I don't get it anymore

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
There was a time when I looked forward to seeing new phones coming out,mainly because of major issues with a current phone, better screen sizes, general improvements to the OS, because in Android's earlier days everything was lacking in one way or another and we had to root the phone, just to get 1 or 2 features we couldn't do without, but those times are long gone today.

These days, most of the flagship phones are just carbon copies of each other and none of them really that much better and aren't worth the asking prices. Most all of these new phones don't have the features I am interested in and all are over priced for what you are getting.

Since I've gotten my v20 I've come to the conclusion that I've found that 1 phone that I can be comfortable with for a very long time provided that it holds up for the long haul. It's not everyone's choice I know, but it has more inside it than anything else now or in the foreseeable future.

I have become very jaded in my life on what I like to have in a phone, and while I fully understand that my needs are my own, I just don't understand why people get excited about these new phones anymore... Seriously... It's becoming having to choose what features you are willing to give up more than it's ever been.

I could have a easier time getting it if these phones actually were better in all regards, but the truth is that they aren't and the manufacturers are lost in their respective ways trying to find a winning formula to make a successful launch. It seems that they are trying to appease the "looks matter more than anything else crowd"

Perhaps the problem is people in general in wanting a phone that is sleek and sexy in being beautiful to look at and hold and yet being completely impervious to the elements and not breaking when dropped off a building or capable of taking underwater photos.. Perhaps their expectations are too high for a delicate piece of electronics...

I see the latest craze of having the phone essentially a slab of glass with no bezels to hold on to and shake my head in disbelief. I have to ask " why?" Why would anyone want something like this? It certainly isn't easy to hold unless you put it in some type of case, and the edges have to be desensitized or something to keep from false touches... Not to mention the durability of the device is compromised . The second it is put in a case, it's looks are diminished and you have to put it some type of case otherwise you risk breaking it. I get it that difference in opinions and all of that, but what happened to common sense? This is a hand held device and no 2 person are the same. This one form factor does not work for everyone.

Now we have all of the manufacturers trying to make a dent in Apple's and Samsung's sales by copying them on several design aspects. All of these companies are heading down the same road coming out with their glass slabs. They all want a piece of that pie but have forgotten those of us who put function above forms...

Perhaps I am just getting to old and to old fashioned or maybe I just have more common sense than the majority of people who want these new styles. I don't know... It makes me wonder though. I am all for having a beautiful phone, there's nothing wrong with that, but I also know that there are limits on these designs that make them really impractical for real world use.

Perhaps I am just tired of having to give up features that are important to me, just for the sake of having a phone that is up to date. The more I think about it I think this is what is bothering me the most. Perhaps Jerry's article got me thinking about all of this too much.

I do know 1 thing though, I am happy with my v20 and hope that they will be able to make me look forward to seeing the new phones, instead of having these feelings of dread I have now.

Mac

gendo667

Trusted Member
Jun 6, 2015
Visit site
There was a time when I looked forward to seeing new phones coming out,mainly because of major issues with a current phone, better screen sizes, general improvements to the OS, because in Android's earlier days everything was lacking in one way or another and we had to root the phone, just to get 1 or 2 features we couldn't do without, but those times are long gone today.

These days, most of the flagship phones are just carbon copies of each other and none of them really that much better and aren't worth the asking prices. Most all of these new phones don't have the features I am interested in and all are over priced for what you are getting.

Since I've gotten my v20 I've come to the conclusion that I've found that 1 phone that I can be comfortable with for a very long time provided that it holds up for the long haul. It's not everyone's choice I know, but it has more inside it than anything else now or in the foreseeable future.

I have become very jaded in my life on what I like to have in a phone, and while I fully understand that my needs are my own, I just don't understand why people get excited about these new phones anymore... Seriously... It's becoming having to choose what features you are willing to give up more than it's ever been.

