ICS Update Over WIFI?

barrycinti

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
When ICS is available for download on my phone can I use WIFI since 3G is slower than dial up at my house. If I go a short distance in my hood I can get a solid 4G signal if it is the only way to get it is OTA.

THX

Optid

Jun 15, 2012
Visit site
Yes you can use WIFI. I believe Verizon actually recommends to use WIFI.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
When ICS is available for download on my phone can I use WIFI since 3G is slower than dial up at my house. If I go a short distance in my hood I can get a solid 4G signal if it is the only way to get it is OTA.

THX

Yes.

Not sure why you would think an update would only come over cellular.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

EMW220

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Yes.

Not sure why you would think an update would only come over cellular.

Well, and it is called "Over-the-air," implying a radio-based network rather than a hard line. The same question barrytest had occurred to me after a whole day of being in my apartment with Mobile Data turned off on my Razr and wondering where the hell my Ice Cream Sandwich was after touching system updates some 20 times. lol

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site
Well, and it is called "Over-the-air," implying a radio-based network rather than a hard line. The same question barrytest had occurred to me after a whole day of being in my apartment with Mobile Data turned off on my Razr and wondering where the hell my Ice Cream Sandwich was after touching system updates some 20 times. lol

There's nothing hard line about wifi? It still involves a radio.....:confused:

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Probably because the HTC thunderbolt will only update over the mobile network ....or at least mine did.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Is that a special case? I've done upgrades for people with phones like the DX and DINC2 over WiFi. I updated my unactivated DROID Pro over WiFi as well.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

..hard line? Lol

EMW220

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
There's nothing hard line about wifi? It still involves a radio.....:confused:

Yes, but your WiFi connection is being routed from your hard line internet connection via a radio signal.

All I meant was, that I think it's perfectly understandable to think that an OTA update would come directly from mobile towers to phones rather than through hard line connections.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Yes, but your WiFi connection is being routed from your hard line internet connection via a radio signal.

All I meant was, that I think it's perfectly understandable to think that an OTA update would come directly from mobile towers to phones rather than through hard line connections.

It's also perfectly understandable that carriers would want them coming over WiFi, saving their cell tower network capacity.

EMW220

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
It's also perfectly understandable that carriers would want them coming over WiFi, saving their cell tower network capacity.

I agree. My argument was purely one of semantics.

Also, "hard line" is a pretty common term for a wired connection to the internet...

carracerz14

Feb 18, 2012
Visit site

Well If you put it that way, then technically anything from the cell towers would be hard line also. Basic a cell tower is like a big router, a wired connection comes in, and wireless signal gets broadcasted out :p

Reactions: Ry

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
I agree. My argument was purely one of semantics.

Also, "hard line" is a pretty common term for a wired connection to the internet...

...I know what hard line is.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Well If you put it that way, then technically anything from the cell towers would be hard line also. Basic a cell tower is like a big router, a wired connection comes in, and wireless signal gets broadcasted out :p

:D heh

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
If you've watched the Moto vids that introduce the ICS upgrade for the Razr/Maxx, they 'suggest' (recommend?) (tell you?) to d/l the new OS via wifi.
However, many in here say thay had it already d/led to their phone overnight and may or may not have been on wifi.
Once it's d/led, it's a moot point.
They also say to install it when you have at least 50% battery charge.
(I'm taking notes on all of this stuff for a clean install on my Bionic...'soon' Moto TM!)

Reactions: Ry

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdm8700