How-To: Hide Deep Screen Scratches.

ubi79

Jun 30, 2020
Visit site
Hey everyone -

This is a fix which worked for me to hide some big scratches I made on the screen of my S10e using windshield repair resin and a glass screen protector.

I'm posting this in the hopes that it helps the next ***** ;)

Context

I scratched my screen up pretty good. I bought a used s10e which had a slightly damaged screen protector glued on. In trying to remove it hastily, the protector started to shatter into a thousand pieces, some of which got between my fingers and the screen. Needless to say, that made some pretty solid gashes in the glass. I figured I could just ignore it once I put on my screen protector, but even a few days in, it was still glaringly obvious.

The scratches were more than just light scuffs. They were deep and wide enough for air to be trapped under the glass screen protector, making them even more noticeable. Thankfully nothing was cracked though.

Fix: Windshield resin + screen protector

My hare-brained ideas rarely work. I was shocked that this one did.

I bought a basic windshield repair resin. I tried using it according to the instructions to no avail - once I shaved off the excess resin, the scratches were still there.

I still had some in the tube though, so I gave something a try: I applied a very thin coating even-ish-ly to the screen before putting on the tempered glass screen protector. With some difficulty, I pressed the air bubbles and excess resin out - it took a few minutes and quite a bit of pressure. Once it was done, I left the phone out in the sun for 15 minutes for the resin to solidify.

And to my eternal surprise, it worked. It's like the scratches were never there, both when the screen is on and off. I'm as thrilled as I am surprised that it worked as well as it does. I suspect that the same result could be accomplished with a screen protector that has a resin or glue.

Anyhow, I hope that this can help someone else googling for the same problem. I sure wish I'd known about this sooner!

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
You can probably get similar results with a Whitestone Dome screen protector. It's use LOCA glue which hides scratches.

ubi79

Jun 30, 2020
Visit site
Hi,
Do you have before and after pictures?

I should have taken some before pics, but I honestly didn't anticipate it working so I didn't bother.
This picture isn't of my phone, but it's pretty analogous to mine in terms of depth and length:

temp.jpg

This is mine now:

WIN_20200701_07_59_12_Pro.jpg

ubi79

Jun 30, 2020
Visit site
You can probably get similar results with a Whitestone Dome screen protector. It uses LOCA glue which hides scratches.

It sounds like I took a roundabout way to do just that! If this screen protector breaks at some point, I'll definitely go for the LOCA solution.

ubi79

Jun 30, 2020
Visit site
The "repaired" picture light angle isn't the same as the "damaged" picture. Too hard to tell

Not only is it not the same angle, it's not the same phone!
I didn't take any before shots, so I went online to find a picture of similar scratches. The one I posted is from JerryRigEverything, and looks very much like the ones on mine.

ubi79

Jun 30, 2020
Visit site
Never tried , so can't comment, I do have older phones with cracked screens cantry and experiment .

My iphone 8+ just needs a screen

I dont think it'll have the same effect on cracks :p
The back of my s10e is cracked and I put some of the resin on there too. Although it smoothed out the cracks so you can't feel them, it didn't have any significant impact on their visibility.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I dont think it'll have the same effect on cracks
The back of my s10e is cracked and I put some of the resin on there too. Although it smoothed out the cracks so you can't feel them, it didn't have any significant impact on their visibility.
Haha, wouldn't think so