HTC Incredible - Gingerbread OTA - Current Issues

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
Ok...

For those who wish to be warned before you do this update or to those who have and are wondering what issues there, this is for you:

I have the following issues: :-\

'location dialog' pops up on hard boot (battery pull or swap).

SD card has to be unmounted and remounted after hard boot (battery pull or swap). This is the only way to access any apps on the SD card.

Market shows the Incredible as a SPRINT phone (in the app section),

Display is listed as a WVGA 4.3 inch unit.

Anyone else wish to pile on?

Lego

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
I just noticed the "4.3 inch WVGA resolution" in Display, but everything is visually accurate on my phone.

I do not see any mention of Sprint or Verizon in the Market.

---

If we're all screwed by the manual update, I wonder how hard it will be to get the official OTA from VZW. Anyone know what would be involved with that?

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
The issues I list was from the OTA...

LOL. Interesting. Then, HTC & VZW truly did miss these details before they pushed the update. I wasn't sure til now.

So, I guess HTC used a file from the Sprint pile to provide this update to VZW. Unreal. haha

wolverine2003

May 29, 2010
Visit site
I noticed with mine that when I couldn't access the apps on my SD card, I sent another app there. After several reboots, the phone could still access that app, but not the older ones. Unmounting and mounting the SD card caused my phone to not be able to access that single app, but all of the older ones showed up. I'm thinking that if you send all of the apps to the phone, reboot and then send them back to the SD card, you shouldn't have to unmount and mount anymore.

plemelin

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I did the manual rooted version to .2 and then to .3. My display settings are fine and it knows I am on Verizon. That sucks about the SD card apps. I have nothad that issue. I do get the location pop up at hard boot. I bet Wolverine is right. Move them to the phone, reboot and then to the SD card again.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine has the 4.3 as well, and I seem to remember that in the rooted version the OP stated that they "fixed" the build prop. As far as the market goes... I don't remember seeing a Verizon or any "carrier" tab in the newest version of the market. Just curious, for those who are seeing Sprint in the market, do you still have the old style market with the Games, Apps, Verizon tabs below the Featured apps?

Only issue I've seen so far is that some apps have disapeared and notifications were all set to default. I have no location prompting on reboot.

Legobricke

May 20, 2010
Visit site
I noticed with mine that when I couldn't access the apps on my SD card, I sent another app there. After several reboots, the phone could still access that app, but not the older ones. Unmounting and mounting the SD card caused my phone to not be able to access that single app, but all of the older ones showed up. I'm thinking that if you send all of the apps to the phone, reboot and then send them back to the SD card, you shouldn't have to unmount and mount anymore.

This did solve the SD card issue for me.

1.) I moved all app's from the SD card to the phone.
2.) I hard booted the phone (turned off and removed battery).
3.) I then tested a couple of app's by moving them back to the SD card.
4.) I hard booted the phone again.
5.) The app's did show up as normal, but it did takes a few minutes. I have to assume that these will appear quicker as the software (OS) settles in.

So, it seems that this worked.

Lego

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Mine has the 4.3 as well, and I seem to remember that in the rooted version the OP stated that they "fixed" the build prop. As far as the market goes... I don't remember seeing a Verizon or any "carrier" tab in the newest version of the market. Just curious, for those who are seeing Sprint in the market, do you still have the old style market with the Games, Apps, Verizon tabs below the Featured apps?

Only issue I've seen so far is that some apps have disapeared and notifications were all set to default. I have no location prompting on reboot.

It's not a tab. Click Apps then scroll down to where you see the box that says Editors Pics in the left column. Right below USED TO say Verizon now it says Sprint.

chase1963

Sep 25, 2010
Visit site
Did the OTA update this morning. Everything is running smooth. My Dinc now says i have a 4.3" screen and says Sprint below the editors box as well. :confused:

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Did the OTA update this morning. Everything is running smooth. My Dinc now says i have a 4.3" screen and says Sprint below the editors box as well. :confused:

Perhaps Verizon knows about this bug now and that is why people dont seem to be getting the OTA notification. Hopefully another OTA will be pushed in short order to fix this little bug.

Jowlah

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Perhaps Verizon knows about this bug now and that is why people dont seem to be getting the OTA notification. Hopefully another OTA will be pushed in short order to fix this little bug.

I was hoping the same thing. I know, unless there is a major problem with an update, it usually penetrates faster then this. Last year, Froyo was pushed out August 28th. It was pushed to my phone Sept. 1. So I hope if that is the reason for the slowdown, maybe Verizon or HTC caught the glitch.

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
I was hoping the same thing. I know, unless there is a major problem with an update, it usually penetrates faster then this. Last year, Froyo was pushed out August 28th. It was pushed to my phone Sept. 1. So I hope if that is the reason for the slowdown, maybe Verizon or HTC caught the glitch.

and it's probably a small glitch. I know a thing or two about Linux and this could be something as simple as an incorrect line in a configuration file or two. Obviously this also confirms what I and others have suspected, that HTC borrowed a bunch of code from the EVO release to make this one happen sooner.

Either way there really isn't anything wrong with this release other than this so those of us who have it already should be fine until the inevitable MR that happens a month or so after the official Gingerbread release.

I didn't wait for mine to be pushed last year I did it manually as soon as the link leaked here on Crackberry :)

engineer2001

Oct 13, 2010
Visit site
I never got the OTA update. I keep checking... "your system is currently up to date." Booo! My wife just got Gingerbread on her Droid 2. Where is my Gingerbread?!? LOL

anon(448477)

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Here's my list of issues:
1 - the weather app keeps defaulting to Ohio instead of my actual location of Hudson, OH. If I open Maps, it will give me the right weather, but as soon as I close it, it defaults back to OH

2 - Email notifications. Prior to Gingerbread, I always had a little bubble on my email icon that showed how many unread emails I currently have. Now it only shows how many new emails I have. If it says 4 and I only open and read 1 of them, I expect the bubble to say 3 - instead the bubble just goes away because none of them are "new".

3 - All new notifications (at the top left) are in greyscale. Yesterday my Gmail gave me a red M, today it's grey...

4 - Why can't my phone seem to remember the time? Every time I unlock it, it's flips forward from 1 hour and two minutes ago. EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! This is getting annoying.

If anyone has suggested solutions to the above, I'd be willing to try them.

TBolt

Oct 19, 2009
Visit site
Here's my list of issues:

3 - All new notifications (at the top left) are in greyscale. Yesterday my Gmail gave me a red M, today it's grey...

4 - Why can't my phone seem to remember the time? Every time I unlock it, it's flips forward from 1 hour and two minutes ago. EVERY SINGLE TIME!!! This is getting annoying.

If anyone has suggested solutions to the above, I'd be willing to try them.

#3 is the same with Gingerbread on the Inc2 -- it's just the way HTC (or, Google?) designed it.

#4 is the same with Gingerbread on the Inc2 -- it's just the way HTC designed their home clock widget. I suppose HTC figured people would like to see the flip each time they returned to the home screen. I suggest you try Fancy Widgets or Beautiful Widgets if you want the home screen clocks with all the extra info, but not the flip.

Reactions: anon(448477)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wheelchairpilot