Question How do I remove all traces of an app after I uninstall it?

gf1701

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I recently upgraded to a Samsung S23+ phone and tried migrating my apps over. Most were successful, but my e-mail app, Bluemail, was not. After reinstalling several times, I got everything set up correctly, but it will not send notifications. (Don’t even try to tackle that one for me: I’ve tried every suggestion that is to be found on the Web, and none of them helped. And Bluemail support hasn’t replied.) So I tried uninstalling the app, figuring I’d set it up from scratch. However, when I open the app after installing, all my e-mail accounts are already set up. So I figure that, somewhere, data related to the app remains on the phone after the app is uninstalled, and is detected when I reinstall. And if that’s the case, I’m not really starting afresh, and perhaps that’s why notifications still don’t work. Is my assessment correct, and if it is, how do I get rid of what’s left behind after the uninstall?

gf

P.S. My work-around was to add my e-mail accounts to the Gmail app, and get notifications from Gmail. But Bluemail is a lot easier to maneuver in when dealing with multiple e-mail accounts.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Before you uninstall the app, go to Settings>Apps, select the app, then clear the app cache/data and then force stop it. Then uninstall it. Now see if the accounts still come back when you reinstall it.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

gf1701

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Before you uninstall the app, go to Settings>Apps, select the app, then clear the app cache/data and then force stop it. Then uninstall it. Now see if the accounts still come back when you reinstall it.
Someone else suggested clearing cache and data, so I tried that. The difference is that I force stopped the app before I did that, figuring that if it was running in the background after I cleared all data, new data might be added. So I don't know if the sequence of forcing makes a difference, but when I reinstalled, all my accounts were there. Some could not connect to the server, and I had to remove and add them back, but the old settings seemed to be there (and I can't figure out how that happens). So not surprisingly, notifications still don't work. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
So just to clarify, you tried the sequence of clearing the app data and then force stopping, then uninstalling/reinstalling, and it still happened?

Go to your Google account dashboard at myaccount.google.com, go to Data & Privacy, and look under Third Party Apps & Services. If you see Bluemail there, try deleting all connections, and then see if the accounts come back.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I just had to re-setup my Outlook email & the only thing I did different was reboot my device before reinstalling.

Force Stopped App
Cleared Cache
Cleared Data
Rebooted Device

I then re-setup my email. No previous info showed up when I opened the app. Bluemail is showing some odd behavior. 🤔

gf1701

May 8, 2015
Visit site
So just to clarify, you tried the sequence of clearing the app data and then force stopping, then uninstalling/reinstalling, and it still happened?

Go to your Google account dashboard at myaccount.google.com, go to Data & Privacy, and look under Third Party Apps & Services. If you see Bluemail there, try deleting all connections, and then see if the accounts come back.
That's what I thought, because I sent a couple of test e-mails after doing that and did not receive any notifications. But I was wrong, at least partially. Since those failed tests I've received Bluemail notifications for two of my e-mail accounts, one a Hotmail, the other a Gmail (oddly, they're not being recorded in my Notification History). E-mails sent to two other accounts (a Yahoo and a Gmail) did not result in notifications. I checked the notification settings and they're the same for all accounts. Maybe they'll start showing up. At least following your steps brought progress. Thanks again.

gf1701

May 8, 2015
Visit site
I just had to re-setup my Outlook email & the only thing I did different was reboot my device before reinstalling.

Force Stopped App
Cleared Cache
Cleared Data
Rebooted Device

I then re-setup my email. No previous info showed up when I opened the app. Bluemail is showing some odd behavior. 🤔
Rebooting before resinstalling was a smart extra measure. It didn't occur to me. But since I'm seeing some progress (as well as continued odd Bluemail behavior), I'm done with reinstalls of that app. I lost count of how many times I've reinstalled, then deleted accounts, added them back, ended up with duplicates, deleted a duplicate account only to find that other accounts were deleted as well . . . On all my old devices, Bluemail was a very stable app. Now, although it's the best-designed e-mail app I've seen, I'd be afraid to recommend it to anyone.

