I deleted something that killed my service

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I rooted my phone to delete select applications that I use downloaded apps for (i.e. Launcher, browser, sms, etc)

I deleted these and I think my finger slipped and I deleted something that killed my service. My phone keeps saying no service. So, I being the idiot that I am, didn't research first and opened recovery and deleted everything. I thought it would be like when I messed up on my Samsung Moment where I could open recovery, delete everything and start from scratch. Apparently, this is not the case with the LG Optimus S... So, I rebooted and because I deleted the launcher to use my bought and downloaded one, I can't access anything and I don't have any service.

So what I'm wondering is if there is if someone can upload a backup to their phone that I can install using the standard recovery or if there is a custom recovery that I can install orrrrrr if there is a launcher apk that I can install or something using the recovery... If not, what can I do or am I screwed?

I hope there is something I can do. I can't afford a new phone, I'm high risk pregnant and I could go into labor any day now. Please help.

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Re: Help!!!! Please read!!!

try reposting in the all things root sub forum. Also do you have adb access when you boot up your phone?

early congrats on the baby ;)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Re: Help!!!! Please read!!!

I don't really know. All I know is how to follow instructions to root.

I am open to suggestions if you have any. Do you know how to factory reset via stock recovery? I only see erase user data.

reltm

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I think your phone can be saved (you're not screwed!), but the trouble is the rescue is a little complicated. There might be an easier fix if you knew exactly what you needed to undo or revert, but it doesn't sound like that is an option.

The complicated rescue that I would attempt is in this thread:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg...67361-how-simplified-unroot-return-stock.html

This is assuming that all you did was unroot the phone and that you haven't installed a custom recovery like Xionia Clockwork or ThunderC. If you have installed one of those (or if you wish to install one), you have the option of installing a custom ROM (you can think of a ROM as an operating system version, an example for the Optimus S is Reborn ROM) instead of the stock ROM that your phone came with. In my experience, installing a custom recovery is the most complicated step of installing a custom ROM, but the benefits are well worth it.

If you feel in over your head, the forum members are really helpful. jcwxguy's suggestion of posting here is a good one:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/lg-optimus-s-rooting-roms-hacks/

Good luck with the phone -- and, more importantly, with the new family addition!

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm going to try to uninstall the root but how is uninstalling it going to help?

I think if I can somehow install a custom recovery, I can save it seeing how the custom recovery usually come with a hard reset or factory reset option where as the stock recovery does.

I don't know how I can manage though because I can not check the debugging tool...

jstntp

/\C...D3\/
Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
You just need to restore a stock VD backup. You can still access recovery right?

EDIT: sorry, jumped the gun with my suggestion. If you can install a custom recovery, then you can restore the stock-VD backup from there. I'll post a couple links in a minute.

EDIT -2: This utility will install xionia custom recovery for ya: E-Z Installer. It's worth a shot.

If that works here is the Stock-VD backup. Open the zip file and copy the folder to your clockworkmod/backup folder on your sd-card and then you can restore it from recovery.

Last edited:
Reactions: reltm

jcwxguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
You just need to restore a stock VD backup. You can still access recovery right?

EDIT: sorry, jumped the gun with my suggestion. If you can install a custom recovery, then you can restore the stock-VD backup from there. I'll post a couple links in a minute.

EDIT -2: This utility will install xionia custom recovery for ya: E-Z Installer. It's worth a shot.

If that works here is the Stock-VD backup. Open the zip file and copy the folder to your clockworkmod/backup folder on your sd-card and then you can restore it from recovery.
all she had was stock recovery, USB DEBUGGING was turned off. I still managed to get it fixed

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sibi1122