News I used the Galaxy S24 Ultra for a month, and there's a problem

dwterry

Oct 22, 2015
Visit site
I felt the same. I mean, the S24 Ultra is so close to the S23 Ultra that in daily use I see no difference at all. The AI stuff may be cool and all, but except for a few "circle to search" attempts, I've done nothing different with the S24 Ultra. I upgrade every year, but this is one year I feel like I might as well have just stayed with the S23 Ultra.

Reactions: Laura Knotek

Nagisa11

Apr 12, 2024
Visit site
I mean it certainly isn't as interesting as some of its Chinese competitors. It also isn't very different from the previous generation, but unless you're upgrading directly from an S23U which I'm guessing most people aren't doing, it is still fantastic. Part of the reason I didn't get a more interesting Chinese phone when I got my S24 Ultra or another pixel device is because this is a phone that I can rely on that to do just about everything extremely well. Also, that extra brightness in the display is massive. This is the first phone I've ever used that doesn't just appear readable in direct sunlight, it appears bright and saturated. However, with the exception of circle to search and some of the AI photo things that run locally, I've never used the Galaxy AI features. I don't use Samsung's keyboard so I don't use their chat enhancement, I have not had reason to use their live phone call translation and I suspect most people probably won't, and as far as the super fancy generative AI photo editor, it's a gimmick and I don't use it.

Walter Wagenleithner

Oct 23, 2017
Visit site
I notice a big improvement in the S24 Ultra, but I came from an S22 Ultra. The screen (both the brightness and the flatness), the battery life, and the AI features are all huge improvements to me.
I also come from the S22 Ultra and yes, the screen is a big improvement. Especially the new gorilla glass armor with less reflections makes it a joy to look at. I also like the flexibility You get with the new 50 MP tele lens. And this is the first Ultra where You can switch lenses while recording video in 4k60, on all previous models You had to decide if You wanted higher fps or flexibility with the lenses before You started recording, I really hated that and i LOVE the S24 Ultra that it got rid of it

parksanim

May 4, 2023
Visit site
These phones are now appliances. You also have to keep in mind that there are reasons why the Chinese phones have massive shortcomings. And one of the hugest shortcomings is their lack of support. Look at OnePlus and what happened in India just this week. Thousands of stores in India have dropped one plus simply because there is very poor warranty support and they can't make enough money when they sell the phones. I'd rather have support and well-rounded, long-term usability with updates than today's wow feature on a phone that might die on me in a few months and have no support.

Last edited:

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
What did you expect? This is exactly what happens when you ban all competition from Chinese brands. None of those phones you listed are competing with Samsung in USA. Huge win for Samsung who can produce crappy phones as "new" tech and charge customers arm and a leg lol

parksanim

May 4, 2023
Visit site
What did you expect? This is exactly what happens when you ban all competition from Chinese brands. None of those phones you listed are competing with Samsung in USA. Huge win for Samsung who can produce crappy phones as "new" tech and charge customers arm and a leg lol
But the problems OnePlus is having has nothing to do with the USA. They have full reign in India, but just dump cheap product without proper support. This is exactly what the US blocked China for, and avoided. India is figuring it out.

FYI -- I'm in Asia, not the USA.

Last edited:

rvbfan

Jan 17, 2015
Visit site
But the problems OnePlus is having has nothing to do with the USA. They have full reign in India, but just dump cheap product without proper support. This is exactly what the US blocked China for, and avoided. India is figuring it out.
I used an iPhone 3GS for a month. Hated it!

parksanim

May 4, 2023
Visit site
I felt the same. I mean, the S24 Ultra is so close to the S23 Ultra that in daily use I see no difference at all. The AI stuff may be cool and all, but except for a few "circle to search" attempts, I've done nothing different with the S24 Ultra. I upgrade every year, but this is one year I feel like I might as well have just stayed with the S23 Ultra.
I'm a big fan of buying a year late, and used. There are enough people that have to have the latest and greatest, so a good used model is readily available at a very steep discount. Even moreso after 2 years.

parksanim

May 4, 2023
Visit site
VERY misleading headline. Only a little bit better than last year is NOT the same thing as "There's a problem." Might be disappointing that they didn't add anything earth shaking, but that's not a problem. I really hate clickbait titles.
Yes, I agree. New low-reflection screen, titanium, a flat screen removing the curve, speed increase of 30%+, AI..... quite a few differences! Although I would rather have a year-old used s23 than a current absent-support Chinese maker's trash phone. It seems India decided the same by dropping OnePlus from thousands of stores this week.

Stanley Kubrick

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
I agree with all those who criticized this article. Really amateurish on the part of the writer. I had the S23U and currently use the S24U and there are many great updates already mentioned by others here, NOT including AI which is a money grabbing gimmick to me! SMH

Reactions: 1raygin

lahoof

Apr 24, 2014
Visit site
Best of luck when your Chinese wonder toy needs support. The reviewer has absolutely no concept of what matters to "real" users. A childish click bate headline. Pointless article.

Reactions: 1raygin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thicha Jairat