How do I fix the keyboard on the password screen?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

On my Samsung tablet, the keyboard has stopped appearing when I want to write something. It was fine, until I turned off the tablet, turned it on again, then was locked out, because i cannot write in the password. I have tried restarting, and turning off and turning back on again. My tablet does not have a USB port, so I cannot attach a physical keyboard. Nor can I use a Bluetooth keyboard.
I think the cause of this is the keyboard app crashing, and since I am locked out I cannot update it.
Does anyone know how I can fix this, without resetting all the data on my Tablet?

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Plug a keyboard in and enter the password, then troubleshoot why the keyboard isn't working. Simply clearing the cache on the app will probably fix it.

Micro usb(the charging port) is a USB port and Android has full keyboard/mouse support. Personally I have half a dozen micro USB to usb adapters because they've come free with numerous phones/tablets I bought. If you don't own one can probably get one off Amazon for $5.

There should be absolutely no reason to factory reset and especially no reason to reflash the OS as others suggested.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
That would work from lock screen ? You don't need to be in the tablet already to enable it ?

Android has native support for USB keyboards/mice, plug them in and they just work, including on the lock screen.

It's just an input method, won't make the device any less secure. When I worked for Verizon I did it on a regular basis to get into phones with damaged screens when the display would show an image but fail to respond to touch. You can click and drag on a mouse for pattern unlock, click the numbers for pin unlock, or type in the pin/password with a keyboard.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Android has native support for USB keyboards/mice, plug them in and they just work, including on the lock screen.

It's just an input method, won't make the device any less secure. When I worked for Verizon I did it on a regular basis to get into phones with damaged screens when the display would show an image but fail to respond to touch. You can click and drag on a mouse for pattern unlock, click the numbers for pin unlock, or type in the pin/password with a keyboard.
Good to know , I know people done that while phone was open , didn't know it could be done while locked .