How good is the computational photography?

DanielLoreti

Sep 20, 2018
Visit site
I'm new to Pixel and I hear about this computational photography. I see the Pixel doesn't have a Pro camera mode, so how good is the auto mode? Playing with it in the store, I also didn't see many modes compared to my Galaxy. Is the software really good at detecting things on its own with minimal input?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It doesn't have lot of modes or a good interface as Samsung top tier but it does photography very well and moving objects that normally be blur.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Pixels have never had a lot of different modes, because the computational photography is so good at making your images look as close as possible to real life, without excessive color saturation. You can always apply filters afterwards, if you want the photo to look a certain way.

The main mode that the camera will shift to is Night Sight, if it detects the ambient light isn't enough for a good regular shot. But it can also tell if you're trying to do Astrophotography (which typically requires the phone to be stock still, i.e. on a tripod).

I may be wrong, but I think 3rd party camera apps can't take advantage of the Pixel software.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, using a third party app defeats the point of owning a Pixel.

Pixels have possibly the best mobile camera available, but they are basic phones for basic people... if you want every option plus the kitchen sink, buy a Samsung

Reactions: Maljunulo

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
I'm new to Pixel and I hear about this computational photography. I see the Pixel doesn't have a Pro camera mode, so how good is the auto mode? Playing with it in the store, I also didn't see many modes compared to my Galaxy. Is the software really good at detecting things on its own with minimal input?
Yup

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Pixels have possibly the best mobile camera available, but they are basic phones for basic people... if you want every option plus the kitchen sink, buy a Samsung

Actually, the phones with the kitchen sink camera these days are probably Sony.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Is there a good third party camera app since Googles is kind of barebones?
No you won't get better results then the stock camera app , if you want a pull out and take shot camera that will basically give good results every time then pixels but you want further then what a stock shooter gives them Samsung.

L0n3N1nja

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
Is there a good third party camera app since Googles is kind of barebones?

It may have changed in the last year or two but last I knew third party camera apps can only access the primary camera lens which has severely limited their potential since phones began adding additional cameras. Moment(the company that makes mobile phone lenses and gear) has a really solid app but they quit developing their Android version because manufacturers wouldn't allow them access to the other lenses on the phone and it crippled the experience compared to iOS.

Personally this is one of the reasons I won't touch a Pixel phone. Google may arguably have the best computational photography(better than Samsung, debatable against Apple) but simply picking up a camera and shooting in auto allowing it to decide the frame rate and exposure severely limits the capabilities of the camera. The average person taking photos of their family or posting snapshots to social media don't understand this, but a photographer who understands the exposure triangle certainly does.

If you want something that will do a good job in most situations when you just pull it out of your pocket and shoot a Pixel is a solid choice, if you want to decide how your images turn out it's a horrible choice.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
It may have changed in the last year or two but last I knew third party camera apps can only access the primary camera lens which has severely limited their potential since phones began adding additional cameras. Moment(the company that makes mobile phone lenses and gear) has a really solid app but they quit developing their Android version because manufacturers wouldn't allow them access to the other lenses on the phone and it crippled the experience compared to iOS.

Personally this is one of the reasons I won't touch a Pixel phone. Google may arguably have the best computational photography(better than Samsung, debatable against Apple) but simply picking up a camera and shooting in auto allowing it to decide the frame rate and exposure severely limits the capabilities of the camera. The average person taking photos of their family or posting snapshots to social media don't understand this, but a photographer who understands the exposure triangle certainly does.

If you want something that will do a good job in most situations when you just pull it out of your pocket and shoot a Pixel is a solid choice, if you want to decide how your images turn out it's a horrible choice.
I think Google computational photography is better then iPhone and iPhone is very good for automatic shooter.

J Dubbs

Jun 4, 2016
Visit site

I agree, I like to tinker a little with my phones, but with my Z Flip 3 (my first modern Samsung) the options are overwhelming. Setting that phone up and looking at all the options is a time trap... I don't have the time/patience/desire to mess with everything. And I haven't even installed Good Lock yet to try out some themes lol. Now I understand why Samsung owners are so reluctant to do factory resets :eek:

The hardcore types must invest days in getting everything set up just the way they want it.

On a side note I'm surprised how few wallpapers are included... I've never had a phone with such limited wallpaper options. Same goes with the cover screen. You get sent to the Galaxy Store immediately to "pay up" lol... or try some ad/malware infested freebies, which I never do.

Maljunulo

Jan 17, 2016
Visit site
if you want to decide how your images turn out it's a horrible choice.
This is like saying “Listen to a symphony through an equalizer if you want to decide how your music sounds.“

What you get isn’t what was there, and for many of us photography is what was there when we took the photo.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter