I very slightly cracked the top right corner of my s7 edge, is it still water resistant?

A

AC Question

My phone fell out of my pocket (yes I had a case) and the phone hit a tiny rock on the ground a barely cracked the top corner around the edge of the screen, but just barely, is it still water resistant? just so I know how cautious I have to be.

underway99

Trusted Member
Apr 7, 2011
Visit site
I would handle the phone as though it is no longer water-resistant. As soon as you broke (sorry -- that's the best way to describe this) the integrity of the phone casing, the water-resistance was likely compromised. If the IP68 rating was a critical factor for you in choosing the S7E, I'd get the screen replaced.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Mine is cracked on the bottom left. I would never trust the phone to be water resistant ever again.

I actually replaced mine with a new one because I don't want to risk the glass breaking apart. I've seen people using phones with pieces of the display glass missing.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's true... The strength of glass, in particular gorilla glass, is in the integrity of the panel. Any tiny crack, scratch or chip reduces the panels strength.

aokusman

May 17, 2013
Visit site
My phone fell out of my pocket (yes I had a case) and the phone hit a tiny rock on the ground a barely cracked the top corner around the edge of the screen, but just barely, is it still water resistant? just so I know how cautious I have to be.
Get a cheap waterproof case off ebay. Even though my phone isn't cracked I never take it into the shower without the waterproof case.

jamezr

Trusted Member
Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

Sorry that happened to you! I would treat the crack as a chink in the water proofing armor.......Water will get through that crack....

anon(5630457)

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site

I wouldn't trust the phone's ability to be water resistant anymore with a crack in it.