How can I switch to Sprint from Verizon with this half price deal?

CA Minister

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
switch to sprint from Verizon with this half price deal?

I am grandfathered into Verizon's unlimited data and love it. I do only get 450 minutes and 1k texts. I pay 87.28 each month.

I live in Minneapolis and get 15-35 most usually about 24 (speed test. Net)
I use a lot of data, streaming Video and always popping a Hotspot through foxfi.
I no longer have insurance on my HTC one m7, it lags a lot even after factory reset and the camera sucks unless in macro mode, everything is always blurry.

I am tempted to switch to sprint, did everything at the Sprint store then declined once they said I had to lease or finance and couldn't buy the phone outright.

My bill would still be below $70 (and I would get unlimited everything) but not sure speed and network are worth the lower price. I would get the galaxy s5 so that I could root and pop a wifi Hotspot. (must have and the sole reason I didn't go with Republic wireless and you are capped at 5g)
My friend on sprint that works where I do gets a constant 13mbs on her sprint.

Should I switch? Worth saving, just buy a new phone for Verizon? I would have to buy one outright or on Craigslist as buying one through Verizon as an upgrade would make me renew my contact and lose unlimited data.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments?

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Re: switch to sprint from Verizon with this half price deal?

Keep in mind that Sprint half your bill plan is throttled, other plans will have priority. Also Sprint doesn't offer unlimited unthrottled (or even throttled) hotspot. They can find out that you are using hotspot. Even if they don't, I have heard of Sprint cancelling for excessive usage.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4

kg4icg

Jan 19, 2011
Visit site

Keep in mind that Sprint half your bill plan is throttled, other plans will have priority. Also Sprint doesn't offer unlimited unthrottled (or even throttled) hotspot. They can find out that you are using hotspot. Even if they don't, I have heard of Sprint cancelling for excessive usage.

You are confused, no you are not throttled, unless you are thinking of TMobile, and as for me Hotspot and tethering is included in my 20gb share plan. You can find out directly from Sprint about hotspot, oh and there is no limit on me on how much I can tether right up to the 20gb mark, in which I go over then charge me cents per Mb instead of $15 per GB.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

You are confused, no you are not throttled, unless you are thinking of TMobile, and as for me Hotspot and tethering is included in my 20gb share plan. You can find out directly from Sprint about hotspot, oh and there is no limit on me on how much I can tether right up to the 20gb mark, in which I go over then charge me cents per Mb instead of $15 per GB.

I was referring to the cut bill in half plan:

' Usage Limitations: Other plans may receive prioritized bandwidth availability. To improve data experience for the majority of users, throughput may be limited, varied or reduced on the network. Sprint may terminate service if off-network roaming usage in a month exceeds: (1) 800 min. or a majority of min.; or (2) 100MB or a majority of KB. Prohibited network use rules apply—see sprint.com/termsandconditions. '

https://halfprice.sprint.com/?ECID=vanity:halfprice

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

Also read the fine print in Sprint's regular ads. (I have a 55" screen and can barely see it, that's how fine the print is.) I forget the amount, but there's a line in there that says X GB at full speed. The other term used to describe that is "throttling".

BTW, DO NOT buy a phone, any phone, from Craig's List unless the exchange takes place at a carrier corporate store, and they register the change of ownership of the IMEI at the time you pay the seller. There's what I refer to as the Craig's List Scam - the seller sells you a phone with a clean IMEI and ESN for a really decent price (lower than you'd expect, but not low enough to be suspicious). He waits a week, then reports the phone lost and claims the insurance and, of course, the phone gets blacklisted. So he has your money, some of which he uses as the copay, gets a new phone, and you're left with no money and an unusable phone. Look on Swappa if you want a used phone - they have a good reputation for checking out their sellers. (It's run by people like those who run this forum - people interested in cellphones, not people interested in making money no matter what it takes.)

Oh, and make sure, if you go over to Sprint, that you get it in the contract that you can cancel without penalty in at least a week (if not two). Sprint may have a great signal in your office but a terrible one in your house. Sprint has close to the best coverage where I live - they blanket the city. Except for one small space that just happens to be the entire interior of my daughter's house. She lives under a knife-edge shadow from their tower. Decent signal on her front steps, good coverage in the front, back and side yards, but step into the doorway and there's no signal. And it's not the house - I can't find a spot where either a Verizon or an AT&T signal even varies - they're both solid from the street to the basement to the attic. So I moved here with Sprint and had to go over to AT&T to be able to use a phone in her house. Anywhere else, even places AT&T has no usable signal, Sprint is solid. So make sure it works everywhere you're likely to need a cellphone. Drive all over for a few days, go into the mall, friends' houses, etc. You know where Verizon doesn't work (if there are any spots), find out where Sprint doesn't before you can't go back and you're stuck for 2 years. (Ask if they can wait to port your number until you've given their signal a "test drive" for a few days.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillyC