How do I get my S3 off of the boot logo?

Dil Singh

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
S3 stuck on Samsung boot logo. failed to mount /cache /data /system

What happened?: My Galaxy S3 had been restarting randomly a few times a day over the past week. It seems like every time it did, it would delete some apps/data with it.

I only noticed this when I found my Skype wasn't installed any more then I found loads of other apps had "disappeared". I could see these apps in the application manager; greyed out with an icon of a SD card. After each subsequent automatic restart, I would lose more apps and app data until all the data for all my apps had been wiped.

Luckily, my SD card was intact. My photos and other data (docs, whatsapp database) on my phone memory was also intact.

I tried wiping the cache partition, which lead the phone going into an endless restart loop. Took the phone to the homescreen before restarting. So I then tried a factory reset. This seemed to work for half a day then the phone auto restarted again so I then tried to install an Antivirus app. This caused the phone to restart one more time, after which it never recover past the Samsung logo.

Wiping the cache partition and factory resetting the phone doesn't work any more. Once I enter recovery mode, I get the following errors:

E: failed to mount /efs (No such file or directory)
E: failed to mount /system (No such file or directory)
# MANUAL MODE #
-- Appling Multi-CSC...
can't mount '/system' (No such file or directory)
E: failed to mount /cache (No such file or directory)
can't mount '/cache' (No such file or directory)
E: can't mount /cache/recovery/last_recovery
E: failed to mount /data (No such file or directory)
E: Can't mount /data/log/recovery_log.txt
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open mount /cache/recovery/log
(These errors then repeat in various order)

I have never rooted my phone, never installed any third party apps, and it had the stock ROM. I hadn't even factory reset the phone in the 2 years I had it, before this.

Any help would greatly be appreciated

Last edited:

Laine Kwok

Dec 3, 2014
Visit site
Re: S3 stuck on Samsung boot logo. failed to mount /cache /data /system

I have having the same error like yours. My phone hanged while I am using Whatsapp and can't reboot it since then. It just got stucked at the Samsung Galaxy S3 logo screen and I can't wipe the cache partition too!
and all the E: failed error are same like yours.

Can anyone help us?
Is there a possibility for me to get back my contacts and whatsapp messages?
I tried using Kies3 but it can't solve the problem.

I haven't tried resetting it to factory default yet as I don't want to loose my data.

Please advise!
Thank you!

Dan Weiss

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
Same here. Kies just hangs. I can get to Download mode (Vol down/Home/Power) just fine. Cannot get onto Recovery (Vol up/home/power) - Logo appears then the raft of error messages happens. Tried Odin with the phone in Download mode and applying the factory image. It says it succeeds, but the phone acts exactly the same as before. Did it 3 times. Same result. Cannot do a factory reset because I cannot get into Recovery mode. Can ADB be used? Only problem there is that the device does not show up under Devices on the computer or with "adb devices". Driver problem maybe, but Odin can see it and Kies cannot. Stumped.

GSDer

Jan 30, 2011
Visit site

Unfortunately I'm not aware of a solution for the /efs partition issue, other than sending it to someone with JTAG services or back to Samsung. That partition is not included in any of the system images because it contains content unique to each phone.

You should be able to fix the /system and /cache partition errors by flashing the stock firmware using Odin (assuming that there isn't a hardware problem with the memory).

Dil Singh

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the replies guys. Here's what I've done so far.

I've tried flashing the phone using multiple versions of Odin and multiple versions of firmware. I always get the following error log:
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> KIES_HOME_I9300XXEMG4_I9300OXAEMG4_1314436_REV00_user_low_ship.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/006> Added!!
<ID:0/006> Odin v.3 engine (ID:6)..
<ID:0/006> File analysis..
<ID:0/006> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/006> Initialzation..
<ID:0/006> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/006> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/006> SingleDownload.
<ID:0/006> boot.img
<ID:0/006> NAND Write Start!!
<ID:0/006> FAIL!
<ID:0/006>
<ID:0/006> Complete(Write) operation failed.
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)

I've also tried flashing the bootloader/modem/CSC/ with the firmware. (Didnt work)

I tried to re-partition using a PIT file. This also failed.

I will have to learn about ADB. However, my concern is how this could have happened in the first place? Do Nand chips fail like that? And for no noticeable reason? The phone is out of warranty now so I don't know how much Samsung would charge.

Arif T Hussain

Jan 1, 2015
Visit site

Unbelievable! I am in the exact same situation. The phone (Galaxy S3) just hung up on me when I was on a call, and after rebooting (by removing the battery), I am stuck at the logo.

I tried the same things that are listed here by Dil Singh and I got the same results. :-\
I finally took it to a service center yesterday where the guy tells me that my eMMc card is fried. Have to get that replaced if I want to use the phone again, and it costs a good amount. I decided against doing that, and I am still on the prowl to get this thing fixed somehow. But whatever I do wherever, the result is the same. :(

Will keep watching this space if something turns up. :-X

Harun Asghar

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
I have the same problem ..
I changed the eMMC of my cellphone , but still its not fixed...
I have tried all the possible procedures , tried to update it or downgrade it ....
But this problem is still there ...

Please help !

Harun Asghar

Jan 5, 2015
Visit site
all ...

A Strange thing happened today .... I took the Battery out from my cellphone for around 4 hrs ....but when i plunged it in my cellphone , my cellphone started working...
But after some time same **** happened and its stuck again...~

I guess we all are facing same problem is mainly because of a software problem rather than a hardware ....

Every1 should try this!!

Dil Singh

Dec 2, 2014
Visit site
So I gave up trying to fix it myself and gave it in to about 5-6 different phone shops for repair. Each tried and failed to fix it. So I ended up buying a second hand one.

The cheapest and most sure way to fix it it, is to replace the motherboard. Make sure to transfer the IMEI sticker as well. I I didn't have time to complete this but may in March after my holiday.

Just look for S3 phones with broken screens but working. Then change over the entire motherboard.

Coops woop

Sep 9, 2015
Visit site

What happened?: My Galaxy S3 had been restarting randomly a few times a day over the past week. It seems like every time it did, it would delete some apps/data with it.

I only noticed this when I found my Skype wasn't installed any more then I found loads of other apps had "disappeared". I could see these apps in the application manager; greyed out with an icon of a SD card. After each subsequent automatic restart, I would lose more apps and app data until all the data for all my apps had been wiped.

Luckily, my SD card was intact. My photos and other data (docs, whatsapp database) on my phone memory was also intact.

I tried wiping the cache partition, which lead the phone going into an endless restart loop. Took the phone to the homescreen before restarting. So I then tried a factory reset. This seemed to work for half a day then the phone auto restarted again so I then tried to install an Antivirus app. This caused the phone to restart one more time, after which it never recover past the Samsung logo.

Wiping the cache partition and factory resetting the phone doesn't work any more. Once I enter recovery mode, I get the following errors:

E: failed to mount /efs (No such file or directory)
# MANUAL MODE #
-- Appling Multi-CSC...
can't mount '/system' (No such file or directory)
can't mount '/cache' (No such file or directory)
E: can't mount /cache/recovery/last_recovery
E: failed to mount /data (No such file or directory)
E: Can't mount /data/log/recovery_log.txt
E: Can't mount /cache/recovery/log
E: Can't open mount /cache/recovery/log
(These errors then repeat in various order)

I have never rooted my phone, never installed any third party apps, and it had the stock ROM. I hadn't even factory reset the phone in the 2 years I had it, before this.

Any help would greatly be appreciated

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberprettyfashiongirl95