• Welcome to the all-new Android Central Forums! - We're still moving some things around, so you may see a few quirks here and there, but we're working on getting things fully completed as soon as possible. For now, take a look around, and if you run into any major issues please let us know in this thread!

How do i play 720p .mkv files well?

necroscopev

Jan 18, 2011
So i just rooted and have 2.1 running on my awesome NC now and am loving so far, well not the sound issue that is going around, but still. Well i have a few different video file players so far, but mainly have been using RockPlayer, but i can't get it to play a 720p MKV file well at all, it stutters and pauses a lot and is completely watchable. Is there a way to fix this? Currently i have the file saved on the SD card since i can not find a place to store it on the NC memory itself, if i try in the /media/My Files it says there is not enough room (when i know there is tons). Also i can't find a media player that lets me access the NC file structure, they all go to right to the SD card.

Currently i am choosing Software Decoding mode when i open the file since Hardware Mode gives an error.

Is there a conversion i should be doing maybe?

Any ideas are much appreciated!!

Bla1ze

Community Manager
Staff member
Oct 30, 2010
You'll likely not get any 720p .mkv's to play very nicely at all. The only thing that comes close to being able to play them is RockPlayer. Maybe when VLC launches they can get it right but I dunno.

chaloney

Nov 10, 2010
With a screen resolution of 1024x600, how would a 720p bid play anyway? I'm far from an expert but doesn't the number refer to the number of horizontal lines os pixels (the smaller number).

2palmuser

Jan 12, 2011
It's a resolution problem. If the video resolution is higher than the device's then the video is probably going to have problems playing the file. So a solution would be to resize the video's res. I don't know how to resize an mkv. So what I have done on for my Evo, is to take an mkv, resize it and change it to avi, using vdub.

mavrrick

Jan 11, 2011
A Nice tool for video transcodeing and coverting is Cyberlink Media Show Expresso. set it for MP4 with H.264 codec at 720x480 with 44.1khz audio at 128 bit. and it will work fine. i would also suggest a 1.5 or so bit rate for the video setting..

The nice thing about cyberlink Media Show Expresso is that it can queue up many videos at once and it is GPU accelerated for both AMD and Nvidia video cards..

necroscopev

Jan 18, 2011
Thanks for the replies guys! I will try mediashow expresso now and see how it works, i will let you know. As far as the overclocked kernel i was reading the forums about it yesterday and it seemed that it actually slowed the NC down more and got lower quadrant scores. I will wait until there is a froyo rom and maybe then play with the new kernel.

chaloney

Nov 10, 2010
Freemake works great! thanks for the recommendation. able to resize a video (mp4) that wouldnt play on my nook and now have 3 movies from dvd's i own that i can copy onto my nook. each 2 hour movie only took about 45 minutes to rip

i just used the standard settings for converting "to android" gives up up to 1024x600 resolution video, aac audio, .mp4 file. just make sure that you have the right language track--one of my dvd's has them labeled wrong. first converted it with what was supposed to be english, turned out it was french. redid it the other way (with the "french" audio) and its now in english. there is a way to edit the video before converting. i used this to check the audio track. the best part--instead of $35-40, it was the best price--Free!!

Brucewl

Banned
Mar 10, 2011
Try to use a Video Converter to convert your video to MP4 video format. As I know it support MP4 video with the hardware.

koopakid08

Mar 19, 2011
Try to use a Video Converter to convert your video to MP4 video format. As I know it support MP4 video with the hardware.

Dude..... Don't go answering threads from January. It's dead.

---------------------------------
Sent from my LG Optimus V using Tapatalk