How's your XL running these days?

Randy Spear

Jun 28, 2013
Visit site
My phone is getting pretty slow... Autorotate and bringing the keyboard up usually freezes the phone. There's a typing lag and the occasional shut down.
I've got maybe 75 apps (no games or anything cumbersome). I use Gboard and Nova launcher although I've gone back to the default launcher with no improvement in performance.

Just wondering if these symptoms are standard across the board for you guys?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It sounds standard if you use he home button to "end" apps (it doesn't, if just runs the launcher). If you use the back button, no. If you restart the phone once in a while, no.

I use Nova (I won't use anything else that's out there) and SwiftKey. Never clear cache (app or system) - but I do turn the phone off periodically. And I use the back button to end apps.

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Mine gets stuck into something unintended when I pocket the phone. Go figurere. That runs down the battery and I can feel the phone get warmer.
Otherwise no complaints. Miss the "percent" sign in the keyboard now and again tho.

Go back to Samsung? I miss the stylus. Still hit a bum key now and again, makes for interesting spelling!

But the thing that drove me away from the Samsung Note series (I had a 3) was having Samsung's version of apps and me loading the apps _I_ preferred. Never could see the sense of 2X the apps - added clutter and didn't add another level of functionality or utility.

My $ 00.02 worth.

Davidoo

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Mine still runs like new. I'm one of those who powers off and charges during the night. My battery has lost very little. Will be getting the pixel 3 when it comes out. I could never put up with the bloat and slow updates of Samsung.

jdazzr

May 26, 2010
Visit site
Still runs fantastic for me. I don't forced close anything. Power cycle maybe once a week. Battery is still going decent. I was actually just thinking the other day how I have no desire to get a new phone when my contract expires soon.

ddbtek

Jan 8, 2014
Visit site
Mine works great in every respect except it has the microphone problem and I've already had it replaced once because it bricked on a reboot one day. I am forced to use a Bluetooth headset all the time and if I don't reboot every other week or so, it stops making alert sounds.

I loved the stylus on the Note series.

Gdraft#WN

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
Mine runs as good as day 1.

I do not force close apps and have only rebooted a handful of times since I got it on day 2 of release.

As for the video hoseing up when you hit stop. I had the same issue and realized it is uploading the video to the googlie cloud. When I recorded at home, no lag. When I recorded at the hockey rink where the WiFi sucked... Lag.

If I turn WiFi off and go lte, works fine.

I wouldn't really blame that on the phone, but it should be able to buffer the video, then upload later

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Still great here. I reboot every morning, charge overnight (and other times only when absolutely necessary) and use Greenify to unhook apps that just don't need to be running. Excellent results.

elbodude

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
My Pixel XL USB-C port seems to no longer hang on to the cable like it used to. Also, is just stops charging from time to time unless I wiggle it a bit. Other than that the phone is fantastic.

Lilybell2

Feb 14, 2012
Visit site
My Pixel XL USB-C port seems to no longer hang on to the cable like it used to. Also, is just stops charging from time to time unless I wiggle it a bit. Other than that the phone is fantastic.

It's quite possible that your phone's charging port has simply accumulated some debris and could do with a bit of careful cleaning. It's quite remarkable how an unnoticeable amount of lint or other debris can interfere with connectivity, but it does.

Cleaning the charging port: VIDEO: How to clean your phone port | The Charge

Just a bit of a tip on cleaning the charging port: Make sure you've powered off the phone prior to cleaning the charging port. The safest option is to cut out a piece of thin flexible plastic and use that as your pick instead of something metallic. Anything made of metal is conductive and risks damaging the charging port either mechanically or electrically.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
Since I finally received my 2016 Pixel XL 128GB in February 2017 I have loved it. I did have an issue that caused the phone to stop so I utilizedy Verizon Wireless warranty and was shipped a refurbished replacement and had no problems until the last month or more. Nothing new had been added or anything. Suddenly the phone would freeze and a few moments later go into a reboot cycle. Over the next few weeks until last Wednesday it was random. Wednesday to Thursday it went from just normally happening at night to ever 15 minutes or less. O. The last 2 weeks I did my own troubleshooting using Safe Mode and searching for any possible app that could cause any issues. Doing nothing. Did a factory reset in bootloader rather than in phone settings and spent the time of setting up everything from scratch. 1 week ago I went through Google Support online and was told by the person I was chatting with it was over her ability to do anything and would give me a case number and Google Support would follow up with a phone call ASAP. Well again the week went by and the phone became absolutely unable let to function.
Friday without having a cell phone for 1+ days I was able to contact Verizon Wireless and custom support person #1 said she saw where I did do a factory reset and that the issues I was having plus the additional battery life drain (about 3 hours before needed to be fully charged again) she would bump me up to tier 2 and most likely would be able to help me get set up. On phone with tier 2 tech and sure enough after I described the issues and explained how I carefully with through my troubleshooting she arranged for me to get a replacement. After working it out a little more I had my replacement at my door Saturday after noon time. It is Sunday night and I finished setting everything up the way I want and plan to package up the defective phone for return this week as they require it's return within 5 to 7 days from replacement arrival.

