How long till discounts are offered for the S7 (from carriers)?

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Wondering how long after release carriers like AT&T will start offering discounts/promotions?
Anyone remember how long after S6 release they started?
I think I read another thread that Verizon is already offering $100 off on qualified users.

Reason I'm asking is I got G2 on upgrade couple of years ago with subsidized pricing.
The next year, company did me a favor and give me a G3 and didnt cost them much because of upgrade pricing through business account.
So I'm liking what I see from the S7 release over the LG G5 release and maybe finally want to try a Samsung.
But not use to this new trend in paying full price.

Honestly still like my G3 and runs so well it could serve me well another year or more.
But if they offer a decent promotion with a big enough discount then I'll consider it.
Any info appreciated. Thx.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
You can get a free vr with $50 oculus cash with purchase

Verizon offers $100 off right now on dpp with port in

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?p=5011291

Verizon also offers $100 minimum on trade in of any smartphone

Verizon also offers $100 off on dpp upgrades for select accounts.

Verizon let's you get a free Gear S2 on dpp in lieu of vr

Tmobile offers free 1 year Netflix

donm527#IM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I've seen the Verizon and not against changing carriers but hoping to see what AT&T has...
I've had my unlimited with AT&T since the iPhone 1 and even though last 3 phones were Nexus 4, LG G2 and LG G3, looking to keep my plan :)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I've seen the Verizon and not against changing carriers but hoping to see what AT&T has...
I've had my unlimited with AT&T since the iPhone 1 and even though last 3 phones were Nexus 4, LG G2 and LG G3, looking to keep my plan :)
Sure, I understand. I am on Verizon so I was mainly investigating Verizon promotions.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

This is what I am seeing on the AT&T Website for their offers.

Attachments

• AT&T.png
    AT&T.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 90

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Verizon also offers $100 minimum on trade in of any smartphone

Does this apply to purchasing the phone for $199 on a 2 year contract?

I spoke with tech support today about when the S7 will be on sale and he said it's usually around a holiday (Mother's Day, Easter, etc). So if the phone comes out on March 11, I'm thinking Mother's Day would probably be when we'd see it on sale. I can wait that long. My S5 is still a great working phone. Can you stack deals? If they drop the price $100 for a Mother's Day sale, are they still going to give you $100 for your old phone?
I filled out the info on the Verizon site to see how much my phone is worth for trade in. They said it was $93.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Does this apply to purchasing the phone for $199 on a 2 year contract?

I spoke with tech support today about when the S7 will be on sale and he said it's usually around a holiday (Mother's Day, Easter, etc). So if the phone comes out on March 11, I'm thinking Mother's Day would probably be when we'd see it on sale. I can wait that long. My S5 is still a great working phone. Can you stack deals? If they drop the price $100 for a Mother's Day sale, are they still going to give you $100 for your old phone?
I filled out the info on the Verizon site to see how much my phone is worth for trade in. They said it was $93.
I am not sure. It is possible that it is only for dpp, as Verizon doesn't officially do contracts anymore except for legacy.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Boy if they offered a $199 on 2 year contact I'd probably jump on that cause it just sounds like those days are gone now. I can wait til holidays but just hoping itd be sooner lol. if I could save $200 I'd probably jump on it now.

(apologize if any confusion between posts from donm527 and donm527#IM... yes same person but havent taken the time to figure out how that happened.)

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
as Verizon doesn't officially do contracts anymore except for legacy.

So since we've been with Verizon since the mid to late 90s, is that considered "legacy" and will they fade that
out after awhile? The guy I spoke to in ts didn't communicate to me that the $199/2 yr contract was for a special
group of people.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
So since we've been with Verizon since the mid to late 90s, is that considered "legacy" and will they fade that
out after awhile? The guy I spoke to in ts didn't communicate to me that the $199/2 yr contract was for a special
group of people.

Well Verizon announced that they ended contracts a while back. Though existing accounts at the time can still do them. It doesn't matter how old your account is, just what plan you are on.

On my nationwide plan, there is no up charge for being on contract, but on newer plans, there is a $15-25 up charge for 2 years if you go on contract. Even users on the current Verizon plan can do contracts, for a $20 surcharge for 2 years. But it depends on where you go, whether or not they let you do it.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Boy if they offered a $199 on 2 year contact I'd probably jump on that cause it just sounds like those days are gone now. I can wait til holidays but just hoping itd be sooner lol. if I could save $200 I'd probably jump on it now.

(apologize if any confusion between posts from donm527 and donm527#IM... yes same person but havent taken the time to figure out how that happened.)
You can get the Verizon s7 for $200 on contract from best buy. Just check your plan, any plan after the nationwide plans will require a $15-25 surcharge for 2 years.

erwaso

Mar 11, 2011
Visit site
Price drops on Samsungs don't happen for a while. The S6 is barely seeing a price drop but there were gift card promos that started at the holidays.

The pre order promos are good if you like the gear vr and need an SD card from best buy. If not, expect to wait 6 months for gift card promos and until the S7 or Note for price drops.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I bought my S5 May 11ish of 2014. I think it dropped less than two months prior. TS thinks the S7 will follow suite. We'll see.
I spoke to another ts person at Verizon today to see if the $100 promo for a used trade in phone was eligible for a 2 yr contract price (pre-order). It wasn't. He followed all the steps to place the order but it wouldn't take the trade in phone AT THIS TIME. He said it will after the phone is out. I asked him about a white S7. His wife also works for Verizon and knows more about that than he does. He's going to talk to her tonight and email me tomorrow.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
any plan after the nationwide plans will require a $15-25 surcharge for 2 years.

per month, year or a one time surcharge for 2 years? If I'm keeping my exact same plan when I renew, are there new charges with the upgrade of a new phone...excluding the cost of the phone and upgrade charge (that I usually don't have to pay)

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
per month, year or a one time surcharge for 2 years? If I'm keeping my exact same plan when I renew, are there new charges with the upgrade of a new phone...excluding the cost of the phone and upgrade charge (that I usually don't have to pay)

Which plan are you on?

The $15-25 is per month, for 2 years on the share everything, more everything, or Verizon plans,and some legacy individual plans.

If you are upgrading on contract then you will have to pay a $40 upgrade fee and tax on the phone.

donm527

Aug 21, 2014
Visit site
Went to Best Buy to check out the S7s and spoke to the rep there and told him how I wish AT&T still had subsidized prices and I didn't want to lose my unlimited data and only paying $85/m now for my single line and he try to show me how going with the Next plan the cost of the phone could be almost like buying subsidized pricing by going with 15gb data plan which includes merging my wifes account which includes my daughter (i6Plus + i6S) which may make it cheaper combined? something to do with how not as much taxes charged with Next plan or something. I have to look into it. Any comments on Next plan appreciated.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
Went to Best Buy to check out the S7s and spoke to the rep there and told him how I wish AT&T still had subsidized prices and I didn't want to lose my unlimited data and only paying $85/m now for my single line and he try to show me how going with the Next plan the cost of the phone could be almost like buying subsidized pricing by going with 15gb data plan which includes merging my wifes account which includes my daughter (i6Plus + i6S) which may make it cheaper combined? something to do with how not as much taxes charged with Next plan or something. I have to look into it. Any comments on Next plan appreciated.
Just run the math over 2 years... Cost of service plus cost of phone and fees and what not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fatJimmy