HTC U looks like a bad honor 8 copy.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
Just seen the announcement of the HTC U range and can't help but think it looks like a poor attempt to copy the honor 8.
The camera lenses are too intrusive and it looks bulky.
What seems worse to me is that the only real advantage it seems to have over the honor 8 is a QHD 5.7" screen, as the Kirin 950 is comparable to the snapdragon 821 in performance benchmarks, yet it is twice the recommended retail price!!

codeda

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
I think the back looks like a note 5. The front looks like a mashup with the v20 and who knows what. Either way I don't know what they were thinking.

orangecroc

Trusted Member
Nov 2, 2016
Visit site
I think the back looks like a note 5. The front looks like a mashup with the v20 and who knows what. Either way I don't know what they were thinking.
Right? It looks like they've run out of their own ideas, and no-one is offering them hardware partnership discounts on the parts.

digitalbreak

Trusted Member
Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
HTC One M7/M8 was their best and unforgettable phones for me. I even loved M8 with the dual lens setup just like in Honor 8. But that was too early for people to appreciate such setup. Then all of a sudden, HTC went downhill with M9...I never went back to them. I wouldn't spend $700+ for a HTC device. At that price point, I will get a S7 Edge or wait for S8.

joshwilks

Jan 12, 2017
Visit site
I suppose it's optimistic to expect complete innovation with every release. Not sure about the super-shiny back but the second screen does look nice.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I guess...
Just watched a review on the 4GB/64GB dual SIM global model and it looks pretty nice for $249.00 USD.
Too many cheap choices popping up lately.
I would agree. HTC phones are nice but just don't stand out enough. If you want to sell for a high price, isn't just enough to build a very good phone, it has to be a great phone

Just like my HTC 10... Very good phone but nothing great about it... No standout feature.

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
HTC U looks like HTC suicide.
I was thinking it looked like a last ditch effort at life. It's a good thing for them they're making the Pixel for Google.

I forget dudes name that designed the M7, but he's with Nextbit now. I think he took all of the innovation with him.

ScottsoNJ

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
It looks like it will have a better display,both of the cameras will also be better if the specs are correct. The battery size worries me though. But like you said if the price is correct they will be fighting an uphill battle when most of the high ends will probably have the Snapdragon 835

djepperson1

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Just seen the announcement of the HTC U range and can't help but think it looks like a poor attempt to copy the honor 8.
The camera lenses are too intrusive and it looks bulky.
What seems worse to me is that the only real advantage it seems to have over the honor 8 is a QHD 5.7" screen, as the Kirin 950 is comparable to the snapdragon 821 in performance benchmarks, yet it is twice the recommended retail price!!

I have the honor 8 as personal line and v20 as work line i have to be honest but that htc u line is complete rip off of them both. Both the honor 8 and v20 are better phones than what htc has put out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kevnew1