How does the encrypted bootloader affect you?

wackydavo

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If there's already a thread on this please let me know. It looks like the folks over at xda-developers have confirmed tha the bootloader is "signed" or "encrypted" (is there a difference?) on the Atrix, which as I understand it is the case with the Droid X.

To all those who own the droid, how big of a deal is this to you? does the encrypted bootloader frustrate to a large degree? Do you have any regrets? Do you wish you would have got similarly Specced HTC phone?

I'm debating between the Atrix and an alternate phone with worse specs (but still pretty decent). I'd like some feedback from those with experience.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I do not have any regrets on getting the droid x.

Locked bootloaders limit the number of ROMs avaiable. But im still rooted and I can change my processor speed as well as other options a rooted user can do besides ROMs. I wont do ROMs so it doesn't bother me at all.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
hasnt affected me at all. i do flash custom roms, and the ones that i have tried on the X have been just fine. i love my x, and would have no qualms with buying another moto device, locked bootloader or not

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I don't regret getting the X at all. As said already, the locked bootloader does limit the ROMs available, but that's not such a big issue to me because there are still some ROMs I am able to flash.

Cyber Warrior

Robots Will Kill
Nov 28, 2010
Visit site
No regrets either..... I find it easier to root, rom, theme, over/underclock the DroidX compared to most other phones.
Rooting can be done straight from the phone..no computer needed and we have great apps for everything else... droid bootstrapper and droid overclock.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
An "encrypted" bootloader requires a cryptographically "signed" image to boot - essentially Motorola needs to bless the basics of the operating system or the phone will think someone's planted malware into the OS and prevent it from booting.

This has no effect at all on rooting the phone which provides me with all I actually care about. For those who like ROMs it limits you to ROMs that do not modify the kernel, but there doesn't seem to be much that new kernels buy you these days.

RHChan84

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
No regrets either..... I find it easier to root, rom, theme, over/underclock the DroidX compared to most other phones.
Rooting can be done straight from the phone..no computer needed and we have great apps for everything else... droid bootstrapper and droid overclock.

That is true. Z4 root is a once step root/unroot without a computer. Really easy to root current Motorola phones with Z4. Just download, open/install, click root, let it do it's thing then reboot.

Over/under clock is another one click. I read everything and thought it was going to be tougher then I though. I downloaded the app, then BANG all the clock speeds I was right in front of me. Just choose one and set it and forget it.

El Jefe

Oct 15, 2010
Visit site
No cyanogen rom with a fast custom kernel that is the main downside.

That's just 1 ROM though. I'm not saying that it isn't a good one, but I would never base a phone purchase on if it can run Cyanogenmod or not. HTC phones have notoriously bad battery life & what good is CM7 if your phone can't make it through the day.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I wasnt real happy with my x due to software bugs from motorola but since rooted and custom roms changed that. The encrypted bootloader hasnt affected me that much but maybe one day it will get cracked. Be cool to see a cyanogen rom be available on the x . Happy with it since rooting and custom rom tho :)

I found it easy to root with Z4root,which was similar to rooting incredible with unrevolked.

If I havent rooted I probably wouldnt be happy with the x tho and be doing an upgrade since I am within that.

Dplymkr88#AC

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any regrets buying it and like most have said you can do *most* of the things that you can do with an unlocked bootloader. However, I do not like being told what to do with my phone. Once I buy the device it is mine, so I can do with it as I please. So if there are two phones that are comparable in hardware and one is locked and one is not then I would go with the unlocked one. My contract is not up for awhile so I won't have to worry about it for some time. To me it's more an issue of being told what to do with something you own rather than being able to do less with the phone.

Bushido Brown

Jul 8, 2010
Visit site
An "encrypted" bootloader requires a cryptographically "signed" image to boot - essentially Motorola needs to bless the basics of the operating system or the phone will think someone's planted malware into the OS and prevent it from booting.

This has no effect at all on rooting the phone which provides me with all I actually care about. For those who like ROMs it limits you to ROMs that do not modify the kernel, but there doesn't seem to be much that new kernels buy you these days.
Precisely. It honestly doesn't effect me at all.

I still don't know why people act as if the exclusion from CM makes any difference. Liberty and Apex are better ROMs IMO, because they allow you to easily use the best elements of both stock, and manufacturer software. Where as with CM, you can pretty much kiss any Sense UI related enhancements goodbye.

Those dudes have an "Apple'like" reputation these days where a lot of people just assume they're the best by default without doing any research.

wackydavo

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the responses everyone. It sounds like the real downside is limiting custom roms available. Because of this, I am somewhat concerned that Motorola will stop pushing Android upgrades to the phone after 1+ years and my choice of roms may be limited.

Another concern is performance enhancements. I suspect that the new motoblur is not as efficient as it could be (especially on the Atrix's dual core). I have read that certain roms (including CM) provide speed enhancements through the kernal, which is unaccessible in a signed/encrypted bootloader. I'm not talking about overclocking, which sounds like it is do-able even without access to the kernal. Anyone have any knowledge as to what types of speed/efficiency improvements might be found in a rom that enhances speed within the kernal?

Thanks again, for the responses.

jdbower

Jul 2, 2010
Visit site
You may be overthinking things a bit - it's just a phone! If it suits your needs go for it, if you're worried about it wait a bit for the bugs to be worked out and see if you like it. If you make a mistake you've learned a bit about what you want in a phone and you'll make a better choice next time.

Your concerns are actually a bit contradictory. On one hand you're concerned about Motorola dropping support for upgrades a year down the line because you want to keep it for a while. This is potentially legitimate if the Atrix is a flop, but since the original Droid is still getting updates I'm guessing my X will be updated with reasonable regularity. The X has gotten reviews of new releases, but these were always things Motorola was planning on releasing anyway. I guess the first time a former high-end phone gets support dropped we'll have some better data on how real this concern is.

On the other hand, you're worried about wringing speed out of the phone. The Atrix by any measure will be a very fast phone on release - tweaking it to be a little faster (or, more appropriately, do a little better on a benchmark test) is a fun hobby but your phone will already outperform just about any app out there. Fast forward a year from now and there's nothing that will make the Atrix look like a fast phone - an extra few points on a benchmark won't be able to compete with quadcore processors, faster RAM, or whatever else the next big thing is. It's just a fact of life that if you want the fastest phone you'll want to buy them off contract or, at most, with one year pricing.

Since I'm in the "replace-them-often" crowd the Atrix isn't a good choice for me. The Webtop is the real reason to get the phone and since it will be useless in a year or two when I upgrade to the next best thing it's a wasted accessory. If you're more interested in the "keep-it-forever" of "bleeding edge software" crowd you may want to look into a Nexus series. If you really like the idea of the Webtop (which I do, just not without a universal mounting port) then the locked bootloader shouldn't be stopping you.

Mkiller82

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
While I do like my DX, I would prefer if Moto released the signing keys to developers. Not being able to mod and fully customize the phone I bought sucks.

Currently considering the Thunderbolt or the LG Revolution as my next phone and just give my girl my DX to replace that crappy Citrus she is carrying around.

Also, the Zoom looks sweet but a locked/encrypted boot loader on that will make me look somewhere else.

greydarrah

May 5, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't effect me at all. If it bothers you, as in, your life wont be complete without cyanogen, buy something else. I would say that buying a lesser phone just so you can get at the bootloader seems re-tarded...but that's just my opinion. Since I wont be using your phone very often, it shouldn't matter that much.

jwcarroll01

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Doesnt really affect me neither, as long as i can root and ROM, I'm good. I agree, if your basing a phone on Cyanogen then get another phone, Liberty is just as good if not better imo