HTC announces end of customs shenanigans ...

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Didn't we already know this? Isn't this why preorders were shipped? It's nice to hear SOMETHING I suppose, but at least give us some new information; not re-hashed, week-old news. And where is Sprint in all of this? I don't need Sprint or HTC to tell me it launches tomorrow, although it would be nice. Just tell us something, anything, that can be considered new information.

Sent from my E3D using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

27scoob

May 22, 2010
Visit site
And the plot thickens.... Will this really be ? Will the launch actually happen ? Stay tuned !!!

Last edited:

celticking

May 16, 2012
Visit site
Very nice. Seems like they won't be trickling out of customs like they've been recently.
My money is on June 1st for the release date.

BranLee

Jul 7, 2011
Visit site
Didn't we already know this? Isn't this why preorders were shipped? It's nice to hear SOMETHING I suppose, but at least give us some new information; not re-hashed, week-old news. And where is Sprint in all of this? I don't need Sprint or HTC to tell me it launches tomorrow, although it would be nice. Just tell us something, anything, that can be considered new information.

Sent from my E3D using Android Central Forums

I believe the "week old news" you are talking about says that SOME phones were released from customs. I think customs has to check every batch. either way, not all of the phones were released. But this new story is talking about the rest of the Evos AND the One X.

nightmare

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Sprint made an announcement about inventory levels of the phone. Now, what kills me is this; if you were going to launch a phone on 5/18 and they shipped product ahead of time to the states, why is it so difficult to launch it now that they've cleared customs? Did they honestly not plan to have sufficient stock or did they hold shipments in Asia to prevent hassles?

Bottom line, my patience with Sprint and HTC is running thin. Their inability to act in a timely fashion may be their undoing.

mech1164

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Sad part is except for the customs snafu,this is typical Sprint launch behavior. Back when the Pre was launched they had some on hand for the launch, then after that they needed to wait for the next shipment. FF a year to when the Evo came out. Same thing diff phone. It took days if not weeks to get new product after the debut. I can understand but with all this Cluster F going on you would think someone at Sprint would get on the Horn and say Fed Ex more for the pent up demand. Seems they never learn.

nightmare

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Sad part is except for the customs snafu,this is typical Sprint launch behavior. Back when the Pre was launched they had some on hand for the launch, then after that they needed to wait for the next shipment. FF a year to when the Evo came out. Same thing diff phone. It took days if not weeks to get new product after the debut. I can understand but with all this Cluster F going on you would think someone at Sprint would get on the Horn and say Fed Ex more for the pent up demand. Seems they never learn.

I have done launch phones every year since the Pre. Pre, EVO 4G, EVO 3D, and now the LTE. The 3D launch went pretty smooth, but the others have been pathetic. I thought Sprint would have their together this time but clearly they do not.

liquidxit2

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site

Yeah I kinda agree, but wont blame sprint before I blame the OEM (HTC, samsung, Palm). I went through vagueness with the epic 4g in the summer of 2010 and what a pain. It seems to be a culmination of everything from crApple, HTC and sprint. But Id lean more on crApple and HTC though as HTC is in charge of supplying the phones and crApple was in charge of pee peeing in peoples cheerios. Sprint is just the middle man and is at the mercy of OEMs battling it out or not having the right supply.

Think of it as I order 10 gallons of milk from a farmer in the hopes of giving them to friends and family. He gives me 3 right away but another farmer gets angry because I used to buy from him and delays my purchase due to his complaints when all along the farmer Im buying from only had 6 gallons to sell. Should my family and fiends blame me cause 2 farmers fought and caused a delay and one sold me 10 when he only had 6 to sell? The correct answer is No.

jpmciver

May 24, 2012
Visit site
Sprint made an announcement about inventory levels of the phone. Now, what kills me is this; if you were going to launch a phone on 5/18 and they shipped product ahead of time to the states, why is it so difficult to launch it now that they've cleared customs? Did they honestly not plan to have sufficient stock or did they hold shipments in Asia to prevent hassles?

Bottom line, my patience with Sprint and HTC is running thin. Their inability to act in a timely fashion may be their undoing.

Agreed, even if their poor planning did not identify this as a risk, AT THE VERY LEAST do a good job of communication. I haven't seen anything from HTC and only vague dodging from Sprint...even if it was a note saying, "we arent shipping until Customs clears all the shipment" or SOMETHING.

nightmare

Jun 9, 2010
Visit site
Agreed, even if their poor planning did not identify this as a risk, AT THE VERY LEAST do a good job of communication. I haven't seen anything from HTC and only vague dodging from Sprint...even if it was a note saying, "we arent shipping until Customs clears all the shipment" or SOMETHING.

Exactly. Tell us you're waiting for sufficient stock to arrive before you provide details, and many people would be more at ease with the situation. It still doesn't make sense though, given their original release plans, that there aren't a large number of phones sitting somewhere or making their way to retailers as we speak.

IMO, if they don't get the phone launched by 6/1, they've failed horribly. It WILL impact their sales once the GS3 hits the US market, not to mention all the EVO 4G and Sprint Premier 3D customers that gain eligibility as of 6/1.

BigDinCA

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
I believe the "week old news" you are talking about says that SOME phones were released from customs. I think customs has to check every batch. either way, not all of the phones were released. But this new story is talking about the rest of the Evos AND the One X.

I get what you're saying, but you kinda' missed my point: this isn't really new information. Phones have cleared Customs. We knew that. If they hadn't, how did Sprint manage to ship preorders to people, and to Best Buy and Walmart? Did the One X and the EVO have to clear separately? Possibly. As geeks, we know that they're basically the same phone, but technically they are different models, so maybe that is what HTC means when they say all of the phones have cleared. I doubt that every batch has to be checked, either. If it does then count on the batch that comes in this week, and next, and the week after, to also be delayed. Although you may be completely correct. Who knows? And that was my point. We haven't really been in the loop during this whole fiasco. It's not like this happened 9 months ago during the engineering or R&D portion of the design. I wouldn't expect any info during that process. But this is a communication issue during a flagship device launch. As the consumer and end-user of the product, I am surprised by the lack of information that came from HTC or Sprint during this. And now we will continue to wait for an announcement of an official launch. Hopefully that comes today.

Dazo

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I want it to launch already so that they could launch the white version a month later. I'm betting Friday.

Waited outside for the Pre and got it. Walked in on launch day n got an OG Evo. I'm pretty sure I will be able to do the same with the white EL TEvo (only that it'll prbz be at Best Buy).

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2