Htc one stuck on 4.4.2 - no google play/no network

Scavour

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
Basically I feel it's safe to assume that this phone should've been updated a long time ago but wasn't (father in law)... and now is glitchy as @"#*. Gmail refuses to update, no google play and especially; zero network...
If I'm right, how do I now update to a workable OS?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Which HTC One variant is it? M7, M8, or one of the older ones (e.g., HTC One S)?

Scavour

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
Ok perhaps scratch that.....

.... I don't think it was one of the first run of lower-mid end 2012 phones. It was a new (highend) model in 2013....I think that does make it the m7...

I can't really check properly as, as is symptomatic of the problem I'm having here, the device info in 'about' is largely unavailable or 'unknown'....

There is a device serial: ht35fw913957..... shows me no hits on google

Scavour

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
I'm trying to manually update to 5.0.1 lollipop having downloaded the file.
However, trying to go into recovery after fast boot mode - instead of a red android logo with an exclamation mark im getting a generic handset logo with a red exclamation and triangle combo! Stuck on this screen with no option to navigate to stock recovery and apply new update from phone storage...

Scavour

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
I found a better explanation (on droider.eu)of how to reach recovery from red triangle and exclamation;
Hold volume up, tap power, keep holding up till recovery menu appears (quickly in my case)

Now trying to find the update on the phone....

Scavour

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
....but the recovery mode options don't let me browse for the specific file...
If I select either apply from phone storage or
Apply from sd card,
The phone simply reboots after stating 'invalidsomething' and unsuccessful something...

Scavour

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
To add detail to the glitchiness....

The home button does nothing when pressed once i.e.: doesn't go to home. Only useful for double tapping to select recent apps...

Google play services can't be accessed pop ups occur a few times after start up and on other occasions at any time

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I moved this to the M7 forum, which will hopefully get you more specific answers.

Are you saying that the Settings>About Phone>Model Name/Number field says "Unknown"? That makes me wonder if someone rooted it and flashed a custom ROM. That would prevent the official system updates from occurring.

Scavour

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
Thanks for getting back to me.

He told me that nothing has been done to it.
One day it was working like it has for years, the next it picked up no network, apps stopped working, gmail and play store errors starting popping up...
I'll double check the system info but yes I'm sure that's correct: 'unknown'

Scavour

Feb 1, 2017
Visit site
What happened was this:

The phone rang and went dead before he got to it.
He charged it from the wall and when it came back on there was

the green, circular arrows, update symbol.

When he went back to it the phone was back on but problematic as described...

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
batni