How do i go about rooting my Evo?

ilhan80

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
I Checked out alot of the threads, but all the info seems to be all over the place from all the different ways to root the phone...

Whats the best and easiest way to root? This is all kinda new to me, although i had my pre rooted before

Thank you in advance

CoryBantic

Jun 7, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I just rooted mine using Unrevoked, and I've had no problems. I was even able to unroot it as well. If you're a bit iffy or want to see how it's done, go to Youtube and search "Unrevoked Evo" and you should get some good hits.

M1Combat

Mar 9, 2011
Visit site
I just did mine last night and used this...

http://forum.androidcentral.com/htc...3-7-hboot2-02-w-screen-shots-1-27-2011-a.html

Worked a charm.

Two things...

While messing with the UnrEVOked3 method from unrevoked I had HTC's Sync software installed already and Win7 insisted on using a Windows Update supplied driver with the device. I had to manually remove it from device mangler and check the "remove device driver software". Then it let me manually install the driver that UnrEVOked likes.

I seem to remember you need to reboot after installing Z4, then temp root. If you just install and temp root it doesn't seem to "take". This "may" have been caused by my earlier messing around with UnrEVOked. Essentially I think I rooted, then followed the long root procedure which mostly just gave me a new recovery image and new ROM image. Either way it all seems to have worked.

For the record I used an SMS, Call history and APN backup software by "Ritesh Sahu" to backup those before I reset the phone. I lost my application data (not the apps as I signed up with App Brain first) but the data from the apps was gone of course. No big deal for the most part but it could cause a problem if it surprises you for sure. I'm sure there's a way to backup app data too, but I didn't look for it.

It was after this set of commands -

adb -d install -r root/z4root.apk
adb shell am start -a android.intent.action.MAIN -n com.z4mod.z4root/com.z4mod.z4root.z4root

that I had to reboot for the Z4Root to actually work. It didn't seem to affect anything else.

charlie.millea

Mar 10, 2011
Visit site
im interested in changing the themes and look of my evo and the wifi tethering, i used unrevoked and it was simple and worked with the wifi, but i couldnt find a way to change my theme, ive read that miui and cyanagenmod are pretty good but i cant find a root dumb enough for me to understand and use first, any simple and easy roots to use?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgie