How many use Face Unlock?

Do you use Face Unlock?

• Total voters

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
After two and and half weeks of trying the Face Unlock feature, I'm about ready to chuck it...

It actually works pretty well in as far as not thinking other people are me, and one of my friends even tried taking several pictures of me on his iPhone and placing it up to the front-facing camera to try to bypass it and couldn't.

However, I find myself having to use the manual unlock several times a day, because Face Unlock couldn't recognize my face, so I always go into the security section to try and improve it. I think over two weeks of use in trying to improve facial recognition should have been sufficient, but apparently it's still not good enough.

How about you guys? What has your experience been with Face Unlock?

k000

May 12, 2012
Visit site
If we do the 'improve' thing does it add to the database or just replace the db with last pic only?

My issue was many times the face recognition won't even trigger, only a blank screen... And then I would waste 5-6 seconds and then the pin, so I stopped it. It does freak out others and is a great show off feature :)

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I used it on my Evo 3D for a few weeks. It worked well for the most part. Improving it adds more pictures to the database. I haven't used it yet on this phone but I'm considering trying it again.

Sent from my Evo 4G LTE using Tapatalk

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
If we do the 'improve' thing does it add to the database or just replace the db with last pic ?

No it improves it and keeps them all when improving it, it'll tell you to do it in different lighting and even with a beard to improve it, me I probably improved it 30 to 40 times in different lighting, angles, close up far back even with some facial hair and clean shave and it works for me 95% of the times, as long as I don't move the phone too much, man even last Saturday night in the club it caught my face all but once that night, I have to say I'm truly impressed with face unlock works better then I expected.... Better then Swype :banghead: which makes me edit my posts 2/3 times lol

Sent from my HTC .....oh wait its stuck at customs

domo22

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
I use it and it works most of the time.. If not I just unlock with my pin and good to go.. Its also just fun to use.

Starfleet Captain

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
It helps to improve the security by taking those improvement shots at different times of the day and different lighting.

This! I use it and it works a lot better and more reliably than I thought it would. At first, it only worked half the time. But I kept improving under different lighting situations (outside, inside at night, inside at low light, inside during daylight with no inside light, etc.) it now works 90 percent of the time and its quick to recognize me.

Sent from my EVO 4G LTE using Android Central Forums

k000

May 12, 2012
Visit site
No it improves it and keeps them all when improving it, it'll tell you to do it in different lighting and even with a beard to improve it, me I probably improved it 30 to 40 times in different lighting, angles, close up far back even with some facial hair and clean shave and it works for me 95% of the times, as long as I don't move the phone too much, man even last Saturday night in the club it caught my face all but once that night, I have to say I'm truly impressed with face unlock works better then I expected.... Better then Swype :banghead: which makes me edit my posts 2/3 times lol

In our home we passed around the phone... and we tried to add our kids or wife's snapshot instead of me and they enjoyed the experience... does it mean that now my db is corrupted.. or if I disable enable again it will start db from scratch ?

solo1

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I used it for about a day ... I got frustrated with it because it didn't recognize me with my hat or my glasses on ... But now as I read this thread I didn't realize that it had the improvement feature ... I may have to revisit the face unlock and give it a second go round.

adventure95004

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I used it for about a day ... I got frustrated with it because it didn't recognize me with my hat or my glasses on ... But now as I read this thread I didn't realize that it had the improvement feature ... I may have to revisit the face unlock and give it a second go round.

It will work with hat, glasses, sunglasses etc. I probably spent 10 minutes doing the improvement pictures and now get it about 95% of the time. I go from hard hat and safety glasses to suit and tie. Low light is about the only time it has problems.

PhyscoAssassinX

Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
In our home we passed around the phone... and we tried to add our kids or wife's snapshot instead of me and they enjoyed the experience... does it mean that now my db is corrupted.. or if I disable enable again it will start db from scratch ?

I honestly can't answer of its corrupted or not but i believe that disabling and re-enabling resets the face unlock,

doomstang

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Disabling it should clear the database and force you to rebuild it when you enable it again.

Sent from my Evo 4G LTE using Tapatalk

naldiian

Jun 3, 2010
Visit site

If you turn security off or switch to a different lock option it clears the face unlock data ...

That is both good and bad, as if you change it for any reason it needs to be set up all over again. At least, that was my experience with it.

hypercubexl

May 17, 2012
Visit site
I tried it and it worked fine, can see the novelty, but the fact you have to wait to do the face unlock and then still pull the ring, loses the flow of the whole thing and actually takes quite a while compared to other unlocks, it got old real fast.

Glenn

Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It helps to improve the security by taking those improvement shots at different times of the day and different lighting.
Nearly every time it doesn't recognize my face, the first thing I do after unlocking the phone is to go into security to improve face unlock, while trying to keep the same angle and lighting conditions, as that would be more "real world" for me than holding the phone up at eye-level.

I used Face Unlock the first few days and it worked really well. But the front facing camera makes my face look fat, so I stopped using it.
:lol:

dskwerl

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
I used it for a while, but have since gone back to the PIN unlock. As someone else mentioned, fairly often it would just skip trying to do Face Unlock and go straight to PIN mode after a few-second delay.

I probably should have taken some extra shots to improve recognition, but I never bothered to. I may go back and play with it again, eventually. Sometimes I feel weird walking around and holding my phone up to my face just so to get it to unlock. Otherwise, it is pretty nifty, and definitely a nice "show off" feature.

justryan

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
I used it for a week and got tired of updating my photo. Just using the pass screen is quicker. Also, I have to wonder if Google is capturing these photos for later use. Remember Goog-411? They used all of our voice data to develop the voice search features now in our Android phones. We would be blind to think that there isn't a possibility of them using our facial photos to develop something else. Remember the Minority Report advertising boards? If that's all that they would be used for, I'm okay with it. However if "SkyNet" gets ahold of that...not a good thought.

Sent from my EVO using Android Central Forums