BerryBubbles

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Rebooting before resinstalling was a smart extra measure. It didn't occur to me. But since I'm seeing some progress (as well as continued odd Bluemail behavior), I'm done with reinstalls of that app. I lost count of how many times I've reinstalled, then deleted accounts, added them back, ended up with duplicates, deleted a duplicate account only to find that other accounts were deleted as well . . . On all my old devices, Bluemail was a very stable app. Now, although it's the best-designed e-mail app I've seen, I'd be afraid to recommend it to anyone.
Well you've certainly put a lot into it. Hopefully, your notifications will kick back in.
🤞

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That's what I thought, because I sent a couple of test e-mails after doing that and did not receive any notifications. But I was wrong, at least partially. Since those failed tests I've received Bluemail notifications for two of my e-mail accounts, one a Hotmail, the other a Gmail (oddly, they're not being recorded in my Notification History). E-mails sent to two other accounts (a Yahoo and a Gmail) did not result in notifications. I checked the notification settings and they're the same for all accounts. Maybe they'll start showing up. At least following your steps brought progress. Thanks again.
What about my suggestion about looking in your Google account dashboard? I'm wondering if Bluemail connects with your Google account and saves some data about your other accounts there.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I recently upgraded to a Samsung S23+ phone and tried migrating my apps over. Most were successful, but my e-mail app, Bluemail, was not. After reinstalling several times, I got everything set up correctly, but it will not send notifications. (Don’t even try to tackle that one for me: I’ve tried every suggestion that is to be found on the Web, and none of them helped. And Bluemail support hasn’t replied.) So I tried uninstalling the app, figuring I’d set it up from scratch. However, when I open the app after installing, all my e-mail accounts are already set up. So I figure that, somewhere, data related to the app remains on the phone after the app is uninstalled, and is detected when I reinstall. And if that’s the case, I’m not really starting afresh, and perhaps that’s why notifications still don’t work. Is my assessment correct, and if it is, how do I get rid of what’s left behind after the uninstall?

gf

P.S. My work-around was to add my e-mail accounts to the Gmail app, and get notifications from Gmail. But Bluemail is a lot easier to maneuver in when dealing with multiple e-mail accounts.
Is this the app you're referring to? I didn't see anything under bluemail if so how do you have it set-up pop3/imap/active sync? Screenshot_20231207_010252_Google%20Play%20Store.jpg

gf1701

May 8, 2015
Visit site
What about my suggestion about looking in your Google account dashboard? I'm wondering if Bluemail connects with your Google account and saves some data about your other accounts there.
Bluemail is listed in my third-party apps and services. I don't know what information in there might be useful to me.

gf1701

May 8, 2015
Visit site
Is this the app you're referring to? I didn't see anything under bluemail if so how do you have it set-up pop3/imap/active sync? View attachment 358084
Yes, that is the app. You don't need to know anything but your e-mail address and password, and give Bluemail permission to figure out the rest. It's easy to set up--at least it used to be. Now, I cannot vouch for it.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
You also check in app notifications and the apps notifications menu?

App itself notification
Long press bluemail>tap info>tap notification> my red circle all 3 highlighted? Go to bottom notification categories tap then tap each sub menu there see if everything looks ok Screenshot_20231207_020047_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20231207_020143_Settings.jpg

Reactions: BerryBubbles

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Bluemail is listed in my third-party apps and services. I don't know what information in there might be useful to me.
I would try uninstalling Bluemail from your phone, then deleting all connections to Bluemail within your Google account dashboard, and then reinstalling Bluemail (to see if this truly lets you start from scratch).

gf1701

May 8, 2015
Visit site

P.S. Notifications stopped. I tapped on the last one I received, and instead of it taking me to the e-mail, it took me to a Compose (write a new mail) screen in Bluemail. So I have to assume that the latest version of the app is buggy, and there's nothing I can do about that. (Well, I do have older versions on my old phone and tablet and know how to extract the apk, so I could try installing one of them, but I've spent several hours on this app already and I'm just done with it.) So it's Gmail for me. Not as easy to use, but it works!

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
P.S. Notifications stopped. I tapped on the last one I received, and instead of it taking me to the e-mail, it took me to a Compose (write a new mail) screen in Bluemail. So I have to assume that the latest version of the app is buggy, and there's nothing I can do about that. (Well, I do have older versions on my old phone and tablet and know how to extract the apk, so I could try installing one of them, but I've spent several hours on this app already and I'm just done with it.) So it's Gmail for me. Not as easy to use, but it works!
Much better solution, awesome

Reactions: J Dubbs

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hackemail