I modified a Style Shell and battery pack Moto Mod! (PICS)

Kashton

Banned
Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
I'm about to modify one of the Z Force's Battery Mod Back. Modding a Mod lol. Funny. This is 3m 1080 Ply material. I actually taught myself how to wrap with this material when I modified some of my dash components in my last truck I had. Once I'm done, if wrapped right, it will look like stock or it came that way. This particular material is by far the best I've found. You can buy a kit of this material at AutoZone. Comes in several color options. I've got it in metallic blue, Red, stainless steel, and black carbon fiber colors. I went ahead a bought the other battery mod at best buy which is the Incipio version. I already have the Tumi version. I'm going to mod the Incipio to this Red color. I'll post a pic of the finished modification in just a bit. I'm about to get my hair dryer and knock this mod out. Something different and unique which was what drew me to this phone in the first place. I enjoy taking something and making it my own. Here's a before pic.

Posted via the Android Central App

Attachments

• 613.jpg
    613.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 100

Kashton

Banned
Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Re: This will be my first Mod to a Mod, see pic

Here is the finished product. Looks pretty good. I may re-do it as I see a couple of minor imperfections but overall it turned out well. Looks cool on the phone also. I'll grab my iPhone and post a pic of attached to the Force in a bit. The material is so good that you can even still read the Incipio on the case. The best part is this material leaves no residue and can be taken off easier than installed just back to its original state without ever knowing it was on there.

Attachments

• 618.jpg
    618.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 88

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

I should practice with some of this. I have a vinyl cutter, but have mainly used cheap vinyl for basic signage & such. I'd like to learn wrapping odd shapes. Any reason you're only using a hair dryer, and not a heat gun?

Kashton

Banned
Jan 10, 2016
Visit site

I should practice with some of this. I have a vinyl cutter, but have mainly used cheap vinyl for basic signage & such. I'd like to learn wrapping odd shapes. Any reason you're only using a hair dryer, and not a heat gun?

When I first was learning how to become decent at the hobby, a guy who did it for a living told me just a small hairdryer at full blast is plenty enough heat to shape and mold the material. One thing of note. Even the hairdryer can get it too hot and you can actually pull too hard shaping it and it will tear or rip. Biggest tip I can give is get the 1080 Ply and 3m only. He stressed that to me and I at first didn't listen and 3m hands down once applied looks like paint and never bubbles or peels. Cheap material won't make it two weeks before loosing it's perfect stock like look. 3m will remain as it looks until you decide to remove it.

Kashton

Banned
Jan 10, 2016
Visit site

Okay here is my finished and final product. Initially I did the battery but decided to remove it and mod the ugliest fake wood ever lol. Turned out perfect. Looks just like the Blue one. I pictured both to show how real it looks. The only way you would know would be if you took it off and looked at the back. I've got several other colors in this material so I'm sure I'll post some more pics soon with some other cool colors.

Attachments

• 637.jpg
    637.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 68

Kashton

Banned
Jan 10, 2016
Visit site

Number 2

Attachments

• 635.jpg
    635.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 59

Kashton

Banned
Jan 10, 2016
Visit site

Number 3

Who needs DBrand!!! Lol. Kidding. I'm sure they will be selling pre cut material. I had to wrap and trim mine as it was not pre cut. It's fun to mess around with to get my mind off work.

Attachments

• 636.jpg
    636.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 60

YAYTech

Jul 18, 2012
Visit site

When I first was learning how to become decent at the hobby, a guy who did it for a living told me just a small hairdryer at full blast is plenty enough heat to shape and mold the material. One thing of note. Even the hairdryer can get it too hot and you can actually pull too hard shaping it and it will tear or rip. Biggest tip I can give is get the 1080 Ply and 3m only. He stressed that to me and I at first didn't listen and 3m hands down once applied looks like paint and never bubbles or peels. Cheap material won't make it two weeks before loosing it's perfect stock like look. 3m will remain as it looks until you decide to remove it.

Totally agree the 1080 is a superior product, and the right thing to use on this & other projects. I've thought about trying a car wrap, but haven't been brave enough yet. I mainly try to make sure the cheaper vinyl is being used on glass or other hard surfaces where the vinyl could be removed with a razor blade and chemicals for the adhesive, and doesn't need to be stretched, etc.

Kashton

Banned
Jan 10, 2016
Visit site
Thank you all for the cool words! I first learned a couple of years ago after watching a well crafted pro do some interior dash wrapping on my truck. Being fascinated by it, I then bought and went through a ton of material teaching myself. Still I'm nowhere good as the other guy but I can do small projects.

The post about wrapping the car! Wow that's a project and if you can do that then I need to take lessons from you. That isnt easy at all.

JAlva

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I did the same but didn't do well in the corners. I guess it's OK for my first wrap ever. I have a bigger sheet I will use when this one starts to tear. I like how it feels better than the Tumi it felt too slippery. 1471605250948.jpg

Dconn1975

Banned
Aug 19, 2016
Visit site
Hey great job on your first wrap job. What kind of material is that and where did you find it? When it comes to the curves and corners you have cut the material, heat, mold the first cut and then heat and mold the other cut. When you cut it, cut directly at the center of the curve or corner. Then stretch heat and pull tightly to make it look seamless.