How to upgrade a Tablet Cell from 4.0.4 or at least get to 3G?

A

AC Question

I have a 7" phablet. The model is TabletCell. I think it's a Huawei, But there's nothing on or in it to say for sure, except 'Made in China'. Settings (About Tablet) says the Model is 'Tablet Cell', OS is 4.0.4, Baseband V is M1190_V1.0.9_P10, Kernel V is 3.0.8+ and build # is TabletCell 20130704. I really just want to use it mostly for net browsing, but it's stuck on 2G. When I go to Mobile network settings, the "Uses only 2g networks" box is ALWAYS checked with a blue checkmark. EVERY time I uncheck and leave that page and come back, the box is always checked again when I come back. I've tried unchecking the box and shutting down/restarting, but it's always checked again. I also have a Galaxy note1 on 4.1.2, and it's way quicker, but I need a bigger display to save me from eyestrain. I'm using straight talk and the SIM card works fine in the tablet for phone and text (although the voice to text is horrendous, probably because of the slow data).

I spend a lot of time in rural areas and Wi-Fi is usually not available. How can I upgrade to 4.x or at least get around the 2G problem?