How get new AT&T nano sim

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I just ordered my Moto X and wanted to know the easiest/cheapest way to get a new nano sim card for it. My current phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3 and I am on unlimited LTE data. I bought the no contract Pure edition. Is there still an issue with AT&T's system not recognizing the Moto X(and having to use another phones IMEI) or has that been fixed? Thanks.

raqball

Trusted Member
Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
I activated my Pure Edition Moto X over the phone today with AT&T and had no issues at all. Gave them the IMEI and the SIM card number..

Everything is working great!

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Is there any difference in cost between going to an att store or ordering online/phone? Are they free?

Posted via Android Central App

dan1431

Mar 29, 2010
Visit site
The only issue I have ever experienced trying to get a SIM from an at&t Corporate Store is push back from the salesperson. As I understand it, they make their income from selling contracts and simply activating a SIM is NOT financially beneficial to them.

I have twice been told they are unable to activate a SIM without a new phone, once I was told their manager charges them for each SIM they give out and that if I wanted a SIM I would have to pay him $35 and my personal favorite I was told that it is illegal to simply hand out SIM cards and that Homeland Security audits SIM card stocks at each store.

Each and every time it is funny how the Manager has absolutely no idea what I am talking about and simply activates my SIM no questions asked. I get it, the salesperson does not really make money unless they sell contracts, but don't lie.

Dan

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Do I need to actually have the phone for them to give me the sim? It is on order.

Posted via Android Central App

bikedogrun

Oct 6, 2009
Visit site
You should not need the phone to be with you.

I went to my local (Oregon) AT&T Corporate Store yesterday to get the nano sim for my just arrived Moto X (2014) and did not have either the new Moto X or even the phone currently on that particular line. The sales guy was great, made sure I understood that when he activated the new sim the phone on that particular line back at my house would stop working? I said "no problem" and he activated the new nano sim and handed it to me, no charge.

TheRydad

Nov 7, 2014
Visit site
Just to add my 2 pennies...

I have never had a problem asking for a SIM card from an AT&T store. The last time I was in, I even asked for an extra to keep at home in case I swap out or add a phone to my account by calling customer service instead of coming into the store. The last time I was on the phone with a customer service rep, they also sent me a replacement SIM in case I needed it to add another tablet later.

There are two ready-to-go SIM cards in my desk drawer right now.

-rd

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
Thanks all. I go into a corporate store and get one. I just don't want to activate it then since I don't have the Moto X yet and am still using my Samsung GS3.

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I just went to an AT&T corporate store to get a nano sim and they said that I had to have the phone and have it activated in the store. That this was a policy for security. I told them that I didn't have the phone yet and was told I could activate it over the phone. They said that was incorrect and would not give me a sim. So is this a new policy or was I BS'ed?

rlb

Jun 21, 2010
Visit site
I just got off the phone with customer care. They said that is NOT AT&T policy and that a corporate store should give me a free sim card without having the phone or activating it in store. They said I could call 611 from my phone and ask for a supervisor and they would tell the store the correct policy. I would like to go back to the same store and make a point to the guy who refused to give me the sim but I don't want to act like a jerk. I might just go to another corporate store and see what happens there.

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I went to the AT&T store Monday to get a nano SIM. The phone was delivered to my home, and I was coming home from work. The AT&T agent gave me a nano SIM right away, and I had thought she was going to have it activated for me so that when I put it in my phone, it would be ready for use. After I waited a couple hours, I called AT&T CS, and it took 50 minutes to get everything resolved. What a pain.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
matheb708