TO remove bloatware.

See the difference?

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I think pretty much all Huawei phones act like this (which is why, as mentioned above, VideoLAN no longer allows VLC to be installed to Huawei devices). Huawei does this in order to maximize battery life (at the expense of performance), since it's one of the strongest selling points of a phone. The average user (and even more savvy users) won't necessarily understand (or care) about this aggressive RAM management, unfortunately.

Fr8x

Aug 18, 2018
Visit site
You don't necessarily have to root or remove bloatware. You can go to system settings>applications and then uninstall or disable any apps on the list that you aren't using.

Some system apps are very important and can't be disabled, do your research about the apps on your device to find out exactly which apps can be safely disabled without causing issues.

You said you went through dev settings, are you sure that you didn't enable some settings that might be causing this? If you enabled the "don't keep activities" or messed with the option for how many activities to keep, that might be part of the problem.

Yeah. Lots of bloatware can only be disabled and not removed from setting. Such as Facebook. And if I didn't them, 2 days later, theyre somehow reenabled automatically.
Also, even if successfully permanently disabled, aren't they contributing to the slowness of the device by taking up storage memory, if not ram memory?

Rom-er

Jan 31, 2014
Visit site
Yeah. Lots of bloatware can only be disabled and not removed from setting. Such as Facebook. And if I didn't them, 2 days later, theyre somehow reenabled automatically.
Also, even if successfully permanently disabled, aren't they contributing to the slowness of the device by taking up storage memory, if not ram memory?
They are still taking storage space in system, but the space they occupy isn't space that you as a user can use, even if it were to be removed and it isn't space that the device needs to use while running. From the devices perspective, performance-wise, there is little difference(but still some difference) between a removed system app and a disabled system app.

As for them reinstalling, that might be the Playstore auto updating them and re-enabling them. Updating or installing a different version over a disabled app, re-enables the app, the disabled state does not persist after the update/installation.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfrostpierce