If you buy outright at Verizon, do you need a data plan?

jaeisber

May 25, 2010
Visit site
For me, its the option of LTE in the future as well as having the option for a data plan when I need/want it. I know there is speculation that you may have to pay the activation fee when you re-enable the data service, but that doesn't bother me.

I plan on using my Nexus One to tether for the time being, but should I move on to a phone that doesn't have the ability to tether or I decide I like LTE better, at least I have the option.

Plus, I have been waiting for a good tablet for months and I have a trip coming up next week...

smd4usc

Jun 5, 2010
Visit site
Im in the same boat. I may remove my home road runner service once the LTE comes out in my area. Its not here yet, but getting close.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I just called Verizon Wireless ( (800) 256-4646 ), I figured since they had a press release out this morning they'd have a few things to tell me.

They really don't know anything (at least the person I spoke to).

I asked: Since the device now has a 2 year on contract price, will I even have to sign up for a plan if I just wanted to buy it out right? His reply was No, we won't be briefed on the Xoom until tomorrow but when you buy something out right you don't have to sign up for service.

I asked him if he expects there to be a lot of purchases or if it was OK for me to go to the store after work, he said I should be fine, and I quote "it's not like an iphone".

My gut tells me even though his company released a presser on the Xoom this morning he didn't know all that much about it. If someone else can call in and try to get some more details that'd be cool!

anon(52425)

Aug 28, 2010
Visit site
I called and spoke to 2 store managers and they all confirmed that you must buy 1 month of data. Its required. I brought up the whole "what if its a gift for someone else?" and he said "then your also gifting hin/her a month of data"

Chris Kerrigan

Nov 16, 2009
Visit site
I called and spoke to 2 store managers and they all confirmed that you must buy 1 month of data. Its required. I brought up the whole "what if its a gift for someone else?" and he said "then your also gifting hin/her a month of data"

I understand the requirement, but that response is a bit brash if you ask me. Not surprised, though.

2CupsWithString

passionately curious
Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
HAHA thats funny! the FCC dont protect us, they only find another way to F#ck us! its the government!

They do some OK things, like with cable boxes and other 3rd party gear for use with services. I would just think they should have some policy if you just want to buy hardware for your own use why do you need a data plan.

But I'm a bit more chill now, I'm just going to get it, get the plan and whatever they have, then when it's all done I'm going to say, OK one more thing, I need to cancel the data plan now, thanks.

bigguy_132

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
I just called and was told that YES you will need to buy a data plan out the door. As long as you do not lapse 60 days there is no activation fee if you cancel the plan. Once you lapse past 2 months there will be an activation fee. I was also told that you can suspend your data for 6 months but you can only do this once a year and thats if you keep the plan. Hope that info helps and makes sense.

I just called Verizon Wireless ( (800) 256-4646 ), I figured since they had a press release out this morning they'd have a few things to tell me.

They really don't know anything (at least the person I spoke to).

I asked: Since the device now has a 2 year on contract price, will I even have to sign up for a plan if I just wanted to buy it out right? His reply was No, we won't be briefed on the Xoom until tomorrow but when you buy something out right you don't have to sign up for service.

I asked him if he expects there to be a lot of purchases or if it was OK for me to go to the store after work, he said I should be fine, and I quote "it's not like an iphone".

My gut tells me even though his company released a presser on the Xoom this morning he didn't know all that much about it. If someone else can call in and try to get some more details that'd be cool!

dcusick1

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
Okay, just a little confused still here. If you get this off-contract, and you go month to month, is it the $20 for data, plus the $10 to add to your Family Plan? I mean, in or out of contract, you need to pay $10 for additional lines on your account, so why would this be different?

Also, people keep saying you can cancel within 3 days, and get your activation fee and a pro-rated data refund back. This is true? Why would they make you do it, just to allow you to back out 3 days later?

jaeisber

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Because most people don't know that. They are operating on the idea that we do not understand their policies. Most people would think (just like I did initially), I'll use the data service for the first month and cancel after that. I mean I paid for it and all.

But, now that I know I would get my money back, I'll just cancel as soon as I leave the store (or possibly while I am still in the store) and get my money back.

Reactions: dcusick1

tntdroid

Droiderator
Feb 19, 2010
www.flickr.com
Okay, just a little confused still here. If you get this off-contract, and you go month to month, is it the $20 for data, plus the $10 to add to your Family Plan? I mean, in or out of contract, you need to pay $10 for additional lines on your account, so why would this be different?

Also, people keep saying you can cancel within 3 days, and get your activation fee and a pro-rated data refund back. This is true? Why would they make you do it, just to allow you to back out 3 days later?

It wont have the 10 fee as its not a line of service. On your phone you are paying that ten bucks to share minutes and data. The tab has separate data you pay for. It looks like you pay the 35 to activate and the 20 for the first months data.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Reactions: dcusick1

dcusick1

Sep 1, 2010
Visit site
It wont have the 10 fee as its not a line of service. On your phone you are paying that ten bucks to share minutes and data. The tab has separate data you pay for. It looks like you pay the 35 to activate and the 20 for the first months data.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Thanks for that info. I had a short stint with a NetBook and was given a phone # for it, as well as added a $10 charge to my account. Didn't exactly see how I could use the netbook as a phone... I assumed that in order to access the Verizon Network, you needed to "log in" with your phone number, which is how the old school dial-up networking used to work when you were connected via USB.. So I guess I assumed the same rules applied to the tablets... Glad that this isn't the case.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Paulinus Ahaflex