I cant use Zedge to set my alarm now. My phine isnonly allowing spotify?

• Thread starter Android Central Question
  • Start date
A

Android Central Question

So I've always used Zedge to set my alarms. Now I've had the same alarm for a pretty long time and wanted to change it. But suddenly the only app I can use is spotify. Why is this? I removed permissions to link to my clock app from Spotify but it's still the only option that shows up. And it's quite annoying cause the sound I want to use spotify dosent have. I've saved and download the sound off Zedge to my files and I still cant use it! Help please!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Are you actually trying to select a different alarm tone? That's not the same as selecting Spotify to play a song for you as the alarm.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Roughly a year ago I got a notification from Google Play Store saying that there was something wrong with Zedge. I uninstalled it then. I tried other "similar" apps with disappointing results. I saw a post about Zedge or where it was mentioned and went to the Play Store to see if it was still there and it was. I assumed that Google had flagged them and they had changed or corrected whatever was wrong, why else would Google allow them to remain in the store, right? Flash forward to a couple of months ago, alarms and ringtones came up mentioning Zedge. The ringtones no longer download to the device. In fact nothing downloads from Zedge as it did before. I was able to apply ringtones directly as the default but could not download them and then pick and choose where to use them. I also noticed Zedge really pushing this premium subscription. An ad every time I opened the app or changed my search term. So is downloading items from Zedge now a premium feature, is the app broken, did Google do or force them to do something that has caused this change, I don't know. I'm not sure why Google would send me a warning about something then allow it to remain on the Play Store. Nothing makes sense. But yes Zedge is broken. Broken forever, til they change or fix something... I can find no information.

VidJunky

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
Don't you have to download the alarm tone first and save to the alarm tone "folder"? I don't use it anymore so I'm not 100% sure

No there has always been an option to set a tone as the default for ringtone, alarms, notifications and (one more I'm forgetting). It does, it must, download it somewhere to do that but you could also just download it and then if you wanted an individual ringtone for Sally when she texted you could pick that tone. I think they all downloaded in to a Zedge folder, then. Now if you choose to set it as the default of all ringtones I'm not sure where it goes but it isn't in that Zedge Ringtone folder.

Actually this may be TMI but for anyone interested, there is a work-around I found. It worked a few weeks ago anyway, but it's long and a bit of a hassle.

Surf Zedge, find the sound you want for ringtone, alarm, whatever.

Set it as the tone for that, whatever.

It then becomes your default.

Go into settings and change your default back to what you wanted it to be. Chimes or whatever.

Now go into your messaging app or contacts or where ever you intended to use the downloaded tone.

Go through the steps of setting up the customized tone for whomever and pick the default sound picker as a selection tool.

The downloaded tone will appear in that list.

Where did it come from, where is it stored? I don't know but it should appear in that list and you'll be able to use it.

I would also imagine that it would work if you wanted, say 3 different tones all at the same time, you just got 3 new numbers for Will, Bill and Sue and you want to give each their own ringtone, I would imagine you could go in pick the first tone set as default, pick the second and set it, then pick the third and set it and do all of the changing back to the original and then setting the individual tones last. I haven't tried it that way but it seems like it should work. This was why I just downloaded them. I could grab 3, 4 or whatever then go in and set them anytime.