I disagree with the reviews...

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
When I was researching the S3 most of the reviews were generally positive, but spoke about what the watch lacked and it's limitations. I take reviews from Android central, CNET and the like very serious when making purchases. In this case I'm glad I didn't let them scare me off. I had an apple watch series 2 paired with an iPhone 7 before switching back to android and have had multiple failed attempts at finding a fitness tracker/smart watch I liked. I took a shot with the AT&T Frontier and couldn't be happier. It actually makes me like my S7 better. The watches performance is spectacular and the battery life is getting 2 days easily. I haven't been this satisfied with a purchase in a very long time.

Blumini06

Jun 28, 2016
Visit site
I came from Apple Watch series 1 and that was very limited and didn't feel like a regular watch. I have an S3 now with LTE with T-Mobile running DIGITS on it. Its close to perfection. Additionally, with Spotify with it, just made this watch desirable to use and its ahead of its time.

OriginalMrC

Mar 23, 2015
Visit site
Another thing that loads of reviews said was the watch was too big. That nearly put me off and it's absolute rubbish. The watch is not some huge puck. All I can say is tech reviewers must have tiny wrists.

jtb79

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Another thing that loads of reviews said was the watch was too big. That nearly put me off and it's absolute rubbish. The watch is not some huge puck. All I can say is tech reviewers must have tiny wrists.

Couldn't agree more. The first thing my wife said when I put it on was, "that's a really good looking watch." She also commented on how well it fit and appeared no different than a couple of other watches I've worn.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Couldn't agree more. The first thing my wife said when I put it on was, "that's a really good looking watch." She also commented on how well it fit and appeared no different than a couple of other watches I've worn.

Yup, the hardware is awesome. I would like Google Now integration though.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
When I was researching the S3 most of the reviews were generally positive, but spoke about what the watch lacked and it's limitations. I take reviews from Android central, CNET and the like very serious when making purchases. In this case I'm glad I didn't let them scare me off. I had an apple watch series 2 paired with an iPhone 7 before switching back to android and have had multiple failed attempts at finding a fitness tracker/smart watch I liked. I took a shot with the AT&T Frontier and couldn't be happier. It actually makes me like my S7 better. The watches performance is spectacular and the battery life is getting 2 days easily. I haven't been this satisfied with a purchase in a very long time.

I keep fighting the temptation to get a smart watch. Just can't figure out why I need one and I've researched them all.

Seeker336

Jul 21, 2013
Visit site
I keep fighting the temptation to get a smart watch. Just can't figure out why I need one and I've researched them all.

I thought the same. I probably don't get more than 1-2 cell phone calls in a week. I have had my Gear S3 Frontier now for about 2 weeks, though, and love it. I like the ability to change faces, although that is not the true WOW factor for me. What I really like is the constant HR monitoring, activity tracking, and weather info at a glance. I also really like the sleep monitoring and find it to be very accurate on time going to sleep/waking and even those nature calls in the middle of the night. I started out with AOD, but changed to a 15-second display. I keep GPS, Wifi, and Bluetooth on all the time and get about 48 hours form full charge to about 10%.

Your mileage may vary.

afblangley

Aug 14, 2013
Visit site
If you approach it from the perspective of, what can a watch do that my phone can't do, there is no reason to use a watch. If you approach it from the perspective of, what am I using my phone for that can be done better with a watch, there is utility.

The first tier are tasks that can be done unequivocally faster, more conveniently, easier, or efficiently on a watch. For example, glancing at the wrist to tell time, date, weather. Novelty aside, paying from the wrist is also better than digging out a wallet. Fitness monitoring also falls into this category.

The second tier are tasks where the watch may be useful as a second screen. Short, frequent communications like SMS, calendar notifications, reminders, stopwatch/timer and other convenience applications.

The third tier are tasks that potentially could be performed by a watch but are awaiting further technological advancement. Streaming audio is an example of this. Technically possible but realistically limited because of the battery drain. But the most glaring example of this is phone calls. Again, technically possible but limited because of the need to use a speaker or BT headset. A better solution will be developed, and future generations will be amused that we used to talk into a 5" slab held to our face.

Kalvin Kerns

Trusted Member
Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

I love being able to pay using my watch. Also notifications on the wrist are handy and being able to take a phone call with my hands full (when I don't have my Bluetooth) is extremely convenient.

mountainbikermark

Feb 28, 2015
Visit site
If you love using your phone and grabbing it for many many tasks you take for granted out of habit,a smartwatch is not for you. If you'd like to be able to do most of those tasks without your phone,a smartwatch is a very nice alternative. I use my Gear S1 much like a pda. When you've got lots to do and loathe digging out the phone it's a real boon of a device.

pjwk81

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
The one thing I was shocked with regarding the reviews is that, good or bad, they all made it out to be huge and it's really not.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlatdog2024