ICS really improved over Gingerbread?

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Epic 4G for almost two years now.. Coming up to the end of my contract with Sprint and trying to decide which mobile platform to go with.

My experience with the Epic 4G has really soured my Android experience.. From my experience, I've regarded Android as a close enough but unpolished platform. I've experienced Froyo and Gingerbread on my Epic 4G.. the phone has never been rooted.. I understand no phone is perfect and bugs will exist.. However the bugs I've experienced with my Epic are what I consider fundamental operations of the phone, and they should work pretty much flawlessly... Some stupid bugs include:

- While on call, removing my phone away from face doesn't turn the display back on.. I had to pull the battery
- Trying to hang up a call and pressing end doesn't end the call.. have to pull battery
- Phone freezes at the lock screen when I wake the screen from sleep too many times
- UI is not smooth, sometimes opening the app drawer takes 2 seconds before any icons are visible.. and just random delays in processing user input all over the place .
- Random freezes, have to pull battery
- Too many inputs via the touch screen, and phone cant keep up in realtime (SMS messenger etc..)

For anyone who has experienced similar issues with Gingerbread and have been disappointed with it, does ICS represent a huge improvement in user experience?

I know iPhone is kind of dumbed down but I really like the smoothness of the UI.. my iPad has been running very smooth without any of the UI glitches or the OS freezing up. The Windows phones look pretty interesting too and the Nokia has been very well reviewed... I just read the Galaxy S 3 reviews and the phone looks to be very good. I'm just concerned about the Android OS

Last edited:

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I would chalk those specific bugs to the Epic 4G itself. The new flagship phones have greatly improved. Take a look at the One X and the SIII. You experience with Sammy's interface may sour you on the SIII but by all accounts the One X is outstanding.

Paul627g

AC Moderator All-Star
Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
I will agree with what our AC Advisor said. So much of what you described was direct problem of Sammy not putting enough effort into hammering out issues with the Epic 4g. I too rocked the Epic 4g for over a year, my wife still has hers going on almost 2. We both ran custom ROMs which the devs did an excellent job of cleaning things up.

I think with what we see in the SGSIII's advancements in quality hardware combined with ICS it should be an awesome device. Lets keep in mind Froyo was a nice step up from Eclair, bringing in Flash support and other little bug fixes and improvements but was far from being smooth.. Gingerbread improved on things a bit but still had a way to go, ICS now seems to have really pulled things together in the device to software (OS) optimizing. Things are running smoother, faster and better than ever imagined with Froyo or GB.

Good luck with your decision whichever direction you go.

ywenz

Jun 29, 2010
Visit site
Well wouldn't you know.. I read you guys' replies and it pushed me to go through with rooting and loading the ROM... It was easier than I thought.. now with CM9 Beta running ICS on my Epic 4G, the phone is literally 100% better...Even 3rd party apps run faster, notably Facebook app. I had no idea how much Samsung bloatware was dragging the hardware down!

WOW! So far the phone is amazingly responsive.. right on par with iOS and WindowsMobile experience... this on a 2 years old phone.. I actually see no need to upgrade to a new phone now.. knock on wood.. we'll see if the honeymoon phase last...

srkmagnus

Retired Moderator
May 23, 2010
Visit site
Pville said it best. Installing a custom ROM on the phone is very much like getting a new phone if the ROM is good. This is exactly the reason why I was able to hold onto my Heroc for so long before it crapped out on me forcing an upgrade.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nssimpson