How do I uninstall the latest Samsung software update?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
The "substeps" are:

1 - download the firmware file.
2 - if it's a single file (it's going to be a zip, so you have to unzip it), load it into AP, otherwise load each of the 4 files into the slots with the same letters as the filenames.
3 - boot your phone to download mode.
4 - plug the phone into the PC.
5 - click the Start button.
6 - come back in about 15 minutes and your phone will be waiting for you to set it up, as if it had just come out of the box.

You're installing new firmware, you can't "remove an update", because the firmware it updated is no longer there. Google would have to provide a "downdate" file.

And if you can't follow the above steps, you don't know enough about computers to flash the firmware, and there's nothing I can do about that. It's like my asking a musician to "break down" how to play Mozart into simple steps - when I'm tone-deaf. Either learn enough to be able to follow the instructions (there are only really 4 of them, and they're all simple - I'm sure you've downloaded files before, and "doing something else for 15 minutes" doesn't have anything to do with computers, so it's steps 2-5, and Google will tell you how to do all of them - if you learn to use Google).

How simple do you want it? A link to 7Zip and instructions on how to click a mouse button? "doiwnload 7zip" in Google will give you the first one, and if you don't know how to use a mouse, you shouoldn't be using computers (and a smart phone is a computer). These aren't candlestick phones, that anyone can learn to "use" in 5 minutes - you have to put in some effort.

Bobals

Apr 1, 2018
Visit site
There's clearly a lot of frustration being vented in this thread, but everyone should understand the following:

1. There is no easy way to roll back a system update. Your best option is to use Odin to flash the previous firmware, but this is not for absolute beginners: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...w-flash-stock-rom-via-odin-new-interface.html

2. If there are no settings in the system or within the apps to change the appearance of an app (e.g., the background colors, text colors, fonts, etc.), then you could try changing the theme, or installing a 3rd party launcher like Nova Launcher.

3. For actual glitches in performance, try wiping the cache partition. The steps for most Galaxy phones are the same: https://support.t-mobile.com/docs/DOC-24999

4. Major system updates will almost always come with some sort of tweaks to the UI. This is unavoidable. It's partly from the addition of new features or modification of existing ones, but there's also the constant drive to "freshen up" the look, because human beings get bored very easily. It's why people get a new phone every couple of years, or a new car every 3-7 years, or why your favorite store rearranges its aisles every few months. If you don't like how something looks and you want the manufacturer to change it, the best thing we can suggest (besides the above) is to send them feedback (and, of course, remember that Android Central does not have any direct affiliation with Google or any phone manufacturer).

Thank you for keeping your comments and responses respectful.

Your "freshening up" the look is extremely unappreciated. You've gone along with the current marketing trend by making your product smaller and more difficult to see and read. Whoever sold you guys on this idea is a genius. Thy've got your number and have taken you for a ride.
I actually hate the new look, which is why I continually postponed the update in a futile attempt to avoid it. Your damn program updated itself automatically without my consent.
Previously I had been entertaining the idea of returning to a flip-phone; now it is getting closer to a reality.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Your "freshening up" the look is extremely unappreciated. You've gone along with the current marketing trend by making your product smaller and more difficult to see and read. Whoever sold you guys on this idea is a genius. Thy've got your number and have taken you for a ride.
I actually hate the new look, which is why I continually postponed the update in a futile attempt to avoid it. Your damn program updated itself automatically without my consent.
Previously I had been entertaining the idea of returning to a flip-phone; now it is getting closer to a reality.

You do realize that B. Diddy isn't the one who programmed this, right? ^_^ So he isn't taking anyone for a ride or anything. It sounds like you may need to direct that frustration at Samsung.

Cailie 65

Apr 7, 2018
Visit site
Guys please help me uninstall this new software update. It has taken over my phone storage. My device storage has nothing in it but software application but I'm already out of memory

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Welcome to Android Central! Please direct your comments and displeasure here instead. I'm actually a doctor, so it would've been a pretty neat trick for me to freshen up the look.:p

Natasha Laing

Jun 17, 2018
Visit site
Re: uninstall latest samsung software update

Is anyone else noticing that it is taking literally forever to get a full charge with this new update? It used to take less than maybe 3 hours to charge to full. Now if I have less than 30% and I plug it in when I go to sleep I may be lucky to have 75-80% when I wake up 6 hours or so later.

I'm trying to roll back my firmware but who knows if that will last. If Samsung thinks this will make me by a Galaxy 8 they are sadly mistaken.

Just got the newest update last night...
It took away all of my contacts txt msg customizations, the text layout is abysmal... this is just awful.
Anyone have an idea how to set up custom txt tones with this newest update? IE Have random txters notify with a whistle, and Billy Bob is raindrops, and Jane is a harp, sorta deal? Like before...?
UGH!

NanPalm

Sep 20, 2018
Visit site
I'm having the same power problem as Gerald Acker as well as continual fading to gray screens and back to normal. Not a great update, especially when it took 15 minutes to load.

Adam Emrich

Apr 11, 2019
Visit site
Re: uninstall latest samsung software update

Just got an android update to my Samsung Galaxy S8 plus (AT&T). All of a sudden the backdrop and text colors in messages and settings are so close to white, I can't read anything! I tried adjusting brightness, contrast, blue lighting effect, nothing worked! I finally bought a new theme, and now I can read everything. The thing that pissed me off is that I PAYED MONEY for the theme I had to change from because of incompatibility issues! Shouldn't that have been made a consideration instead of possibly causing panic to potentially thousands of users?! Was this not Field Tested for QC?! Seriously! A warning that an upgrade may cause issues to PAYED FOR APPS AND THEMES MIGHT be appreciated!

hallux

Q&A Team
Jul 7, 2013
Visit site
If the theme was developed by a 3rd-party, Samsung has NO obligation to be sure that theme works with the OS update. That obligation falls entirely on the theme developer.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mickmac