how to expand storage on Samsung Galaxy SM-A536U

Mar 22, 2024
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy SM-A536U.

I am constantly running out of storage. is there any way to add a memory card of some kind?

Can someone give me some recommendations?

Thanks very much in advance.

W

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! The Galaxy A53 5G has a microSD slot that can support up to 1 TB, but as with most modern Android devices, this can really only be used for external storage (i.e., storage for documents, media files, and the like). You can't use it to expand your internal storage, and you can't install apps to external storage.

Reactions: winmod21

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a Samsung Galaxy SM-A536U.

I am constantly running out of storage. is there any way to add a memory card of some kind?

Can someone give me some recommendations?

Thanks very much in advance.

W
You can always move stuff—i.e. photos & music, or large mostly unused files &c—to a PC, via your USB cable.

However, the 'Galaxy A53 5G' specs do show that it has a 'microSDXC (uses shared SIM slot) card slot. Does yours not have one?

Mar 22, 2024
Visit site
thank you! that would be very helpful to put all the media on a card.

so is there a specific microSDXC card that I should buy? I'll get the maximum capacity that the device can accept.

Thanks again!

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
thank you! that would be very helpful to put all the media on a card.

so is there a specific microSDXC card that I should buy? I'll get the maximum capacity that the device can accept.

Thanks again!
Any of the major brands like SanDisk, Samsung, and Lexar.

But make sure you get them from legitimate sources. If buying on Amazon, make sure the seller is actually from the manufacturer. There are a lot of fakes out there from lesser known sellers that sell on Amazon. Watch those prices too. The fake or counterfeit cards say they are bigger than they really are, will be priced ridiculously low for the stated capacity, and will corrupt faster.

Mar 22, 2024
Visit site
thanks again, very much!

it should be arriving today, I'll report on how well it works.

(and I know there's a how-to somewhere, illustrating the way to install the card.)

thanks yet again,

W

Reactions: winmod21
Mar 22, 2024
Visit site
Hey! So here's a complication.: there appears to already be a memory card in the slot!

which is confusing: if there's card in there already, why am I totally out of storage space?

Does it make sense to remove the present card, and insert the new one, which (at 512GB) is certainly larger? But is there going to be something on there that I shall lose if I do that?

When I look at any of the FILES programs, they do NOT show a separate storage card, only the MAIN STORAGE drive. (Hm... that is odd, looking at multiple FILES programs include FILE MASTER and MY FILES and none of them seem to be aware that there is a card in the slot ... I would take a picture of it but I can't use my phone camera for that if the phone is powered down.)

again, grateful for any suggestions, as always.

Thanks

w

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hey! So here's a complication.: there appears to already be a memory card in the slot!

which is confusing: if there's card in there already, why am I totally out of storage space?

Does it make sense to remove the present card, and insert the new one, which (at 512GB) is certainly larger? But is there going to be something on there that I shall lose if I do that?

When I look at any of the FILES programs, they do NOT show a separate storage card, only the MAIN STORAGE drive. (Hm... that is odd, looking at multiple FILES programs include FILE MASTER and MY FILES and none of them seem to be aware that there is a card in the slot ... I would take a picture of it but I can't use my phone camera for that if the phone is powered down.)

again, grateful for any suggestions, as always.

Thanks

w
Check in Device Care under storage if you have an SD card

Mar 22, 2024
Visit site
Hmm..

* it says SD on it, rather than something that would indicate a SIM card ... I'll try to figure out some way of taking a picture of it.

* my DEVICE CARE page does NOT mention an SD card. I am wondering if the card in there is a dummy or a placeholder? I'll try to get a photo of it using someone else's phone camera..

thanks again for feedback!

w

Attachments

• Device care screenshot.jpeg
    Device care screenshot.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 8

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Hmm..

* it says SD on it, rather than something that would indicate a SIM card ... I'll try to figure out some way of taking a picture of it.

* my DEVICE CARE page does NOT mention an SD card. I am wondering if the card in there is a dummy or a placeholder? I'll try to get a photo of it using someone else's phone camera..

thanks again for feedback!

w
Tap storage in device care and see if it's there

Reactions: BerryBubbles

joeldf

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Make sure you're not looking at the SIM card.

The tray for the SIM card and the SD card is the same tray. Each card just uses each side.

SIM card on one side, flip it over, and the SD card snaps in on that side. You have to be careful as the contacts always face out, and be sure both cards are properly snapped in and seated before sliding the tray back into the slot. Maybe even wipe the finger oil off the contacts before putting it back in. Assuming you're using your bare fingers when doing this.

Mar 22, 2024
Visit site
thank you guys! yes, here are pictures of what I am looking at - thank YOU!

very helpful! thanks again for your feedback!

Attachments

• Galaxy Phone Micro SD card ? - 2.jpeg
    Galaxy Phone Micro SD card ? - 2.jpeg
    743.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Galaxy Phone Micro SD card ? - 1.jpeg
    Galaxy Phone Micro SD card ? - 1.jpeg
    938.9 KB · Views: 7

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member