How do I update the operating system on the LGL52VL?

A

AC Question

My phone will not automatically update. I also cannot find a place on the LGsecurity.LGE.com that allows me to click and download an update. I've emailed LG this morning, but don't know if/when they'll reply.

grcook951

May 11, 2017
Visit site
It gives two messages, one following the other
1. Checking server for updates
2. No updates available

Thought I'd mention: I've restored it to factory settings once already, but that had no effect, literally. Worked fine for a couple days, then ran out of space. I've deleted a few smaller programs I downloaded from Google Play deleted the cache and it still jams up.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Welcome as a new member. :)

So the problem is not related to updates - since your phone is running the latest software - but with storage? Did you factory reset to try to increase free storage? It would do that, though in a rather brutal way, but did you have 'Auto Restore of Apps' ticked or unticked? If the former, troublesome apps may still be on the phone.

I'm not sure of the specs of that phone, but if it has low storage to start with, that may be the problem. I know from personal experience how frustrating it can be to use a 4gb phone, for example.

Last edited:

grcook951

May 11, 2017
Visit site
Thank you for the welcome :) I added the point about the other manufacturers' software updates, is that I thought by taking the phone system back to factory settings the security system would update the system software.

The reason I don't believe the operating (and security) system is updating is that the security info has never changed. It still reads Android Security Patch Level 2015-12-01. Kernel Version 3.10.49, Build Number LMY47V and software version L52VL10a.

Let's leave the size of the internal storage out of the picture for just a moment, if we can. That is another issue I'd like to discuss, but not just this second. Thank you.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
Well, it may simply be that the device is running the latest software. When I get home, I'll take a look at what it says on my LG G3, which was upgraded to Lollipop long ago, and remained there. I suspect that the security patch date will be old like yours.
More later.

Edit: I have no date.

Last edited:

grcook951

May 11, 2017
Visit site
I received an email from LG, saying their tech support would contact me, but they haven't since that. I'll post back to this thread when they do. I just expect an update to tell me when it's been updated. Moreover, I'll ask them whether after the version is updated, if it is not updated further. Irrelevant in my case, as the version hasn't updated since I bought it either. Thanks.

grcook951

May 11, 2017
Visit site
This is the insufficient reply I received: I’m a staff of LG Product Security Response Team(LG PSRT)

First of all, I'm sorry for your inconvenience.
Unfortunately, your LGL52VL has no patch plan for updates because of the carrier request.
I'm very sorry for not being helpful.

Again, I'm sorry for your inconvenience.
Thanks.

Regards,
LG PSRT

I received an email from LG, saying their tech support would contact me, but they haven't since that. I'll post back to this thread when they do. I just expect an update to tell me when it's been updated. Moreover, I'll ask them whether after the version is updated, if it is not updated further. Irrelevant in my case, as the version hasn't updated since I bought it either. Thanks.

belodion

Co-Ambassador Team Lead
Jun 10, 2014
Visit site
It may sometimes be possible to get a software update by downloading the manufacturer's software tool on a PC and connecting the phone. However, I personally take the view that if LG does not send out such updates OTA, they must have their reasons and it's probably best left well alone.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci