I probably already know the answer to this, but...

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
is there a way I can root my Optimus V with 0% chance a ruining it? I want to root my phone so I can run different ROMs, but if my dad finds out, he'll freak. (Because I'm 15.) I really want to root, but the only thing stopping me is that so-called "small" risk.

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I suggest using gingerbreak.
I have no laptop and have not broke my phone.
obviously can't risk any mistakes lol
if u need help getting a working recovery just ask
but please install a recovery and do a nandroid backup
before you do anything else at all immediately after you root.

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
if any rom u flash doesnt work or u miss a step u always have a backup.
if u have an extra microsd (I have 3) then backup to an extra =)
don't mess with anything to do with the radio, just roms/kernels.
my cool combo - Backside w/picasticks boots in just over 20 seconds.
although I've stripped and replaced many apps.
I could really do alot more with a laptop (lol)

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
thanks for the tips! I'm just super scared that I'll mess something up!
I have an extra microSD card, so I'll use that.
I just don't understand what "recovery" is... can you explain?

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
when u reboot the phone, holding vol+home,+power until the lg logo
blinks off takes you to recovery.
stock offers few options, I dunno I never even looked at stock.on this phone, I just went at it, I've rooted.phones before, an t-mobile magic, my friends evo, exploring helio's drift /mmda folder with qpst a long time ago. . .
anyways just install recovery if u have trouble doing that ask for help.
from recovery the entire system can be backed up, and u flash rom zips from there.
thats why its the first step afted rooting.

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
flashing a recovery image will not affect your ability to boot.
so until u have a working one then make a backup dont flash anything any other way I doubt u know how to if this new to u and your not familiar with linux.

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with all of this and that's what frustrates me. The most customization I'm allowed is GoLauncher EX. which is a great app, but I want more. So I want to root but I'm new at all if this

Sent from my VM670 using Tapatalk

fenrix

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
read .. a lot =)

do not edit or remove anything in the file system unless u have a backup.
but theres not many things u should change and they wont affect anything to do with booing the phone

if u were in the st. louis area I could show you my phone and explain everything.
lol
good luck

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
I really wish I did live in St. Louis! Haha. I don't know anybody with a rooted phone either. I'll just follow instructions carefully and ask about ANY doubts. Thanks again

joshlete

Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
You MUST, read carefully, MUST not reset your phone via settings though the phone. You must do it via recovery. With anything, if your not sure about something, do NOT do it. You will get anxious and frustrated, but do not do anything you don't know about. Read, read, read.

ShortRound51

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
is there a way I can root my Optimus V with 0% chance a ruining it? I want to root my phone so I can run different ROMs, but if my dad finds out, he'll freak. (Because I'm 15.) I really want to root, but the only thing stopping me is that so-called "small" risk.

Unfortunately there is risk in everything you do... Fortunately it is pretty hard to permanently brick a phone. With that said, we need a few answers to help you. First, how old is your Optimus V? Second what ROM were you wanting to use? Third what is your ultimate goal/reason (ie. Speed, storage space, etc) for the mod...? Let us know so we can help steer you in the right direction...

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, I don't know hoe old my phone is... I got it off of Craigslist unused. I know that I have 2.2.1. I want to run cyanogen. My main purpose? The speed, the interface, more storage, all of that wonderful stuff

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I'd like to eventually get Cyanogen... I'm thinking I should start with a simpler one, maybe. (Unless that one's simple enough)

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Get the IHO CM7.1 ROM, use the steps outlined in this thread:

http://forums.androidcentral.com/op...-how-simplified-root-recovery-custom-rom.html

Re-read it a few times carefully so you understand every step. But after you go to CM7, most likely it'll look different than stock, so there's no hiding that you've modified the phone.

My parents don't know much about things like this, so I'll tell them that it's just the GoLauncher that I've been using. =P

Also, which ROM would you guys suggest for a little newbie like me?=P

Edit: and I've read that a few times... I'll probably use that guide the first time I root and stuff

Ticojpunk

Recordist
Jun 6, 2011
Visit site
My parents don't know much about things like this, so I'll tell them that it's just the GoLauncher that I've been using. =P

Also, which ROM would you guys suggest for a little newbie like me?=P

Edit: and I've read that a few times... I'll probably use that guide the first time I root and stuff

A person could easily change the look by using different launchers and such, so there's no reason you should be nervous about it looking any different. It won't look "rooted", you know?

For first ROM, it really doesn't matter, just make sure it's one that's widely used, liked, and known to be pretty bug free. Harmonia is a fantastic one if you want to stay Froyo. I've tried BACKside with it CM7, also very good. Harmonia is my day to day ROM though.

Before you get too caught up in which custom ROM to flash though, I'd concentrate on learning about rooting, installing Busybox, Superuser, and a custom recovery. Then use the stock ROM rooted for a little while to get used to it. Get used to getting into the custom recovery, making backups, restoring backups, etc. Don't plan on doing it all in one night. You CAN, but I took my time and I'm glad I did. I learned a lot about root while just running the stock ROM. Then when I went to flash my first custom ROM, it wasn't as scary, because I felt I knew what I was doing before even doing it.

Last edited:

CloudBusterr

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Thank you so much! I probably should take it slow, but I'm impatient. I'll probably use Harmonia to get used to everything.

What's all of this about a "recovery image" or something like that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
huangsenyuan