How do I reset Fingerprint scanner and alternate password that have stopped working?

maregan

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
After I did the latest software update my phone does not recognize my finger prints and my alternate password doesn't work. My unlock screen password still works but no other password. How can I reset the alternate password and the finger print scans without doing a master reset which would delete all the apps on the device? Thanks for any help.

naira1

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Go to settings, then finger print scanner
Click the finger print manager

1aca627242bce7142f99fed6f1f3a165.jpg

You should see the registered finger scanned
8af07c6b01cfd269054b3aeb4de0dbe3.jpg

Now long press the registered finger

f1526423b9623e4015d0c122f1f90760.jpg

Delete top right corner.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

the-sandman

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Do you mean none of your fingerprints are recognised, and you've forgotten your backup password?

If thats the case you won't be able to access the fingerprint manager or change the backup password as you need to scan a fingerprint or input the backup password to get to those screens.

I believe the only way to reset them would be a master reset like you said…

maregan

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Sandman, that is what I feared. Now I will have to get a SIM and copy all apps, contacts, and photos to the SIM and then do a master reset. Crap!!!

Thanks for the help and confirmation.

Naira1, thanks but it is requesting either the fingerprint or password of which neither is working. Looks like i will have to do a master reset.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:

the-sandman

Dec 6, 2014
Visit site
Ah, that sucks :( You can do a backup either over the air with google or using your samsung account, or use the Kies software on a computer… though I don't know if that'd restore the fingerprints too.

Maybe give it a go anyway, that way you shouldn't loose any info or have to reset everything up again :)

KINGLIFER

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
Well there isn't fingerprint on mine just fingerprints and once I did what your said it still wont remove fingerprints.
I am not talking about the lockscreen... I mean to make a new fingerprint. The software just keeps asking for the old one and the password is corrupted.

I think this has to do with back up restores.
I guess I will wipe.

Des Norval

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
I tried the fingerprint scanner and eventually went to the alternative password.
Now that also seems not to be working or I keep entering the wrong password.
How can I go back to the fingerprint scanner?

ElizabethInDallas

Jun 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem (since this last update). I have gone as far as to remove the battery, and still the fingerprint scanner will not reset. The phone no longer even gives me the option to scan my fingerprint. Something is *completely* hosed.

Ekmeir

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
Going to applications is only possible when you opened your Phone with a password and such. I can't get in. I got a message from Samsung itself. Try on you Samsung account to unlock your device. I tried that but it says that my Phone is off. Which isn't because I keep getting messages which I'm unable to read because it's locked. Even tried it via my Google account. That does find my Phone, makes me change my password but my Phone does not accept the new password.
If that doesn't work you have to make a master reset. And all is lost. Thanks to Samsung.
Someone told me that the fingerprint recognize button on the screen is broken so try another screen and it should be possible.
Haven't tried that. nobody I know has a note 4. So I really have to reset my Phone
Anyway I still think it's a good phone. Somebody by Samsung made a wrong entry in the update. Hope he or she will fix it soon.

Have a nice day everybody

Ekmeir

Sep 27, 2015
Visit site
I can't get in at all. all I can do is call for the Police and get incoming phonecalls. I cannot get to the applications. I cannot download anything through Kies or other download apps. Because I have to unlock my Phone using the backup password. I've tried them all with no prevail. Got to go total reset. :(

icerafter

Oct 2, 2015
Visit site
Thanks bigslick202, this clue worked for me, on a Galaxy S6 where I still had access to the phone using a fingerprint, but had forgotten the backup password.

Short answer: Backup password is stored in Fingerprint app data cache. So just clear the Fingerprint app's data cache, and you'll be prompted for a new backup password.

Long answer, what I did was
  1. Go to the Application Manager\Fingerprint app
  2. 'Force Stop' and 'Clear Data'
  3. Reboot phone
  4. Unlock w/ fingerprint
  5. Go to 'Lock screen and security\Screen lock type' (which should be set to 'Fingerprints')
  6. Use fingerprint to get past the next screen, and
  7. Viola, the next sceeen prompts for a NEW backup password
  8. Now log that password down somewhere in your cloud storage!

rosethornne

Nov 25, 2015
Visit site
Thank you!! Neither Samsung nor Sprint gave this suggestion, but it worked right away.
I have a new G S6 and was happily using the fingerprint scanner, until I rebooted it the first time and suddenly it didn't like my fingers OR my password.
Samsung told me do a factory reset and Sprint told me it's an Android OS glitch and oh well just wait until there's a patch.

Thanks bigslick202, this clue worked for me, on a Galaxy S6 where I still had access to the phone using a fingerprint, but had forgotten the backup password.

Short answer: Backup password is stored in Fingerprint app data cache. So just clear the Fingerprint app's data cache, and you'll be prompted for a new backup password.

Long answer, what I did was
  1. Go to the Application Manager\Fingerprint app
  2. 'Force Stop' and 'Clear Data'
  3. Reboot phone
  4. Unlock w/ fingerprint
  5. Go to 'Lock screen and security\Screen lock type' (which should be set to 'Fingerprints')
  6. Use fingerprint to get past the next screen, and
  7. Viola, the next sceeen prompts for a NEW backup password
  8. Now log that password down somewhere in your cloud storage!

Last edited:

Byline

Nov 26, 2015
Visit site
Applications > Application Manager > Fingerprint > Clear data.

Turn your phone off, back on and..... voila!

Huge thank you. I've been trying to fix this for a couple of minths trying all sorts of things. This worked like a charm.