How to turn on ringtones for some contacts and not others

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

Can I have a ringtone on for my favourite contacts and leave the phone on vibrate for majority. I've tried googling it but all I can find is the do not disturb function. It is at night I want this but the problem with using the dnd function is i'd have to turn the volume up for it to work. I like to keep my phone on vibrate only all the time as I have a smart watch and will get the notification that way. I don't wear my watch by night so this won't help

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try this:

1. Go to Settings>Sound>Vibration, and make sure it's turned on for ringing.
2. Go to Settings>Sounds>Ringtone (and if you're using a Pixel, select My Sounds), and select None. This will make your default ringtone None, but I'm presuming the phone will still vibrate for a call.
3. Open your Contacts app, select the contacts you want to actually trigger a ringtone, tap the menu button at the upper right, then Set Ringtone.

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Try this:

1. Go to Settings>Sound>Vibration, and make sure it's turned on for ringing.
2. Go to Settings>Sounds>Ringtone (and if you're using a Pixel, select My Sounds), and select None. This will make your default ringtone None, but I'm presuming the phone will still vibrate for a call.
3. Open your Contacts app, select the contacts you want to actually trigger a ringtone, tap the menu button at the upper right, then Set Ringtone.
Forgot about that. I stand corrected.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Forgot about that. I stand corrected.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

But you're right about Google Messages -- there's no way to customize notification tones for contacts on Pixels, at least with the native system. I think it could be done on Samsung phones before, but I also think they took that feature away at some point.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragnDon