HTC one M9 build quality issues

farzadx85

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Always been a fan of HTC. Last year I decided to buy an HTC one 801n(M7). Everything was great until the morning when I saw that the LCD screen was bloated right around the center mark! Immediately took it back for a replacement. After a lot of pain got my replacement about 10 days later here in Saudi, and didn't get much issues after that.
So a few weeks back I decided to upgrade to the M9, hoping HTC must have sorted out quality and manufacturing issues. I was using the phone for about the week when I started noticing the bezel around the screen was not perfectly straight! After looking more closely also discovered a crack above the volume key! The phone was never dropped or kept in a place under any sort of physical pressure.
As far as I think, it might be due to the over heating issue with M9 that caused the bezel frame to crack and bend at places! Really shocked to see this and wasn't expecting sub par manufacturing from HTC! Took it to axiom warranty service, they will be sending it to HTC, not sure if I will get a replacement or repair. Really disappointed.

Check out the photos and the beautiful crack!

Attachments

• IMAG1060.jpg
    IMAG1060.jpg
    494.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMAG1062.jpg
    IMAG1062.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 103
  • IMAG1063.jpg
    IMAG1063.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 112
  • IMAG1064.jpg
    IMAG1064.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 108
  • IMAG1066.jpg
    IMAG1066.jpg
    499.4 KB · Views: 119
  • IMAG1067.jpg
    IMAG1067.jpg
    465.2 KB · Views: 122
  • IMAG1068.jpg
    IMAG1068.jpg
    466.3 KB · Views: 129
  • IMAG1069.jpg
    IMAG1069.jpg
    519.8 KB · Views: 116

wmurch3

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
People really want to blame overheating for all of the physical issues they have with this phone. I've had mine for a week and it hasn't gotten even close to uncomfortably warm. My M8 got hotter than this thing.

Granted I don't play a lot of CPU intensive games but it would take a lot of heat to warp the aluminum frame of this phone.

Most likely it's just a manufacturing defect and you just got unlucky.

Posted via my HTC One M9

farzadx85

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
That's exactly what I am saying the aluminum frame is too strong (on the back) the LCD and screen is fitted into that housing. If there is even a micron movement due to heat expansion it has no where to go!
The phone used to get hot watching youtube videos forget about intensive games! Its only a matter of time before the bezel starts to bend, I think.

farzadx85

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
More great frame cracks from m9 htc

HTC really hit rock bottom with this one. Its been a month since I have returned my HTC M9. I have not received replacement and/or any sort of apology. I went to the service official service center and found numerous people with the exact same screen frame crack issue.
It got very interesting when I found a demo HTC M9 unit with the same issue!
Look at the pictures...

Attachments

• M9DEMO 1156.jpg
    M9DEMO 1156.jpg
    587.2 KB · Views: 57
  • M9DEMO 1155.jpg
    M9DEMO 1155.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 58

farzadx85

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: More great frame cracks from m9 htc

Just sent an email regarding this cracking issue(crackgate) to following;

Mark_Baker'at'htc.com Senior Director Enterprise Business Unit Americas
Cher_Wang'at'htc.com Chairman
John_Wang'at'htc.com Chief Marketing Officer, HTC Corporation
Keith_Nowak'at'htc.com Senior Public Relations Manager at HTC
Fred_Liu'at'htc.com COO of HTC
HT_Cho'at'htc.com Board Member of HTC
Peter_Chou'at'htc.com CEO
Lotus_Chan'at'htc.com VP HTC
Horace_Luke'at'htc.com Chief Innovation Officer

I will post replies...

Last edited:

farzadx85

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
wmurch3 ...
Could you please give more info... what color is your M9? and have you looked closely enough? are there any cracks on the bezel?

I am going to get a replacement, as the service manager has assured me. But he will not give me a confirmation that this will not happen again. So what should I do? Should I keep the new M9?

Last edited:

farzadx85

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
More M9's with bezel cracking issue...
I found one at a showroom of Axiom Telecom in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia and another one(grey M9) found online...

Attachments

• axiom showroom demo unit crack.jpg
    axiom showroom demo unit crack.jpg
    369.1 KB · Views: 42
  • axiom showroom demo unit crack 2.jpg
    axiom showroom demo unit crack 2.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 39
  • original.jpg
    original.jpg
    721.3 KB · Views: 38

farzadx85

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
It's surprising that more people are not uploading photos or details of their M9. In my view 4 out of 5 M9's have this problem. HTC most probably was aware of this issue at time of production. But carried on anyway.
And now HTC's response is utter silence.
Have been waiting 35 days for a replacement which they are not sure would not have the same problem again!

farzadx85

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
HTC one M9 bezel frame crack issue. HTC FAIL!

A compilation of bezel frame cracks of M9's

All of these are virtually new phones, can't imagine what a little rough usage would do to them! Anyway... enjoy...

Attachments

• IMAG1067 highlighted.jpg
    IMAG1067 highlighted.jpg
    475.9 KB · Views: 35
  • original.highlighted.jpg
    original.highlighted.jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 34
  • M9DEMO 1155.highlighted.jpg
    M9DEMO 1155.highlighted.jpg
    491.8 KB · Views: 31
  • axiom showroom demo unit crack highlighted.jpg
    axiom showroom demo unit crack highlighted.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 32

farzadx85

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Re: HTC one M9 bezel frame crack issue. HTC FAIL!

So basically most of the emails are dead... looks as though they're jumping ship! ;-)

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

mark_baker'at'htc.com
keith_nowak'at'htc.com
ht_cho'at'htc.com
lotus_chan'at'htc.com
horace_luke'at'htc.com

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

No reply received as yet from HTC

benny3

Flashoholic!!
Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Re: HTC one M9 bezel frame crack issue. HTC FAIL!

So basically most of the emails are dead... looks as though they're jumping ship! ;-)

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

mark_baker'at'htc.com
keith_nowak'at'htc.com
ht_cho'at'htc.com
lotus_chan'at'htc.com
horace_luke'at'htc.com

No reply received as yet from HTC

Wow sorry to hear this about your M9, Mine is just about perfect and i couldnt be happier with the build quality. What region are you from ? I'm in the states and ever heard anything aout this. I wonder if they bad ones are being built form the same location or not, which is possible.

farzadx85

Sep 30, 2015
Visit site
Well... yeah it tends to get quite hot here. The plastic bezel probably gets warped and cracks due to heat. The M9 snapdragon 810 is a hot cookie in itself. Just watching youtube videos tends to make it uncomfortably hot.... I think this is good feature for places with colder climates ;-)
Anyway just received an sms that my replacement is ready for pickup. Don't know whether to accept it or not?

deltadeano

Nov 12, 2015
Visit site
I have had my m9 for three months and there are 12 cracks and a slight peel from the edge. And I live in the UK where it's never hot. Come on HTC get your act together

trsbbs

Mar 12, 2015
Visit site
I suspect some drops and rough usage with no case. Purses are killers. Guys drop stuff all the time.
Mine is just like new and it's with me 24/7.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
max mays