uncoolcracker

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Curious if anyone knows the answer to this q. If I install the latest Ics rezound leak, will I be able to receive the ota? Please excuse my noobness.

astounded by my rezound

TrajDroid

May 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't think anybody is sure but i have heard you can but it will be a Lil more complicated than installing the leak....

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

Ezduzit

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
a6f85266-3230-37b2.jpg
I'm using the leak and it runs great, better battery life and some extra features.

Sent from my hayabusa!

yellar

May 23, 2011
Visit site
Well I would say if your s-off then you can flash the leak then when the its starts you can always flash back to gingerbread and take the ota or flash it. In my opinion if your not s-off ya might look into it because you can flash anything without to much trouble and if you don't like the leak you can easily go back.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

uncoolcracker

May 26, 2012
Visit site
Well I would say if your s-off then you can flash the leak then when the its starts you can always flash back to gingerbread and take the ota or flash it. In my opinion if your not s-off ya might look into it because you can flash anything without to much trouble and if you don't like the leak you can easily go back.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Dont laugh...but what does "s-off" mean?
astounded by my rezound

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
Dont laugh...but what does "s-off" mean?
astounded by my rezound

It basically means the last layer of security software wise is gone on your phone and you can do anything you want. Stock phones are s-on and remain that way unless you do the only method that works and you can look it up. The process I am told is safe, but scares the piss out of me.

That being said, it also means you can permanently brick(ruin forever) your phone if you do something wrong. What many like myself do is stay with just unlocking the bootloader and rooting. It is Much harder to do something disastrous that way. However it also means you have to add a step to flashing roms and you can not go backwards with updates like you are asking.

I will only go s-off if indeed to to get the ota or need to make a warranty claim and need to get the phone back to stock.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Back to the OP. There is no evidence either way that if you install the leak, via an RUU that you will not get the OTA.

It is very likely that either you will have the latest now, or if the version numbers go up, you sill just be able to take the OTA as if you were on stock. The same with root. You more than likely will be able to take a stock, rooted version of GB or ICS and OTA.

That all being said, you never know.

I am a big fan of s-off because I am lazy and have flashed a few times. If you are new, I would not say "do it right now". There is too much potential for disaster

Wilhem_Scream

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
The RUU's dont involve rooting correct? I believe I read that on another post but want to be sure. Where would I find the link here nd which is running the best if I may ask? <<<<< New to digging in my phone and being cautious. Thanks

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site
The RUU's dont involve rooting correct? I believe I read that on another post but want to be sure. Where would I find the link here nd which is running the best if I may ask? <<<<< New to digging in my phone and being cautious. Thanks

If stock, it needn't be rooted. Just make sure you grab the .zip that is for stock/unrooted phones before downloading it onto sd.
[RUU][leak] 3.14.605.10 - xda-developers

Reactions: Wilhem_Scream

Kaptain75329

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
If you install the leak, you can still get the OTA so long as the software (version) number is higher. If it's the same, then you beat Verizon to the punch and your phone isn't going to update since it's already up to date. If the official software number is lower, then going official gets complicated without s-off.

The RUU is stock and is what carrier support (Verizon in this case) would use to recover phones that have been bricked for one reason or another. It's also used to refurbish phones for resale online at a bigger discount or distribute as "certified like new replacements", which is likely why it wipes the data partition.

You should be fine if you install the leak. I've been enjoying it (genuine night and day improvement) and have not found any glaring bugs. If this were an early leak I'd recommend holding off, but at this point, there have been enough fixes that the risk is very low. That said, definitely understandable if you prefer to wait for the OTA. My guess is it's not far off now.

Reactions: uncoolcracker

Wilhem_Scream

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
If you install the leak, you can still get the OTA so long as the software (version) number is higher. If it's the same, then you beat Verizon to the punch and your phone isn't going to update since it's already up to date. If the official software number is lower, then going official gets complicated without s-off.

The RUU is stock and is what carrier support (Verizon in this case) would use to recover phones that have been bricked for one reason or another. It's also used to refurbish phones for resale online at a bigger discount or distribute as "certified like new replacements", which is likely why it wipes the data partition.

You should be fine if you install the leak. I've been enjoying it (genuine night and day improvement) and have not found any glaring bugs. If this were an early leak I'd recommend holding off, but at this point, there have been enough fixes that the risk is very low. That said, definitely understandable if you prefer to wait for the OTA. My guess is it's not far off now.

When you say the leak, are you referring to the link mentioned above or a different one? If different, is it a leak that requires rooting?

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
When you say the leak, are you referring to the link mentioned above or a different one? If different, is it a leak that requires rooting?

No leak that that I am aware of requires root. They are all flashable with a stock phone. You just pit them on the root of your external sd card and boot into boot loader. It starts flashing automatically

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

Kaptain75329

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site

Yeap. And not just that one, pretty much any leak. The link posted above to XDA is just the latest example, but if you follow Android Central and other 'droid blogs, you'll see leaks for all kinds of devices over time.

