If I flash from Gingeritis to BAMF Forever Radio Question

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
I am running what I believe are the most up to date GB radios 2.10LTE and 2.11CDMA so if I flash from Gingeritis to BAMF forever, do I need to reflash the same radios or are they a separate entity from ROMS meaning I don't have to relfash them.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
coming from my personal decision, everytime I flash a NEW rom, I also tend to flash the radios again, but thats just me. Since you are doing a full data wipe etc, I dont see how it would hurt. I know that when I went from Shiftsense to BAMF, I had to redo the radios.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
As long as the radio and ROM are compatible you do NOT need to flash the Radio again... and since you have two Gingerbread Radio's and a Gingerbread ROM you do NOT need to flash the radio files again.

I regularly flash new ROMs (always Gingerbread at this time) and do not have to touch my radio files... that being said there might be some ROMs that might spell it out specifically that they only support specific Radios, which is why you need to read the programmers notes in the first post.

fatboy97

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
strange then how coming from shift to BAMF I had no 3g or 4g till I flashed new radios..and both were GB based roms

No sure... if I were to theorize about it might actually be something in the ROM itself... but I have never seen that issue... and I do flash a lot of ROMs... in the last month I've used Gingeritis 3D, a couple versions of CM7 and all the versions of BAMF Forever since 1.0.1 was released.

I'm not trying to say it does not happen, but I really don't think you need to flash a new radio, or the same radio, every time you flash a new ROM.... but if you do run into a problem then that is a good starting point.

Tower72

Gigantic Member
Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
No sure... if I were to theorize about it might actually be something in the ROM itself... but I have never seen that issue... and I do flash a lot of ROMs... in the last month I've used Gingeritis 3D, a couple versions of CM7 and all the versions of BAMF Forever since 1.0.1 was released.

I'm not trying to say it does not happen, but I really don't think you need to flash a new radio, or the same radio, every time you flash a new ROM.... but if you do run into a problem then that is a good starting point.

I wonder...do some rom makers cook the radios right into the flash package so they get installed with the roms, while others have them as a seperate install?

Upstreammiami

Apr 18, 2010
Visit site
I wonder...do some rom makers cook the radios right into the flash package so they get installed with the roms, while others have them as a seperate install?

Radios cant be flashed in recovery (but in Hboot) so that's why they will never be packaged with rom's

chuckawd

Mar 29, 2011
Visit site
Not having to flash new radios as long as they are compatible with what ever ROM I am using makes sense because they are completely separate from most ROMs.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
For the most part, unless you're going back to a FROYO ROM that uses a pre-MR1 radio (or possibly some AOSP ROMs?), you don't shouldn't have to flash a new radio to go from one ROM to another. Every GB Sense ROM uses the same radio(s). Granted, there are a lot of radio versions out there, but every post-MR2 radio will work every Sense GB ROM.

That's not to say there may not be a reason to update the radio, or that something may occur that would require a re-flash of the radio, but just going from one ROM to another should not require radio flashing. This was much more an issue a few months ago when there were many ROMs based off of the old (pre-MR2) Froyo builds, but most of those are no longer supported.

And yes, it is not possible to flash a radio with a ROM. Radios MUST be flashed in HBOOT, and all ROMs are flashed in Recovery, so it's simply not possible.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae