myotherbrotherdarrell

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
After buying A thrive and thinking I would be happy I ran into the same irritating problems I was having with the Acer Iconia. Basically video playback. I have yet to find an app that plays everything I have. I have over 20GB worth of videos and I'm really not interested in transcoding all or evenm half of them just to try to get them to work on a tabley. I tried MX Player V Player Mobo Player Be HD Player (absolute garbage) and a couple of others I can't even remember. I also had a problem with the USB port. Sometimes it would recognize my thumb drive sometimes it wouldn't.
And to top it all off Toshiba just announced a new tablet that will have android 3.2 but they still can't be bothered to announce a date for the Thrive's 3.2 update.
I finally gave up and got this
2906406cv2a.jpg

ASUS - Laptop / Intel? Core™ i5 Processor / 15.6" Display / 4GB Memory / 500GB Hard Drive - Brown Suit - K53E-BBR9
and so far it's working better for me that either of the tablets. I installed foobar for music & Pot Player x64 for videos. Played a few of the 720p mp4's that were giving both tablets fits and they played with no problem at all. Played a 720p mkv file with out any problem.
I'll probably get another tablet eventually I just won't use it for video - just apps & maybe music.

Last edited:

myotherbrotherdarrell

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
It was $480 (plus 7% sales tax of course) and Best Buy threw in a free six months subscription to Trend Micro antivirus. I've used Trend Micro before and I remember it being pretty good.
So I only saved $20 but I gained a whole lot. The USB (2.0) ports work every time I plug in something it plays videos (using Pot Player) that both tablets I tried choked on. I can even play mkv's without having to transcode them first. With foobar I can play my wavpack flac monkey's audio and musepack & ogg vorbis audio files without transcoding them or worrying about what app will support what -foobar plays it all and ridiculously configurable.
The only downside is the battery life which according to this review
Asus K53E-BBR9 – Core i5-2410M | FreshGIZMOS - your daily dose of technology and gadgets news
is about 6 hours
Edit:
1080p mov & mp4 videos play fine too

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Knxnx