To your question about needing to have root to flash a leak, the answer is no. A leak comes from the phone maker and is sent to the carrier for approval. Because rooting is not supported anywhere along official line, the software is written expecting to be installed on a fully stock phone. Installing a leak if you have root almost always breaks root, because HTC and Verizon are certainly not going to push out rooted software. ;)

A "leak", as we know it, is always in the form of an RUU, which stands for ROM Update Utility. When HTC takes Android source code and updates it with Sense and other tweaks, they compile that into an RUU and send it to Verizon for approval, officially called "Technical Acceptance". An RUU is software intended to be used by carrier support guys behind the scenes, it's not really meant for customers to ever see it. There are rare exceptions, but that's another story.

There's a lot of back and forth on this process as bugs are identified and squashed, and during this time, a few or many RUUs could leak out. An RUU is essentially HTC (or Motorola, Samsung, ect) saying "OK Verizon, this looks good. Send it out." Verizon replies with "not good enough; fix these bugs" and so HTC goes back and it's wash/rise/repeat. Once a good one (as close to bug free as possible) is approved by Verizon (Technical Acceptance), it's pushed out via OTA (over the air) for the masses.. it's this notification that we've all been waiting for.

In the mean time, while all this has been going on, the RUU that actually makes it to acceptance has likely already been leaked and installed by more than a few eager enthusiasts, which is why the OTA wouldn't hit those folks. The exception to this rule is a scenario where Verizon releases a more up to date OTA from an RUU that never got leaked. It's rare, mostly because Verizon has a tendency to hold up the process so long that there's plenty of time to leak an RUU, but it's been known to happen that they can sometimes move fast if the changes are minor from one version to the next.

The whole thing is more complicated than what I've explained here, but I think this might help you get a more complete picture of how it all comes together. Hope this helps. :)

Last edited:

uncoolcracker

May 26, 2012
Visit site
So if I installed the newest leak, the only reason I wouldn't be able to receive the official Ics would be because I already have the version that Verizon is pushing? Also, any precautions I need to take prior and during installing this leak?

astounded by my rezound

humpagardengnome

Oct 24, 2011
Visit site

No leak that that I am aware of requires root. They are all flashable with a stock phone. You just pit them on the root of your external sd card and boot into boot loader. It starts flashing automatically

Just want to add onto NoYanks post, before you hit hboot and begin flashing. Charge your battery fully beforehand, so it won't impede the process from doing it's thing. That would be a messy affair but it's easily, 100% avoidable on a full charge. Be patient, it may take awhile to finish. Be aware, it will wipe everything on the int sd and phone storage. So back up or move files to the ext sd. You will have to fully setup your device from scratch.

Kaptain75329

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
So if I installed the newest leak, the only reason I wouldn't be able to receive the official Ics would be because I already have the version that Verizon is pushing? Also, any precautions I need to take prior and during installing this leak?

astounded by my rezound

This is the most common reason I've seen. If you install the latest leak and it turns out that version becomes the OTA, then there's nothing more to do: you're already running the latest code and so the OTA does not apply to you. Now, if the OTA is a newer version, you should be able to get it so long as you do not modify the leak by rooting and changing things around in the system partition. In my previous experience with the Thunderbolt, the OTA worked just fine even though I installed a leaked RUU. The phone was fully stock (No S-Off, not rooted, no custom recovery, ect) and had a leaked RUU installed. The OTA didn't have any problem updating the phone to the official release pushed from Verizon. I've heard simular stories from others with more Android experience than myself.

As for precautions, do be aware all RUUs wipe the phone. After the update, all your personal data, your accounts, your apps and preferences.. they're all gone. It's pretty much the out of box experience you get when you turn on the phone at the store for the first time.

Recommendations:
  • Install a backup app like MyBackup from the Play Store and backup your apps to the SD card. That way you can reinstall any app if for some reason the Play Store on the leak can't recall that you had it before.
  • Backup the SD card. That does not get wiped, but I think it's a good idea in case you accidentally do something that causes your phone to go FUBAR on you.

All that said, please remember these RUUs are technically experimental, and so there are no guarantees on anything, including that you'll get the OTA should it be a higher version than the leaked RUU you installed. There could be some problem with the RUU that would stop the OTA from pushing, or prevent the RUU from even seeing the OTA in the first place. Problems like that would easily be one reason why a particular leak wouldn't make it to technical acceptance. Your mileage may vary, and you take a risk either way. In my opinion, the Rezound has progressed to a point with these leaks that the risk is minimal. Were we still early in the dev/leak phase, I'd hold off.

If you're not comfortable with leaks, don't sweat it. I'd say hold off and wait for the OTA; I genuinely believe it will be worth the wait. If the latest leak is any indication, official ICS on the Rezound is going to be very, very elegant. I'm guessing we're just a few weeks away since the changes in this latest RUU are so minor.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
felisovci