I need to sms a contact group I created.

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I maintain a contacts group of over 30 phone numbers regarding car club meets. I thought i could simply go into gmail on my computer, create a new group, and then select the group in the To: field when trying to send an sms. I selected the group to appear in my contact view options, but the group does not show on my phone. is there a way to do this? I know i can create a new contact on my phone, and manually add each number, then save the contact, but there is already a "group" feature in google contacts...so how do i select a group as the recipient of a mass text?

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
i find it hard to believe that with all the seamless google integration this phone has, that i can't do something simple like select a contact group. This makes me sad. i hope someone knows how to do this!

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
does it create a separate proprietary group within the application? i mean, i guess the problem is, i wanted to use my groups in google contacts for syncing purposes, cross platform, etc. making a group in this Handcent app might be a quick fix, but it wont keep my google copy of the group synced or up to date.

mjesenovec

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
nevermind. looks like handcent sms actually recognizes and lets you sms your google contact groups. fantastic! just what i wanted.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
It does it by the category in which they are assigned. Here's a screenshot:

snap20100206_190117.png

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Hope this isn't the wrong place for this...

When I open my Handcent and try to send to a group I made thru Gmail contacts on the PC, I get the same group listed multiple times.

The screen shot Cory Streater put up shows 5 groups listed (all of the defaults) Well... mine lists all of the defaults 3 times each. Very strange.

Also, a group has contacts that have home, mobile, and work numbers. I'm asked to choose a contact for each person. Ok, I selected the preferred number. How do I save this selection? The next time I choose the same group it again goes thru the whole process of asking me which number to use.

I HAVE gone thru the Handcent menu and checked "show only mobile". and I have resynced with Google contacts.

Cory Streater

Sep 21, 2009
Visit site
prometheus: if you open the default contacts app, press menu, then display options, which accounts are set to display? Also, are you syncing with more than 1 account? I had to disable both of those things in order to get me contacts and groups to show up properly.

prometheus

Jan 5, 2010
Visit site
Corey: Thanks, I didn't know there was a "display" option there. I checked. I DID have multiple accounts set to display (all gmail). However, there are no contacts in the other accounts. I changed the settings to NOT display any other account contact info and it STILL shows 3 sets of groups. I checked my "sync" settings and I do have multiple accounts. I made sure that only 1 is set to sync with contacts. The others are only set to sync gmail.

I think you're on to something. It's definitely trying to display muliple account group info. Once I tell it to only use 1 group - why does it STILL display 3?

I did reboot and I'm using handcent

Last edited:

stunninglook3

Apr 16, 2010
Visit site
Helo

I maintain a contacts group of over 30 phone numbers regarding car club meets. I thought i could simply go into gmail on my computer, create a new group, and then select the group in the To: field when trying to send an sms. I selected the group to appear in my contact view options, but the group does not show on my phone. is there a way to do this? I know i can create a new contact on my phone, and manually add each number, then save the contact, but there is already a "group" feature in google contacts...so how do i select a group as the recipient of a mass text?

Yes i dont know about the things you want but i can suggest you the links regarding this.You will be very happy.You should send different sms over there then you will be able to do that.Go to the website.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dijablue