How do i recover the folders and files of my gallery, my sd card more than anything

Mafag

Nov 19, 2020
Visit site
Hello everyone. This request is for a real expert in android or windows os. Some of my gallery folders just disappeared. I cant see some albums, docs and images, they disappeared from the sd card and also maybe some from the internal storage. A clue: I think (but I am not completely sure because I dont remember very well, I dont know) that this is happening because I deleted by mistake a file called .nomedia after connecting my phone to my notebook thinking that file was strange. Please, please, please, I really need my folders again, my gallery complete. If a nice soul could help me I would appreciate it the rest of my life. This is really important.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The .nomedia file simply instructs the system to ignore that directory when scanning for images to add to the gallery database. Deleting that file wouldn't have affected your folders.

Which phone do you have, and how did you create these gallery folders? Were they created using a gallery app, or did you create them using a file manager app?

Have you already tried unmounting the card (in Settings>Storage), removing the card, then inserting it into a PC's card reader and exploring the card using Windows File Explorer?

Mafag

Nov 19, 2020
Visit site
Mr B Diddy, mu respects and thank you very much for your fast reply. I have a Samsung A10. I had created the folders by the normal ways: in the gallery of the phone (where all the images / albums are viewed) and also sometimes inside the app called my files, which is a samsung app. So, the folders /albums were just to order the photos in the gallery. I already tried removing the card and inserting it into my pc and I cant ser the folders or albums (even with the hidden folder/files option desactivated in windows control panel) that cant see also in the phone. It is like they disappeared, a very strange thing, I thought it was caused because I deleted by mistake that .nomedia file days ago.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Maybe @mustang7757 can weigh in, since I don't have direct experience with Samsung devices. Some gallery apps allow creation of virtual albums that are only recognized by the gallery app itself, rather than creating a separate directory on the phone's directory structure -- so if you were looking for one of those albums as a separate directory, it might not show up that way.

Just to be sure -- you've looked in the /DCIM/Camera directory for any of the photos in question? Make sure you look in that directory on the SD card, as well as the one on Internal Storage.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Did you have Samsung back up or Google back on? You can check My Files app folder DCIM like b.diddy mentioned .

Mafag

Nov 19, 2020
Visit site
@b.diddy @mustang7757 Thank you for your answers. I already checked the DCIM folder on the SD card and internal storage and there are not all the photos, just some photos. To give you an idea, a few days ago both the sd card and the internal storage were 50-60% occupied, now it only appears 10 or 15% occupied, this is crazy, it does not make sense, something happened to my photos and also to my documents. I had a folder on the sd with some documents and it is not there either, it disappeared just like the photos. AñI dont have backup. Only I have access to my phone, this is very strange. Not everything disappeared, but almost everything. How can you help me? is it possible to recover everything that suddenly disappeared?

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
@b.diddy @mustang7757 Thank you for your answers. I already checked the DCIM folder on the SD card and internal storage and there are not all the photos, just some photos. To give you an idea, a few days ago both the sd card and the internal storage were 50-60% occupied, now it only appears 10 or 15% occupied, this is crazy, it does not make sense, something happened to my photos and also to my documents. I had a folder on the sd with some documents and it is not there either, it disappeared just like the photos. AñI dont have backup. Only I have access to my phone, this is very strange. Not everything disappeared, but almost everything. How can you help me? is it possible to recover everything that suddenly disappeared?
This is going be hard to get them back without having a back up. You check the trash in gallery app and My files ?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Where did you get your SD card from? Counterfeit SD cards are pretty common, and can lead to data loss. Basically, they're much smaller cards than they claim to be, and once you try to save more data than the actual card can hold, data can become corrupt or lost.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Sorry -- this is one of the best reasons to automatically sync your photos to the cloud (using something like Google Photos or Amazon Photos), or otherwise do a manual backup of the photos yourself on a regular basis to your computer's hard drive. Never rely on an SD card as the sole storage location for important data, because SD cards are just not very reliable.

Mafag

Nov 19, 2020
Visit site
Mr B Diddy thank you very much for your help, I am going to take your advice about the sd card and the clouds. Sadly we cant rely 100% on a sd card. Thanks @mustang7757 too. Very kind help from both of you. Goodnight.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Mr B Diddy thank you very much for your help, I am going to take your advice about the sd card and the clouds. Sadly we cant rely 100% on a sd card. Thanks @mustang7757 too. Very kind help from both of you. Goodnight.
Sorry didn't have better outcome but future wise you'll be set from what we explained here, your welcome! Gnite

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eninentola