How do I get Hangouts do default to Google?

copasetic

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
Hungup on Hangouts

In an effort to try to go as "off the (carrier) grid" as much as possible, I was excited when Google Voice (and later Hangouts) finally offered us the chance to make calls and SMS (and now MMS) using our Google Numbers. I dropped my carrier's SMS plan, and even without MMS, it was a worthwhile savings. But I have had a constant struggle trying to get the new Hangouts to DEFAULT to Google instead of my carrier's number when making MMS/SMS. I disabled the built in messaging on the GS5, selected Hangouts as the preferred messaging plan, and it STILL says "sent from your carrier." Augh! I read and read, and of course, every time Google releases an update, the menus change and so guides and directions become out of date. Help please :)

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
Re: Hungup on Hangouts

In Hangouts, go to Settings (tap the hamburger menu in the top left corner). Tap SMS on that screen, then tap "Send SMS from" and select the number to send from. This requires that you've set Hangouts as your SMS app and have completed the GV integration to Hangouts.

copasetic

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

Because, at least for now, I am on an older plan that has unlimited data but charges has limited out of network voice minutes, and charges me for messages. I realize it's not cutting the cord completely, but it's saving me a lot of money versus a comparable (current) plan offering. I guess the almighty dollar (or lack thereof) is the main reason *shrug*.

Last edited:

copasetic

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

Ahh that's part of the problem. After updating Hangouts from Google Play yesterday, I NO LONGER see the option for "Send SMS from." I do remember that previously, and also remember the previous update asking me (again) if I wanted to merge everything into Google Hangouts, but it did not this time. I changed nothing else. I decided to remove this latest update, but it didn't sort it out.
That is progress, as it answers my question, but doesn't give me a solution, so we are at least on the way :)

Last edited:

copasetic

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site

That's awesome, I wish I had the same luck. I have asked them each year to rerate our usage and see if there is a better plan. Each time, the representatives tell me to stay put. At last check, it would raise our montly bill (5 phones) another $106, for the same service (OK we'd get unlimited SMS, but only 2 in our family use that anyway). Yikes! It also doesn't help this hangouts issue, unfortunately.

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site

I'm fully up to date and have that option. Check your default SMS app and GV and make sure you're using Hangouts for both.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anzarkv