I could have a easier time getting it if these phones actually were better in all regards, but the truth is that they aren't and the manufacturers are lost in their respective ways trying to find a winning formula to make a successful launch. It seems that they are trying to appease the "looks matter more than anything else crowd"

Perhaps the problem is people in general in wanting a phone that is sleek and sexy in being beautiful to look at and hold and yet being completely impervious to the elements and not breaking when dropped off a building or capable of taking underwater photos.. Perhaps their expectations are too high for a delicate piece of electronics...

I see the latest craze of having the phone essentially a slab of glass with no bezels to hold on to and shake my head in disbelief. I have to ask " why?" Why would anyone want something like this? It certainly isn't easy to hold unless you put it in some type of case, and the edges have to be desensitized or something to keep from false touches... Not to mention the durability of the device is compromised . The second it is put in a case, it's looks are diminished and you have to put it some type of case otherwise you risk breaking it. I get it that difference in opinions and all of that, but what happened to common sense? This is a hand held device and no 2 person are the same. This one form factor does not work for everyone.

Now we have all of the manufacturers trying to make a dent in Apple's and Samsung's sales by copying them on several design aspects. All of these companies are heading down the same road coming out with their glass slabs. They all want a piece of that pie but have forgotten those of us who put function above forms...

Perhaps I am just getting to old and to old fashioned or maybe I just have more common sense than the majority of people who want these new styles. I don't know... It makes me wonder though. I am all for having a beautiful phone, there's nothing wrong with that, but I also know that there are limits on these designs that make them really impractical for real world use.

Perhaps I am just tired of having to give up features that are important to me, just for the sake of having a phone that is up to date. The more I think about it I think this is what is bothering me the most. Perhaps Jerry's article got me thinking about all of this too much.

I do know 1 thing though, I am happy with my v20 and hope that they will be able to make me look forward to seeing the new phones, instead of having these feelings of dread I have now.

Mac
The only thing I look forward to now if design. I feel like with most phones you can course correct the software, to a point. Disabling/uninstalling boat (at least most of it), fixing UI with launchers. I can't tell a difference in performance from my GS8 (835) compared to my LG G5(820). Honestly, I'm starting to wonder what's going to replace smartphones.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

Mac
You bring up many valid points but consumers don't always go with practical. The V20 does everything I need it to do. If they can improve upon it I would consider upgrading but it has to be a real improvement.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
The only thing I look forward to now if design. I feel like with most phones you can course correct the software, to a point. Disabling/uninstalling boat (at least most of it), fixing UI with launchers. I can't tell a difference in performance from my GS8 (835) compared to my LG G5(820). Honestly, I'm starting to wonder what's going to replace smartphones.

Performance is subjective to what you are trying to do with it.

If you are a heavy gamer then your needs are different from mine since I don't. Same for music and movies..

All performancewise of the flagship phones are roughly the same these days.

Functionality is a very different story. Everything needs to work and work well, without being gimped by any carrier.

Design is another important issue, in that the phone has to be able to sustain everyday use by anyone who buys it. Bumps, drops, weather are variables that have to be taken into consideration.

Mac

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
You bring up many valid points but consumers don't always go with practical. The V20 does everything I need it to do. If they can improve upon it I would consider upgrading but it has to be a real improvement.

I understand. Why don't they do this more often though? Why are they being encouraged to forego common sense, instead of the smarter approach of embracing the practical over the impractical ?

Mac

Ejjba

Dec 25, 2015
Visit site
Welcome to the world of capitalism
People need to buy newest and greatest or your all out of jobs
I'm retired so I don't count
It's a good thing, as you get tired of chasing the next big thing, the next generation comes alongside and continues the chase
Imho