Due to the battery heat being put out with the constant rebooting their has to have been something that happened withing the device. I haven't changed any habits or apps in a while so I found it so odd for it to happen nevermind the ranndom resets to progressively increase over time.

I am thankful that Verizon Wireless customer service and the te technician I was able to work with made the trauma lessen with the quick replacement shipping.

I still have not heard back from Google oh wait I did get an email from Google asking me to fill out a survey on how their Support helped me. Well it's very hard to fill out a survey based on the lack of communication and lack of follow up. I am very surprised and expected Google Support to have worked out the problem and follow up with a way to fix it or replace it.

By the way I may have had 2 faulty devices but I bought my wife's 2016 Pixel XL 128GB phone at the same time as mine but in white and she has yet to have any issuea close to mine.

As with any phone I have every uaed, I wish the battery life was able to be extended someway. I use my phone all day for emails and browsing and phones calls mostly. I have never gotten now than 5 to 6 hours out of it Max from time unplugging charger to time next necessary to recharge.

I don't necessarily need or want to get a new phone once both of ours are paid off through Verizon. However being a tech nerd and liking to have the newest and beat when I am able to make it happen financially I will look into the Pixel 3 XL. I have no need to want to get a new phone for my wife. She had a hard enough time (still does) understanding why I carry a few different cords when we travel. Like 2 or 3 USB C to USB C cables with the Pixel chargers and always have external battery chargers that will work USB C to USB C and 3 or 4 USB A to micro USB cables and a couple chargers for any Kindle or other device we carry.

The absolute hardest thing about the Pixel line is that my Mother has to upgrade from her LG G3 and couldn't find an acceptable relacement and my Sister convinced her to get the Pixel 2 2 months ago so I had to walk her through how to charge the Pixel vs her Kindle vs iPad with all 3 needing different cords and chargers.
She frequently visits family a couple hours away from her home so I purchased a reliable and IF certified (Benson approved) wall charger that supported USB C Power Deliver and an additional USB A port that was certified up to 2.1mA at the same time. I bought her 1-3ft and 1-6ft USB C to USB C plus 2 different sizes of micro USB cords but forgot to get her a USB A to Apple Lightning cord. She called me at least 5 times what is she supposed to do. I said to leave her primary Pixel Charger with Pixel Cord at home and same with her Kindle charge and cord and just bring 1 of each type 6 ft cord and she should be able to use the 1 wall charger to be all set with less items to carry on accessories and of course forgetting the Lighting cord was my fatal flaw.
My family all met recently and shared a condo for all of us and the first thing I heard was just take everything you bought me because it doesn't work. Yes I didn't buy her a lightning cord because I forgot she had an iPad. I spent close to an hour showing her which cord plugged into which port and she finally said that's a great idea.

fragologist

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
Mine runs great. I've had mine since December 2016. The battery drains a little faster but I can get through a day. I've noticed a few hiccups here and there but overall it runs great. I really don't have much to complain about.

Christine Aflak

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
Mine has been lagging sliiiightly but that may be due to the Android P beta... and my screen is burned in to all hell. Otherwise it has held up very well!

pizza_pablo

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Mine is pretty slick and fast, even tho I don't really like it. It's my backup phone, for now. It's running the Oreo version of Resurrection Remix.

Chuckcell

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I've been observingine since I spotted this discussion.
Gotta say battery has been discharging quicker (less life?) and phone has been warmer to touch.
Also some combination of touches when I pocket it has been turning on odd bright modes - red bars, top and bottom, camera flash and even flashlight at one point. PITA for sure. Planned obsolescence by Google or Verizon, pushing the 3?

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Not awesome. Firstly, it refuses to pass internet through the hotspot function when on Verizon (but it worked when on Fi). Secondly, it occasionally loses accurate GPS and worse, cell signal. A regular reboot doesn't fix that, I have to reboot to safe mode first then reboot back to regular mode.

muzzy996

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
Loving my Pixel XL. Purchased from Google on release, currently on Verizon on an unlimited plan. I’m running stock rooted with some mods (Dolby, Viper audio, GMD Gesture Control, Tasker and Titanium w/ a bunch of stuff frozen). Absolutely trouble free thus far and loving it, just as quick/responsive as ever with adequate battery life since I’m not a heavy user. I have no desires for any upgrade since there really hasn’t been any gotta-have features yet. If the next generation of Pixel phones look good then maybe I’ll bite but for now I’m a happy camper.