How do you text with Voice?

pvcleave

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
My wife recently switched to a Galaxy S5 from an old Windows 7 phone. There appears to be a lot of things Android phones can't do, but I am not here to discuss that. One thing that I am sure it can do is using only your voice to have text read and reply using only your voice.

In Windows phone you can set your text to be read to you if you are connected to Bluetooth, or wired headset or all the time. If you want, you can keep it turned off. I am trying to find if there is something similar in the Galaxy S5. Where as one is driving down the road with the phone in your pocket, one can get a notification that you have a text and ask if you want it read. If you do, it reads it to you and ask if you if you want to reply. If you do want to reply, you can dictate and send a reply all without touching your phone.

That is the biggest feature my wife is missing.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Car Mode should do that. It reads texts out loud when they arrive and allows you to reply without touching the phone. You can also set it up to kick in automatically when it detects, say, your car's bluetooth system.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Or that... You can use Google Now to initiate a text with the hot word "OK Google" or S-Voice with "Hey, Galaxy". Or install a third party app like Nuance's Dragon Mobile Assistant.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I think the 'problem' is not that Android can't do things... it's that it CAN in many ways. So far, the only thing I've found that we can't 'do' with Android and others do is BlackBerry's unified Inbox and Apple's iMessage (and that's going a bit too far, since iMessage is essentially an IM protocol like Whatsapp or BBM, but at least it seamlessly integrates with SMS/MMS... Hangouts is ALMOST there, but not quite).

Jon Jackson

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Android does a ton more than any windows phone or iphone...so not sure what he meant, I just take it that the android phone does so much in so many different ways the OP is confused.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Probably yeah, and I totally understand. When I switched from BlackBerry (I know, I'm not proud haha) to Android I was biting my fingers off trying to figure things out at first. The one sin Android has it's also it's blessing: Choice. It's what has made it so fragmented and why it's not the easiest thing to pick up, because you CAN do a lot, you just need to make an effort to choose how to do it, to what extent, and with more or less powerful tools.

But, that's what we're here for, to try and make the transition smoother to all :)

BTW, totally unrelated and unasked for bit of irrelevant data. Jackson was the number 1 baby name in the US this year. Yeii you!

pvcleave

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
I don't want to start an argument, but for the things my wife and I use my phone for, what you say is untrue. I understand you are an Android fan and that is fine, but there are things that are on Windows phone and not on Android. You may not care about them, but I do.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Anything in particular? There are things that are bound to be platform-specific (for instance, I imagine that a Windows phone would be better tied to MS services like Exchange and Sharepoint, as well as Office and their cloud), but if you care to give us an example of what you can't find on Android, maybe we can find an alternative. Or just say "ooooh, that! yeah, you can't do that.". That's possible, too. Hehe.

pvcleave

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
Two examples, one is hardware and is even changing in windows phone, and that is the dedicated camera button. The other is groups. Groups may not sound like much, but in practice they are a great thing. I have my wife and kids in a group and I can see all contact with them in the one live tile. There are some new things that I really love. Live folders, people reminders, and location reminders. The live folder, is a folder with my different email boxes. I get a lot of email for work and have rules at work that puts them in folders within exchange. I do not want to have all folders pinned to my main window, so I have a windows phone live folder filled with each of these exchange folders. If I get an email that gets sent to these folders, my live tile will show it. This means I do not have to combine all my email. I have work and personal email and I do not want the two to mix. I group all my personal email into one inbox and have a separate for work. Then I have the work filtered folders. I am making this sound more complicated than it is. I get hundreds of emails a day and do not need to act on them, so I need to filter it. The folder system helps me do that and still see if I have something.

The people reminders is just as it says, if I am testing, emailing or calling a person with a people reminder on, it will pop up. Location reminders are just as they says. If I am in a location that I wanted to be reminded to do something, when I am there, I get reminded.

The reason I had my wife get an Android is because Windows did away with some of its great unique features, so I do understand that each operating system is changing. This is only a few of the things, there are others. Some of them are just different ways of doing things. Like the people hub or contacts. I love the way windows does it. It is different, I have heard enough Android people complain that have switched to know that. So for all the complaints I hear about how different Windows Phone does something, that means Android also does it differently. I have seriously considered Android several times. Previously I had thought about a a Galaxy, however now I would get a Note. I have a Lumia 1520 and could never go back to a small screen.

Forgive me for the rambling, I am in a hurry and did not have time to edit.

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
No problem, no rambling at all!

And yes, Android can do all those things, just differently. Except maybe the live tiles and folders. Sure, you can sync your Exchange account and keep the folder structure and even set up different notifications for different labels like in GMail, but like you say, it's a different implementation of a similar idea, and if you're used to the way it looks/feels in Windows, you probably will find Android's version awkward at least at first. Like I said, I still miss BlackBerry's unified inbox, and Android doesn't have that just yet.

As for the reminders, you can do that with Google Now or, if you REALLY want power, you can use apps like Tasker (SUPER powerful but a bit complicated to master), IFTTT, or Microsoft's On (x). Basically what they do is set rules. If something happens, then do this. You can set a contact e-mail, call, or text, or a certain location, or a certain time, and have your phone remind you of something or with more powerful apps, even do stuff like turning your lights on when you approach your house and the phone can 'see' your home WiFi, or dim the lights down when it senses your wife's phone's bluetooth connection on the night of your anniversary, or send a text automatically to your friend when you are within 3 miles of a certain restaurant you're meeting tonight. Stuff like that.

And I totally understand what you mean on the screen thing haha. I have an iPhone for work and a Note 4 as my personal device. I can't look at the iPhone and not think of it as a phone for a small child now. And to think that only a few years ago that was a huge screen haha.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
inventorBlack