Last edited:

mrdave570

Jan 10, 2017
Visit site
This is why I got 2 extra batteries. One of which I don't intend to use until Summer of 2018. Whats coming out now is a trend. The trends will change in 2-3 years from now. What gets me upset now is the size of phones. Most men don't carry bags or wear phone holsters. We put our phones in our pockets. I can barely fit my V20 in my pants front pocket and always have to take it out when driving or sitting down somewhere. Not to mention it's a bit bulky when dance. It barely fits in tight pants or in a bathing suit I wear to the beach. If they get any bigger, I don't know what I will do. Women can fit their large phones in their bags. The V20 is as big as I can handle.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
This is why I got 2 extra batteries. One of which I don't intend to use until Summer of 2018. Whats coming out now is a trend. The trends will change in 2-3 years from now. What gets me upset now is the size of phones. Most men don't carry bags or wear phone holsters. We put our phones in our pockets. I can barely fit my V20 in my pants front pocket and always have to take it out when driving or sitting down somewhere. Not to mention it's a bit bulky when dance. It barely fits in tight pants or in a bathing suit I wear to the beach. If they get any bigger, I don't know what I will do. Women can fit their large phones in their bags. The V20 is as big as I can handle.
I can fit the V20, S8+, etc. In my pant pockets without issue.

MDMcAtee

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site

I'm with you on the spare battery aspect, but see I'm what many consider a old foogy and I have and most likely will always carry my phone in a holster. I can do any type of dancing I want with it on, and if I go swimming, it will be in a 100% waterproof bag left ashore along with my other valuables or locked in the trunk. I've hiked all over mountains, crawling through blow downs, thickets, briar brush and even into some swamps hunting as I do, and have never had a problem with any phone I have carried..

Now I can understand wanting a smaller version of this phone, but I don't ever think that LG would consider making it.

Mac

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

Mac

Like they say, "out with the old, and in with the new". We all know looks and fashion are the big crazes these days: skinny jeans, man bun haircuts, growing your beard, etc. I'm sorta old school too and want my phone to have the necessary features that I would use in my day to day life and not just be a fashion accessory. Samsung, HTC, and Google are banking on this, making a sexy and sleek looking glass phone that makes people turn their heads and look, "Wow, that's a shiney and beautiful phone you got there! I gotta get myself that one in red!". However, months later, the glass cracks and they're like, well, there goes my phone. Time to buy another shiney phone! I definitely agree with everything you're saying, the V20 is a PRACTICAL flagship phone with a practical design. Phone is easy to hold and operate. The S8 Plus is the most annoying phone to hold and use as a daily driver (tiny bezels making it hard to hold, useless curved glass, terrible fingerprint scanner placement). I don't really have much hope for LG in the future as they seem to be following everyone else with their new designs. I'm actually looking into phones like the One Plus 5 or Huawei Mate 9, screw the fragile glass phones!

TNCattleDog

Dec 21, 2013
Visit site
Improvements nowadays are barely incremental. It makes no sense to release a new flagship which only improves slightly on the previous model.

Instead, OEM's are scaling back their support for shorter periods of time...less frequent and shorter term updates..which is supposed to encourage you to buy a new phone every couple years because yours is "outdated".

I'm not a big fan of Apple, but at least they support their phones with updates longer than their android competitors. Very sad business model.

David

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
Improvements nowadays are barely incremental. It makes no sense to release a new flagship which only improves slightly on the previous model.

Instead, OEM's are scaling back their support for shorter periods of time...less frequent and shorter term updates..which is supposed to encourage you to buy a new phone every couple years because yours is "outdated".

I'm not a big fan of Apple, but at least they support their phones with updates longer than their android competitors. Very sad business model.

David

True. Apple has one of the best customer service. Trying to reach someone at Samsung for help is a nightmare. Apple will schedule a call with you. And true, Apple does provide updates and doesn't label their devices as obsolete after a year or two.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site

You need loose pockets

flyingkytez

Banned
Jan 28, 2011
Visit site

I'm a size small in men's and it fits in most if not all of my pockets of my jeans, shorts, active wear, etc. I agree, it's the biggest size I'm willing to use for a phone, though I love the bigger screen, small screens make me want to buy a tablet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
karim174