How do I uninstall the NFL ap?

circulating

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
There is no "uninstall" when I open this. If the only way is to "root" this, is there someone in the Chicago area I can hire? I am not adept at that type of thing and don't want to ruin a new phone that is already causing more problems than I had with the previous droid I own.

Thanks,

Circulating

FrankXS

Feb 27, 2011
Visit site
There is no "uninstall" when I open this. If the only way is to "root" this, is there someone in the Chicago area I can hire? I am not adept at that type of thing and don't want to ruin a new phone that is already causing more problems than I had with the previous droid I own.

Thanks,

Circulating
That guy from Chicago is in jail now. He got caught on the last job I hired him for.

Two ways...

1) Google Play > Menu > My Apps > Scroll to NFL Mobile > Select it > press Uninstall.

2) Menu > Settings > Applications > Manage Applications > All Apps > Scroll to NFL Mobile > Select NFL Mobile > press Uninstall.

-Frank

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Sounds like the app was pre-installed when you purchased the device. The only way to delete it is to root and manually enter the /system/app directory with a file explorer with root permissions to remove it.

What device do you have? There are many auto root scripts to help with the process. Check the root forum for the device.

circulating

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Frank and Srkmagnus. Hmm...the best I could do was uninstall the updates and then hide the icon. I have a Motorola Droid 4. As I said above, I'm not up to "rooting". I had no choice but to replace my old Droid, but the longer I have this one, the less I'm liking, let alone enjoying it.

MagiiKz

Apr 29, 2012
Visit site
Thank you Frank and Srkmagnus. Hmm...the best I could do was uninstall the updates and then hide the icon. I have a Motorola Droid 4. As I said above, I'm not up to "rooting". I had no choice but to replace my old Droid, but the longer I have this one, the less I'm liking, let alone enjoying it.

Since you can only uninstall updates, it is a pre-installed app. As said before, the only way to remove it is by rooting the device. It isn't as hard as you would think, PM me and I will help you if you decide to root your phone.

Michael Westermann

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
Frank, people like you make forums worthless. clearly your response indicating that he can simply uninstall will not work, that is if you took half a second to think about the question that was posted. simply uninstalling it is not possible, you have to root the phone. That said I don't know anyone in Chicago area that can do this.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The NFL mobile app is often preinstalled on Verizon phones. As people have mentioned here, you can't uninstall this kind of bloatware unless you root your phone. However, if your phone's Android system is 4.0 or above (i.e., Ice Cream Sandwich or Jellybean), you can Disable bloatware. Under Settings/Apps/All Apps, find NFL Mobile. Uninstall any updates first, then see if you get the option to Disable.

Again, this is for Android 4.0 and above. If you have Gingerbread or below, you can't Disable apps.

BKTraveling

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Michael and B. Diddy are correct. Verizon preinstalls this app. As soon as I got my new phone the app updated automatically and file size went from a couple of megs to 15+ mb. I removed the update manually and disabled it but a couple weeks later I checked the app and guess what, the app reloaded the 15mb update. Looks like I'll be rooting the phone.

BK
DNA by HTC

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
That's odd, BK. Was it re-enabled somehow? Mine stays disabled and not updating. You may want to make sure the auto updates are turned off in Play too.

kdever

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
B. Diddy, thanks for the info. I followed your instructions to get to the App, I uninstalled the updates a few times but it didn't give me the Disable button until I said yes to restore the default installation (or something like that). Doing that reduced the file size to about 1.3 Mgbs and then the Disable button appeared. I have disabled the app and hope it never shows up again.

Just wanted to let others know that you may have to do more than just uninstall the updates to get that Disable button to appear.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for that heads up. When you uninstall updates of a preinstalled piece of bloatware, the phone essentially has to reinstall the original version that came with the phone (the updates were downloaded and installed from Google Play). In my experience on my Razr Maxx, this reinstallation is automatic. The process might be different on different phones, and I also wonder if certain antivirus apps might also prompt you to accept the reinstallation.

And welcome to Android Central!

GuitarPilot

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
I just switched from an iPhone 4S to an LG G4 at Verizon yesterday.
As everyone knows, dragging the icon into the remove button doesn't remove it. This pisses me off :) so I called Verizon and asked how to get rid of it. Here is what I was told and did: Settings > Application manager > (Now here is the secret move!) By default it will be showing you "Downloaded" apps... Swipe that "Downloaded" text sideways past "on SD card", "Running" to "All" and then you will be able to find the NFL Mobile App there.

I did "Force Stop", cleared its data and cache and then disabled it. So now it shows up in the "Disabled" list along with DT Ignite which I disabled.

Janet Reed

Aug 20, 2015
Visit site
I have Android 5.0.2. When I attempt to "uninstall updates," it says "Do you want to replace this app with the factory version?" I have a choice of "Cancel" or "OK."

Which is no choice. How do I "root" this thing? Thanks......

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I have Android 5.0.2. When I attempt to "uninstall updates," it says "Do you want to replace this app with the factory version?" I have a choice of "Cancel" or "OK."

Which is no choice. How do I "root" this thing? Thanks......

Once you replace the app with the factory version, you'll be given the option to disable it.

Jerome_James

Dec 21, 2016
Visit site
Greetings:
Please note that I bought the HTC Desire 526 this summer. It did NOT have NFL live on it until I installed it. It does not appear in App manager. The outcome is likely the same but I still write to inquire if my options are different. Already went to google play... Guidance sought